Adopting a pet in Sweden

Hello,

Are you a dog or a cat person? A pet can add life to a home and make an ideal travel companion during your expatriation in Sweden.

However, formalities or regulations might put you off traveling with your pet making adoption a better option.

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in Sweden?

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in Sweden?

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?

Are pet-sitting options available?

Have you ever adopted a pet in Sweden? Is he or she still with you today?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in Sweden?
For adoption there are not any special rules other than you will be registered as the owner but there are rules and guidelines to follow how to keep an animal. So normally before an adoption the shelter will check if you are capable on following those rules and guidelines.

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in Sweden?
There are two ways of adopting, from a shelter or from a private individual. If it is from a shelter, for a cat starting from 1500 SEK and for a dog starting from 3000 SEK. From private individuals, normally it is much cheaper but often you will not be able to have a veterinary certificate.

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?
It's very seldom other animals than cats, dogs and horses are for adoption. Horses are a totally different story with many and many rules, regulations, guidelines and demands involved and also very expensive to keep. Cats are much easier to adopt than dogs and the adoption procedure is almost the same for both cats and dogs.

Are pet-sitting options available?
Yes and highly appreciated by busy owners.

Have you ever adopted a pet in Sweden? Is he or she still with you today?
Yes. Firstly I and my elder daughter adopted a dog and a cat and the cat is still with her and the dog is with her cousin. After I moved to the farmhouse I adopted a dog and two cats as working animals. Dog as a guard dog and cats to prevent the place from rodents. While the cats keep doing a wonderful job the dog unfortunately became too il to save his life and had to put to sleep. (His name was Lakrits and he is in one of my pictures here in the forum).