Hiring domestic workers.

Hi all.  What are the protocols for hiring domestic workers ie; gardener/pool....do we need to get health insurance for them?  What about holiday pay or tipping if they do something extra.  How much holiday pay.....

This can get complicated if you are not careful.   Make the  gardener pool persona a contractor. They work  once a week or every two weeks its a contractor.  No  insurance needed or vacation pay etc.  Do a simple  contract in spanish saying  he is a contractor  period

Is twice a week to much

I'm in Domin8can republic I'm stuck I'm a Chef de Partir. How to fix problem and find a job even for a temporary?

What is best way to find someone as well?

Hhmmm.  Sounds like this topic would be ripe for someone with knowledge to do a major article and get it published in one of the major expat newsletters. 

A Dominican lawyer or even an accountant or CPA equivalent could do such an article, and use it as a lead to gain clients for those that do hire people as daily help. 

Or an expat with some experience hiring workers as contractors could write such an article from the perspective of "hey, this is how we did it," and provide some tips for dos and do nots.  Would need a  disclaimer that you're NOT offering legal or tax advice, just personal experience.   IL or LIOS likely would be willing to pay to publish such an article.

Or, an expat could do interviews with a few appropriate lawyers or accountants, hitting  the high points of DR employment vs. Contractor laws.  Again, a disclaimer to protect yourself against future lawsuits. 

Just some ideas.  Hope someone can grab one and run with it.  It would benefit everyone in the DR expat community, and maybe make a few bucks for yourself.

Twice a week is clearly a Contractor. Make sure you have a simple agreement.  Make sure they supply the tools and set their hours. 

Document every day they arrive and leave.  Document when they are paid. Make sure you have a copy of their ID.

Tipping is not an issue.  Giving them a tip at Christmas is cool.  It is not part of their contracted fee.

Christopher - I am sorry you are stuck here. If you don't have a cedula it's almost impossible to get work.  I am sorry.

Expatrusher - I understand what you are saying.  I will ask my labor. Lawyer for some general info on this and amplify my responses as best I can.