Land title search/real estate

Hello :).

My name is Anna. Myself and a few of my friends are thinking to purchase some land in San Rafael de Yuma and looking for an attorney to check on the land's title to make sure it is clean. We also want to divide the land (it is one piece now) in parcels so each of us is the owner of his/her parcel and at the end to get the titles each parcel in a specific owner s name

Please kindly advise if you can help, what are your fees

Thank you very much in advance
Very best wishes,
Anna
Hi Ana,  Firstly, if you can get a copy of the title you can take it to the Land court or municipal office (we have one here in Punta Cana) and just ask them to check if is clean or not.  Once you decide to put an offer together I recommend getting a good lawyer to prepare your offer.  It will be conditional on a number of items, one being a clean and clear title.  A good attorney can guide you through the rest of the process.  At this moment you haven't provided much detail...

Don't accept any lawyers that are not recommended through someone you either know or have good contact with.  The forum will help you once you have some more details.

It's easy to buy land here and that's the problem!  You have to really look into what you are buying.  What purpose you want to use the land for.  It might look great but it doesn't mean you can build on it.  A good lawyer will recommend what steps need to be taken before money changes hands. 

Good luck.
@DominicanadaMike

Dear Mike, thank you very very much for your message.  We are not really looking to build but rather to have place to be able to grow produce, maybe to have live stock.  No, sorry, of course we will have some sort of housing but nothing not even close to fancy.

Would you happen to know a lawyer you can recommend?  Please kindly advise.  thank you in advance :)
Anna, welcome to the forums.  As an open forum we can give you advice and direction and it's up to you to decide who to work with.  And no one will post their fees on an open forum as it takes a lot more information to be able to discuss fees

You got good advice above.  I don't know a lawyer in that area, hopefully others do.
@planner

Thank you Rey much for your kind message and  welcome :).  Really appreciate it!!!

Hello smile.png.

My name is Anna. Myself and a few of my friends are thinking to purchase some land in San Rafael de Yuma and looking for an attorney to check on the land's title to make sure it is clean. We also want to divide the land (it is one piece now) in parcels so each of us is the owner of his/her parcel and at the end to get the titles each parcel in a specific owner s name

Please kindly advise if you can help, what are your fees

Thank you very much in advance
Very best wishes,
Anna
- @rgwsf
            Hi Anna , wow such exciting times buying your own little place. Mike is right on checking for a clear title and make sure the names on it matches the person selling that where the lawyer comes in
( a good one )  … just a thought. Before you buy maybe you want to come look at properties in the different seasons and see how they look , sometimes some places will have a nice breeze in certain seasons and others might be in a flood zone in other seasons  , like Mike' said there's plenty of land here and some is cheap  , good luck sifting though  all the good , bad and ugly……😉
@rgwsf I am assuming that you are looking for a lawyer in the area of San Rafael de Yuma.  I don't know of anyone but I can ask around if no one else on the board responds...

Just send me a PM and I will get on it...

Hello good morning and thank you for the priceless cache of information in this thread.  Like Anna, my wife and I have started looking for property in the Dominican Republic however, our case is different from yours. My wife is Dominican and we have quickly found two properties that we LOVE, but none of the sellers have titles to those properties though they have owned them for well over 30 years.

While the properties are quite beautiful and loved dearly we are very concerned about the non-titled issue. Note that the sellers have proof of payment documents and survey plans for the properties.

So, my question is, does anyone in the thread have any knowledge or advice as to how we should proceed or whether it is even REMOTELY possible for us to get any of those properties registered.

Bernard

Don't.  I understand it is a nightmare to figure this out, and the owner's word that they own the property and it is the size they tell you is worthless without the title and Deslinde.  Never ever buy an untitled property.

I would require the current owner to obtain a title and deslinde before you proceed. They will likely need it to sell to anyone, so it's just a matter of time before they have to do it.

my friend told me about  land his cousin bought right by the beach ”  beautiful “  but after she build her new house some guy came by from the gov. office to inform them that they had built their new house on government land and if they wanted they could buy it from the government $$$$$ … apparently they bought the shack that was on the government land , that the gov. had allowed people to use years ago when the poor people didn't ' have any money and no place else to live  , my friend said theres property  like that all over the DR … he said the government found it easier to let people squat on the land instead of finding as measures to deal with them , And many years later they (  government ) built apartments and little houses that they gave to the people , that people now try to sell   but they dont own the land …..  careful

You are correct. That is happening pretty frequently in the Dominican Republic. That is why anyone willing and ready to buy a property, no matter how attractive the deal can be, how cheap the property is, or that the seller is a family member, must first verify that the seller has a clean title to the property, and most important, that the seller is the legal owner and has the right to sell the property.

In addition to what happened to your friend, unfortunately, there are plenty of cases where the seller is not the only owner of the property or the seller has no legal authority to sell it but they do it anyway. When something like this happens, the buyer ends up being unable to transfer the title in his/her name because of an opposition filed by the real owners or because there are other legitimate heirs of the property and the buyer ends up losing lots of money, and the property.

Always make sure that before you buy anything you get proof that the title is "clean" and the seller has legal authority to sell the property.

There are several steps to follow and you can do it yourself, but it is recommended to use a knowledgeable attorney who can assist you with the entire process including the revision of the purchase agreement, so you won't end up in a unilateral agreement totally in favor of the seller.

As a buyer, you have the right to receive copies of any legal documents associated with the purchase and have them assessed and explained by a legal professional; and you have the right to verify if the property has any liens or encumbrances on the title, before giving any deposit to reserve the property.

Great info!

The women was able to eventually buy the property , but at first the gov. wanted a real lot of money  but my friend was able to find an attorney  that knew they were trying to get to much money

And fought in court and won

Moderated by Bhavna 5 months ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I have a copy of the title - is there a way to look up electronically to confirm the location of the parcel #?

I have a copy of the title - is there a way to look up electronically to confirm the location of the parcel #?

-@jlbrssdr

Yes, I think it is https://servicios.ri.gob.do/ConsultaGeografica

https://www.catastro.gob.do/

https://servicios.ri.gob.do/

@Tippj

This makes alot of sense.