Full time cleaner salary range

Can someone give me a range of salary of hiring full time cleaner for an apartment and expectations/hours etc.

Thanks.

What do you mean by Full Time?
A live-in maid?

Either or someone comes daily to clean.

What city or town?

Punta Cana area

You have to be more specific I'm afraid...

It's likely a bit more costly than other areas due to transportation and distance. 

I am guessing in the range of 1,000 Rd a day including transportation.  Right now public transport is still more expensive than normal due to covid.

When negotiating salary be clear x is for salary and xx is transportation assistance. For example you pay salary of 750 and 250 transportation allowance.

That is helpful. Thanks.

Mike: Green village

Also will depend on the size of the house,  what duties are involved,  language needs etc.

Can you clarify duties. I was expecting just cleaning/dishes/etc but can include laundry etc?

Cooking, shopping,   laundry, ironing,   looking after a child,  Major  DEEP cleaning.  All those things will add.

ANd it depends on the size of your house too.

Also, the area you are in is more exclusive and travelling expenses per day need to be considered.  Not sure about the price, I would ask your neighbors for referrals or suggestions.  This area could be more of the live-in maid type.  Then that's a whole different ball game.

1000RD per day is a really generic number and will vary radically depending on many variances.  I always say, you get what you pay for.  Be sure to get references, a security clearance certificate from the police and a copy of their cedula.

@Planner - once you employ someone full time, don't you have to provide health insurance and pay taxes? Or can you still specify it as contractor labor if it's full time?

I am in punta cana and interested in the job,here's my contact *** for more details.

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : Kindly exchange your contact details by using the private messaging system please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Please don't post phone numbers and emails

DRVisitor, it's usually best to ask locals what the real cost is for such labor.  Gringos tend to overpay by 2 or 3X .

Punta Cana does not have that many locals - have to go more towards Bavaro or Veron..You get good ideas from here which helps.

Full time help is now over the line and become subject to labor laws. 

I am not positive how this is handled but will see what I can find out!

If you bring someone in periodically then people treat this as contract labour.  If you employ on a full time basis, people are paying for healthcare, severance pay and other benefits.  It will really depend upon your home and what your neighbors are doing.  You will have to speak with them to get a more accurate picture for your circumstances. Duties, also play a role.  Strictly cleaning or other duties as assigned.  Nanny, driver, get the groceries, cooking and the list goes on.  Also not easy to find a really good full time maid.

Thank you,I will keep to that

It is not east to find one. In the past we have paid between $10,000 and $12,000 pesos a month. However, the cost could vary depending on where yoh are. I would consider working with a maid service that has a good reputation if there is one in your area. We have had problems in the past when we've hired a person directly.

10,000 to 12,000 Rd is right at minimum wage here.  For full time this gets you entry level employees!

I agree Planner.  Also, you (Mk) should mention if that is with or without benefits and if it is live in or not.  It would seem to me that this would be a reasonable amount (10-12k) to pay in CC if you are including benefits and live in privilege's. 

Employing too cheap will not end well...specifically theft.

Employing through a maid service might be a better way to go at least until you get a feel for what you need and what to expect.

I also suggest you do not make your maid your friend.  Make sure you keep the relationship clean otherwise again...it will not end well.

Cheers

1,000 pesos per day (including transport!) is an OLD (2010) wage and sincerely, enslaving.  The price of everything has gone up and while you'll have people willing to take the job, they will live super poorly.  And do we come to a country to do good or not?  What are your values?

I suggest you pay for the quality of work, after a trial period.  If your maid works hard and puts in the extra effort, go up to 1200-1500 pesos/day.  Hours?  8am - 5pm.  Sometimes 7am-5pm.

My staff works from 8am - 6pm, cooks lunch and dinner, works really hard, and earns 1500/day.  Have I been stolen from and lied to?  Yes.  But less than with a different maid.  Hah!  None are perfect.  They are moody and can be vengeful. 

Re:  Health insurance benefits... no way.  Only if you have an RNC and/or are a registered tax payer.  Then you register them as an employee in TSS, pay for government health insurance, and can deduct their wages from your income.  ie.... no one gives their cleaning staff any kind of benefits.  You pay them under the table and they earn without paying taxes.  IF they get hurt on the job, you take them to the hospital.  IF they get a headache while on the job, you give them Tylenol.  WHEN they come to you and tell you all their problems and how their baby is sick, you decide if and how you want to help.  WHEN they want to buy your old flat screen TV, you decide what you want to to.  WHEN they wash your clothes with shampoo instead of telling you they ran out of clothes detergent... you get the point.

Just don't fall into the trap of paying too little.  You'll get less output than the $4-5  you are saving.

While I agree to  paying a decent wage, some of what you are saying is dangerous,.

IF you have a full time employee then you should  follow the law. You are responsible  when your employee goes to and from work.  Gets in a car accident - your fault.  Gets robbed and stabbed - your fault.

If they are full time make them legal or  you will pay the price  at some point. That goes for ALL employees,  not just  housekeepers.

I agree Planner! The folks I know that have full-time employees (housekeepers, gardeners, watchy-men), they all provide health insurance and pay into the social security equivalent.

Much better to do things above board and follow the rules!

I
Borkri, it can't be 'enslaving' to make more than the average wage.  If you pay a servant 1000 pesos a day,  how much is that per month?   Let's say they're on duty 25 days per month, that means 25k.....most don't earn that much.  Your comment corresponds to what I said above about how gringos mostly way overpay.    Ask local neighbours or dominican middle class people what they pay.  Ask them to help get some poorer relative of theirs to work, etc.   Most will be happy to earn say, 10k per month.

I disagree and here's why.
If you want to go to a country that treats poor people like servants and refuses to pay enough so they can live decently, sure, pay your cleaning lady 700 pesos per day.  She will spend 200 on transport, 50 to clean her clothes, and have 450 ($7.50 usd) left over to feed herself and her 2 children. (Sometimes 3-4 children.)

If you want to treat a hard worker well, pay fairly so she can live her life with dignity, pay 1200-1500 for work from 8-6pm.

Are you in this country to do more of the same injustice or are you here to live clean and rise above?

Minimum:  1200/day for someone that does a good job.  Is totally fair.

Make sure you don t keep her over 3 mths. at a time or you will end up paying all kinds of extra by Law if you decide to terminate her.

That is no reason to have a revolving door of staff!  Factor in the costs!

I have been reading this thread, I'm always reminded in certain philosophical questions, it's best to go with the old wise sayings that stand the test of time. One would be, You get what you pay for!" or " Do unto others as you would have them do unto You!" or maybe even, " Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right!"    Just food for thought!

All appropriate!

depends on qualifications

from 14000 to 20000 Dominican pesos a moth

Mécanicien

Rates in Dallas,TX are at least $100 for one day. Why would anyone complain about $20 - $30 a day. Can you live off of that. That's what you need to ask yourself.

@Guest123089 Really. do you want to pay $800 dollar monthly to a maid in Dominican Republic? The big majority of expatriates coming here don't make much more than that. This is ridiculous.

@ramjdmcmm because the big majority of texas citizens can not afford to pay $100 daily to a maid. People move here to have a better life and to make they money last more.

giving a job to a local is already a big help for them.

95% of USA Population can't afford $3000 monthly in maid service.

and yes they live with a lot less than $30 a day.

Who needs their house cleaned every day. If they do  they have a bigger problem to address. Food prices in RD are really high. Expats are driving rent up making it difficult to find affordable housing. I am not saying pay $100. All I am saying pay a fair wage.

Let's take this down a notch please.  We have no need to blame or mock!

What we pay here needs to be fair and balanced. Everyone needs to get their needs met whether that is one day a week or full time.  Pay fairly with an understanding of what everyone needs.  And of course within the law!

@ramjdmcmm full time maid is what the OP is looking for. Cleaning,cooking or organizing. $800 dollar monthly is triple minimum wage. When you have to pay $800 for a maid in RD it's time to go back to America.

Closed