Renting/buying in Casa Linda and Sosua Ocean Village

I was wondering if anyone on this chat had any experience either renting or buying in Casa Linda or Sosua Ocean Village, or just information you may have heard about either of those developments. We have toured both and they both seem very nice.

Sorry I have not but I know others will.

We were owners in Casa Linda for about 3 years, sold last year.

A big issue for us was their rental program and their rental clientele. The majority of their rental program feeds off of the sex tourism industry, with renters bringing in van loads of chicas from sosua.

CasaLinda claims they are moving towards a family environment, but unless they ban the chicas, it will never happen. They will tell you all about the family stuff when they sign you up for the 2 year rental guarantee....don't believe it.

Note if you are being taken on a tour of Casa Linda, you will never be shown the sex tourism side. They are experts at showing their best features. And hiding the bad side.

I have always liked Sosua Ocean Village. Rules on sex tourism guests, right on the ocean, a better choice I feel.

Thanks, we look forward to hearing.

Thanks for your insights! I have heard that even SOV had a renter that brought in a chica. If we did CL, we would use Peggy from Caribbean Dream Vacations. Someone else on this forum recommended her, we met with her and were very impressed. She also has a maintenance team led by her husband, that seems to be more responsive than the CL Administration seems to be. Our realtor acknowledged that CL has some issues there.
SOV is spectacularly beautiful, but their ocean view villas are a little small and not cheap. At least they offer 30 year financing at 5%. The HOAs are also high, but include everything you would need except your electric, but they have a solar farm making their rate per kilowatt hours a little less than other. My wife and I are just trying to figure out why this development has not sold more of the Ocean front and ocean view lots, and why they do not have more rentals. The reinstall are a little more than CL, but what they include is absolutely amazing!

Has anyone heard a reason why they might not be selling at Sosua Ocean Village? Does anyone know what homes in Casa Linda stay on the market for so long?
Thanks in advance everyone!

Oops, typos. I was commenting that rental rates at Sosua Ocean Village are more than CL, but what they include is spectacular.

Also asking why CL villas stay on the market so long before they sell and why Sosua Ocean Village front two lines have not sold better.

My employer rented me an apartment in SOA for the few months I was there. Nice two bed apartment layout in one of 3 of the 3 level buildings surrounding each pool. The owner was Dominican apparently and rent was high. Many owned by  Dominican families who could be noisy when there and expat vistors. Did see tourists with working chicas staying over a few times. Was working long hours on site the days whilst there, so no issue for me but it is a potential issue for some expat owners who rent out for sure.

Thanks we are looking at the Ocean Deluxe villas so hopefully it would happen less rheee. We own a condo in the El Cortecito/Bavaro are of Punta Cana and we have had issues with our renters doing the same thing. These ladies also tend to take things in our condo like irons, hair dryers, etc. I hate replacing them and our Property Manager is so busy on high season, he does Check the inventory of what is there and so we cannot take from the renter's deposit. It is a problem it would seem in various parts of the country.

We rented in Casa Linda 6 yrs. ago and only stayed a couple of months because we didn't care for the wild pool parties and chicas screaming at 3 am Also felt security was watching your every move and didn't feel comfortable. I guess things haven't changed...

We've just moved into Casa Linda, full-time.  They do acknowledge the "guests" being brought in are a problem, and are serious about changing the reputation of the rental market.  From our perspective, it is not perfect, nor did we expect it to be.  But, we do love the community, our home, the friendliness of the staff, and the willingness to be better on all fronts.  Personally, I have no problem with the "guests", but the parties and noise would be an issue for us.  If we did go through with our initial plan to buy 2 properties, one being a rental, I think I would have an issue with the damage and traffic.  I personally heard an owner say their rental income dropped 90% after they took it off the "rent to anyone" list.  I feel the reputation will change over time, it can't be an instant thing.  With a strong push to marketing to families,  and enforcing the "no prostitutes" rules already in place, it can happen.  We have visited SOV, and it is gorgeous.  I don't know anything about it, other than they do finance, and it's pricey.  I don't know anyone who lives there, so I can't offer any advice.

We have bought in SOV, but not oceanfront, and absolutely love it.. We are in the Villas Marinas project within the complex. These are across from Ocean Deluxe, we have the rooftop patios. I absolutely love our developer and have had nothing but an exceptional experience with them. SOV is very strict with regards to ‘young ladies', the security is excellent. Though, our villa is due to be completed in a couple of weeks and we do not yet live there, we have stayed in the complex more than once and have become well aquainted with our new neighbors!  I have never seen or heard anything of this sort happening here. We are very happy with our purchase.
I understand that the Ocean Deluxe villas were originally build as luxury rental properties and they have now chosen to sell some of them. I don't think they are in a rush to move their inventory, it is just an option, I believe.

Hi Unclebuck, thanks for your thoughts. Have you experienced any loud night time partying since you have been there and how long have you actually lived there?

We've been here full-time for a month, and it is high season.  The most noise was Super Bowl weekend, and any "wild parties" get shut down fairly quickly by security.  As it is a concrete jungle, as most communities here are, noise echoes and carries well, but the trees and palms help with that.  The complex has just increased the security by 1/3, and all security is getting better training.  No body expects to have a silent oasis, so bit of noise and music is expected.  Anything approaching "wild" is shut down quickly.  First a warning, second they confiscate the stereo (or whatever is playing the music), third time the shut the power to the villa off.  No messing around with excessive noise here.

Thanks, that is good to hear!

Hi, we decided to buy a lot in SOV, one line further back from Villas Marinas, but on a corner so we can get an ocean view from our second floor when we build. Who is your developer since you are so happy with them?

Congratulations!

We are on Ocean Drive in the Villas Marinas development. Our contact is Bernie Tietz. They have completely exceeded my expectations.

I appreciate your referral, thanks?

Can anyone recommend a good lawyer on the North shore?

We have used Guido Perdomo for both our purchase and residency.  Very good reputation, reasonable prices, and speaks English very well.  More importantly, he communicates quickly when you need him.

Jesus Garcia Tallaj is in Sosua. Speaks really good English.  For  land / building / ownership or anything  real estate related he is excellent. AND he is not a realtor so has  NO conflicts of interest. He is at 829-695-5550 and uses whatsapp as well.  jgt@harcia-tallaj.com

Thanks, lets see if he responds to my email.

Yes, Guido Perdomo.

I used Guido in the early 2000's and continued using him until it became known to myself and many others that he took the money for transfer taxes but seldom actually did the transfer. What I got several times was a power of attorney signed by a previous owner. I would encourage each person to check and verify that the title is actually in your name.
He does speak excellent English and is the most personable attorney on the North coast.
YMMV

Thanks for the feedback.

We used Guzman Ariza and were happy with them.

Thanks!

Hi Planner, was that an email address you provided? I could not get it to work. I also tried using @ for where you put [at] and Garcia instead of harcia after the [at], but could not get any to be deliverable.

Yes you have to put the @ where it belongs.  I will double check the email address!

Thanks!

They are both bood places!  Hoose your weapon!lol

Thanks, we ended up buying a lot in Sousa Ocean Village.

@Expatlife4us

Do you like it in SOV?

@Bmrdrver

WOW, learn something new every day, thanks for sharing.

I just realized this thread is very old.  Most posts from 2019, fyi