Renting in Puerto Plata

I'm in Puerto Plata now looking for an apartment to rent. Can anybody experienced with the area advise me on some good neighborhoods?

Yesterday I had a look at a beach called Playa Dorada and a muddy settlement called El Pueblito. It seemed pretty quiet at this time of year (low season?) but there were a lot of "For Rent" signs up. Is that a good place? How reliable is the water, WiFi, etc?

Another district that was recommended to me was Costambar. Apparently there are a lot of friendly expats up there. But I don't know. I know some Spanish and prefer to experience a culture first-hand.

Also any advice about how to look for an apartment in general would be appreciated. What are some good resources? How can I get real prices and not tourist prices? I would start out with one month but could be here a long time.

El pueblito gets very  noisy weekends and in the higher seasons. I personally would not stay there.

Costambar is a mix of locals and expats but MOSTLY expats.

Puerto Plata - Torre Alta,  and Torre Alta II. Cerromar,   Bayardo (more high end) Maripica (also called Coca Cola) 

Hope that helps.  Remember within most areas you will find some good and some bad areas.

@emerald788 My wife and I just returned from Pueblito, Playa Dorada in Puerto Plata May 2023 and we "LOVED IT". The area is currently going through an investor's renovation of sorts. There is a need for a little more area cleaning, but nothing to keep someone from enjoying the area. The beach was pretty quiet on all days when there's was no cruise ship in port. The "Pueblito locals" were very friendly and great to be around.

We just returned from the Dominican from a 21 day trip. We throughly enjoyed our stay, which was directly on the Playa Dorado beach. The food was amazing on the beach. I recommend Le Petit Francois. The Wi-Fi was good - no issues.

The noise was in the daytime with music and fun chit-chat amongst the locals and expats. The level of welcoming friendship was amazing. We will be making a permanent move to Puerto Plata and would also love some information on rentals at good rates.

The water was good, we did experience low pressure once during our stay and a 4.8 earthquake, which did not last long in the middle of the night.  The trip overall and area will be one that we will return to very soon.

Good Luck and Enjoy DR!