What Can A Black Woman Do In Dominican Republic As A Business?

Hello everyone,
I am a single, mature Black lady tired and exhausted of everything that is going on in the North Amrerica.  Unfortunately, l am a highly educated, but ready to move to a place where l can have a break to breath.  I do not have money, but l am wondering if there is a possibility to start or create a business with $10,000.00 Canadians in the Dominican Republic. 

I am a former French Teacher, l have two University degrees plus a master degree l visited Dominican Republic a few times, l know visiting a place and living in that same place are two different things.  My last visit to D. R. was a total disaster however, l don't think the country has nothing to do with it rather than the people that l encountered. 

I would greatly appreciated if l can hear some experiences coming from single Black women who moved to Dominican Republic from Canada, or the United States letting me know if l need to look else where.  I have done some extensive research about the country, l learned quite a bit about the history of the country however, l couldn't find any information about if the country has evolve in terms of its dark past.  Futhermore, is Dominican Republic a progressive country or stagnant one in term of racial divisions?  I am lòking forward for your imput, thanks for everyone for reading my post.

Stay safe!

the trick to doing business in the DR is to do something that nobody else can do. if you don't, there will be a copycat on every block. the first  person who can make genuine, authentic Southern fried chicken will clean up. i have said that for as long as i have been familiar with this country.

Interesting question. The reality is with only this amount of money you don't qualify to live and work here and an investment of this amount won't provide a decent living.

My best advice is to contact international private schools and try to get a teaching position. This gets you here legally with a wage and allows you to watch and learn.

In terms of race relations - this country is racist and classist.  Slowly it's changing!

I'd suggest that you might like to speak with Kate, director at the Human Hive (new school) in El Breton on the north shore.  DM me if you like and I'll put you in touch.

Good luck!

Jay

Working as a private teacher or tutor doesnt get you qualified for a work visa or residency! 

You need a contract for work from an actual school. It will need to be a private school to earn enough to live reasonably!

Good evening,
Thank you for the info, l am looking into finding some private school online.
Have a good night

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : comment removed

We don't recommend breaking the law.  A remote teaching position does not qualify you for residency.

And we will NOT be discussing racism on these forums. 

Julian those references will be removed

She asked a legitimate question and if gave her an honest answer. You said there is racism here. My perspective is different based on how I have been treated here compared to the United States. The biggest issue in the United States is that no one wants to have open and honest conversations on racism.
But I won't comment on anything else.

Hello, Dominican here, I do not understand why you put so much emphasis on the fact that you are a Black Women, you can do the same a white, latin or any person can do in this country

Julian - we cannot get into conversations  on this  thread about racism.  IF you choose to open a thread to discuss  it in  depth  you can go ahead and do that.   

It may or may not be shut down!   That is up to the owners.

I'm not talking about racism, I'm just curious as to why she needs to point out the color of her skin

Luis comment was not directed at you honey.   You are fine.