Rules of working for Swedish co. remotely from another EU country

Hello dear forum members.

I am a new member in this forum and looking forward to engaging with you guys in this forum :)

I am resident in Sweden and since the Covid started I've been working from home for my company which is a Swedish company doing business mostly in Sweden. Since last year I have discovered the
potential of remote working, so despite missing the social life and colleagues I see new opportunities for working fro anywhere thanks to Internet.

I consider the possibility of experiencing remote working by living in another EU country. What I don't know is if this is actually possible in the first place. So my question basically is, is it possible to move to another country in EU and keep working for my Swedish employer? Is it going to be complicated with taxes and declarations either in Sweden or host country? Would it also mean additional paperwork for the company? as this is something I want to avoid and make things as simple and transparent fro the employer as possible.

I would much appreciate your responses :)

Hi,

I was a resident working in Sweden in the past. You can definitely can find work in another EU country. Since you are a resident of Sweden, that mean to say that you can also work to other Schengen member country and shall apply a residency according to your employer who desire to employ you, to be able to stay and work at the same time, by then you will be oblige to start paying  your tax contribution to your country of residence which is Sweden.

To this you have to apply personally at the Skatteverket for them to decide and make arrangements to which documents you have to provide so that you will have to send & continue to have record of your tax contributions on monthly basis. In this case, you have to do your annual tax declaration and be able to get your tax rebate.

If you still have Swedish residency, and for that you are still oblige to come back to Sweden & report to Migrationsverket to be able to update with regards to your residency and for how long you will be out the country of residence.

I hope this might help you understand according to my own knowledge whereas if they amended the migration policy in Sweden. Thank you.

Hello Expatboyz, Welcome to the forum!

As you know Swedish tax agency has some facts that they based on to decide if a person can be counted as an inhabitant of Sweden or not. Studying and working are two of those facts, so as far as I understand it you fall into the latter category.

Then there are different things that would make things complicated for your employer such as paying employer contribution and so on.

However you also can directly contact Swedish tax agency and ask them how they would decide in your particular case, mail them  https://skatteverket.se/privat/folkbokf … 02966.html 

Nonetheless if I were you I would stay 3 to 6 months in different countries and remain registered as a swede.

Another thing to consider is that once you leave Sweden (by your own wish), your occupational health and safety related cover vanishes. Your employer will not be liable for any injuries etc that you might sustain during your work.

Yes another good point Faiz, then I forgot to mention about pension contribution, you will lose it while you stay deregistered from the country.

Hi!

It looks like i'm in a similar situation, OP have you found some answers so far? (EDIT I see now that this was posted a year ago... so I sure hope you have been able to solve this  :unsure )

I have been exploring the possibility of staying a resident in Sweden, working for a Swedish company having it's main business activities in Sweden, but having the flexibility to spend part of the year (read: as much as possible) in Portugal.

When talking about this with my current employer, I basically got a 'no, not possible' because of the following reasons:

Risks for employer
- if the employee performs work in Portugal, it means the Swedish company has business activities there and might be forced to establish a business entity in the remote working country (my work would be fully online and have nothing to do with the local market, so there might be an exception here)

Risks for employee:
- risks of double taxation in both Sweden and the remote working country (not valid I believe, as long as I would stay within certain limits, trying to figure this out currently, possibly 184 days in Sweden minimum)
- no social security/insurance coverage in the remote working country, the company's travel insurance doesn't cover this situation (could possibly be mitigated by having the employee pay for the coverage in the remote working country, but makes things complicated)

I believe that there are quite some exceptions, but it's a tricky spiderweb of rules to navigate.
Would appreciate learning from your experience if you have made any progress by now!