Inversor question

Hello all,

I have bought a 3 bed house in Santiago near Jardin Botanico and I plan to retire in that home in about 15 years. However, I am currently renting it out through AIRBNB. The power rarely goes out there but when it does, its a HUGE inconvenience for who ever it renting it. Currently we do have a power bank to run the WIFI and a fan but I want something that will help power the whole house. IE: we have 4 fans, and two Tvs that I would like to have constant power if and when edenorte decides to have a power outage.

My question is; what size inversor would be suitable for my property? I see many like 1.6; 2.5; 3.6 Also, how many batteries? Again, I'm only worried about the 4 fans, wifi and maybe the 2 tv's having constant power.

Thank you in advance.

Power inverters are always matched to how much wattage you're planning on using in said system.

From my current location, I can't determine if portable solar generators are even sold in the DR; but these are definitely the best option for back-up. As they come in various wattage, complete with separate panels; and inverter built into generator. Having read a few other threads here on the power topic, I don't see any mention of them being sold in the DR.

There's no installation with these units, you can power the whole house; or even fold up the panels and take the whole unit to power beach trips.

1f600.svg

@Marcel W

You have to add up the power of all the loads that you want to run.  You can check all the nameplates and find the total kW.

Then decide how long of an outage you want to prepare for.  If using batteries, multiply the time by the power to find the capacity.

Say you want it to last 2 hours and the load is 2 kW, then you need 4 kW-hour battery.

A gasoline powered generator may be better and then you just need enough fuel to last for the time you want.

Will you switch over manually or use an automatic transfer switch ATS. That gets expensive.

If I were to do this, I would run a charger/inverter like this

https://www.tokopedia.com/megatrondotbi … gn=pdp-seo

You would probably need to have a dedicated circuit for essential equipment. You can use cheap (compared with Lithium) lead acid batteries. The power use you're describing suggests you will get a lot of hours for not much cost.

If you have air con, that changes