Problems in Paradise: Poor Indoor Air Quality/A C & Ventilation

My background is that of a senior professional in the design and construction of buildings and speciafically these days in hospitality. I have worked in the tropics during my long career and specifically in the Caribbean including Dominican Republic for over 20 years.

Not everybody likes to live in air conditioned properties all the time but many expats and especially those from USA do so.

Most residences and indeed many businesses in DR do not have any air conditioning but increasingly new buildings are fitted with air conditioning systems as standard.

Building Regulations in DR are far from well defined and not as onerous on the Archtect or Builder as would be required in the UK or Europe for sure. There appears no mandatory requirement to replace the fresh within a building so many times an hour as in other countries. Infrequently do you find forced ventilation of buildings to provide fresh air.

So, for expats owners or renters of properties here who choose to close all windows and doors and turn down the temperature on your air conditioing system for their comfort, be aware that at some point or at intervals throughout the day it is prudent to open those windows to replenish fresh air and avoid poor indoor air quality and the effects thereof.

The most common air conditioning systems we find here are split a/c's and they recirculate and cool the air but do not bring in air from outside. One variation (and there are several) found on bigger and commerical properties and hotels involves the use of fan coil units in ceiling voids with short lengths of insulated ductwork fed by chilled water supplied from a central air handling and cooling unit. Again the air is generally being recirculated.

All air conditioning systems require regular maintenance to clean filters and include to ensure no contamination of condensate water collected in trays and discharged. There is a need to eliminate micro-orgaisms that can flourish in a warm humid climate.

Another problem is poorly installed ductwork and insulation which allows condensation and growth of micro organisms and moulds inside ductwork. This is harder to deal with other than replacement ductwork properly installed and spraying with chemicals that kill the moulds etc.

All expat homeowners should be aware that maintaining a nice cool living space comes with responsibilities too.

I have posted this following careful consideration of what might have been a possible factor for the recent deaths of a couple staying at a hotel on the South Coast and has not been the subject of speculation so far as I can see. It was odd to me that both suffered death in the same way with respiratory failure through pulmonary edema and had reported a problem and seen a medic days before. We await the toxicology reports in about a months time to see if their were factors which led to such a type of death so my thoughts are my thoughts only. I also read in the Sun yesterday another story about a British couple who experienced a similar type of problem recently and posted pictures of tempoarary seals around their room door. With ever increasing demands for energy efficiency and air tightness in construction and specifically for hotels noise control, many opt for entry doors with seals and good quality balcony doors. I was in one such AI in Bayahibe a few weeks back and the door seals were tight and the only ventilation was a closed window in the bathroom...it was a big room though and I opened the balcony door at night.

Food for thought if you are heavily into the use of A/C's in Paradise. Myself I prefer what nature gives us in Paradise - that steady Caribbean breeze with infrequent use of a split system to knock down the temperature when it is very hot and very humid as it has been for the past few weeks.

That's something my husband and I thought as well. We actually turned the air conditioning off on 3rd night we were there. We were there May 26 and returned June 1st. My husband started coughing about the 3rd day of being there...NO fever or flu symptoms at all. Then a couple days later we flew home (he was still coughing and chest congested) and then I started getting same thing, after a few days I went to doctor and he told me I had Bronchitis, for the most part its gone after taking the medicine and using an inhaler he gave me, but still coughing some and it's June 14th. I was little paranoid when we got home and were both sick and started seeing all the news of what was going on in DR.  But we were on the North Coast and we could of caught a germ on the ✈ plane.

Thanks for this post lennoxnev. As someone likely to be dependent on A/C to sleep during my 4-8 week stay in SDQ your post answered some questions I didn't know I should be asking.

If anyone has ANY advice or experience re the efficacy of A/C in Santo Domingo's Airbnbs I'd be grateful.

It is the cool time of year. 26C here in SD today after a few heavy showers.

I am not using the a/c these days and the breezes are steady onshore into the capital and then supplemented by the ceiling fans.

Most apartments will have split units ideally sized correctly for the rooms with no ductwork, and centralized a/c will be likely limited to hotels and the like. Centralized a/c needs more regular maintenance.

I suspect in Airbnb's you will have splits installed and you will know pretty quickly if they are not functioning well and need the filter cleaned which is easy to do. Look for a south facing apartment and at higher levels to catch the breezes the more inland you are.

Interesting information.

While I clean my filters religiously on my split A/C's, I've neglected opening windows for fresh air.

I'm going to start doing that regularly as well.

Thanks

"you will know pretty quickly if they are not functioning well and need the filter cleaned which is easy to do. Look for a south facing apartment and at higher levels to catch the breezes the more inland you are"

That's great advice. Thanks

lennoxnev wrote:

I suspect in Airbnb's you will have splits installed and you will know pretty quickly if they are not functioning well and need the filter cleaned which is easy to do. Look for a south facing apartment and at higher levels to catch the breezes the more inland you are.

Yes indeed. When we last stayed in our condo we went to bed one night and soon heard water splashing on the floor. The drain for the AC unit in the room was clogged. Lesson learned.   :idontagree:

lot of good info in here
we coming to Las Terrenas on January 10th from Canada
we going to our family Dr to get some vaccine.
but am scared about what happen to you and your husband is it because of the AC?
i have asthma and i dont want something like that to happen to me.do we need to get vaccine for Malaria too? any other recommendation we staying on an apartment airbnb

No need to worry about taking malaria pills for Las Terrenas. there have been no case anywhere near there.

If you suffer from asthma the sea air will do you a world of good.

You could ask that those that maintain the apartment make sure that the a/c filters have been routinely cleaned because you are an asthma sufferer. It is a very simple job to do yourself too.

thanks a lot my apparttment does not have AC so i beleive am safe