Housing and moving to Sweden

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to move away from Ireland within a year or two, and Sweden is at the top of my list. I visited Gothenburg a few years ago and fell in love with the beautiful nature around the city, which has made me seriously consider relocating there.

However, my main concern is housing. I've done some research on Hemnet and understand that the primary form of housing is 'Bostadsrätt,' and there is a queue system in place. Realistically, how long does it take to secure a 1-bedroom apartment (preferably outside the city)?

If you don't own the property, how do people deal with housing once they retire?

Also, while I have a considerable amount of savings, I obviously have no credit history in Sweden. How challenging is it to secure a mortgage, and is there a scoring system similar to that in the UK?

I work in the Civil Engineering sector. Being realistic, how long might it take to learn Swedish well enough to apply for office-based jobs?

Last question: A friend told me that Sweden is not safe for females due to a large number of refugees and gangs. Is this true or false?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Cheers