Buying furniture in Dominican republic

Does anyone know if furniture is expensive in Dominican? Bedroom living room set and fridge and Stive plus washer spinner. Need a good place to go buy these items. Would appreciate any responses. Puerto plata area in the city. Thank you!!

So  saying its expensive or not is very different for everyone.  IT all depends on where you buy, quality and style,  how you are paying etc.

I purchased en entire living room suit for $250 USD in Santiago delivery included to Hato del Yaque.  It was local style, couch, loveseat, coffee table and 1 end table.

King size comfortable bed was 600 (frame, box spring, pillow top mattress.

I can't remember what the complete dining room set was but it was less than $400.

Sectional was $600.

Expensive items are W/D, TVs, Computers, etc.

Hope that helps.

We haven't purchased furniture yet, but our semi-automatic washer was about $400.

Hello, how are you? Can you please inbox me the name of the store?

I'm furnishing my place in Santo Domingo with furniture from a place called illumi outlet. I thought the look and price of the furniture was very nice. My Dominican friends think it's expensive but in the US, it was reasonable. Plus delivery and assembly were far less than what I'd pay in the states.  You can get nice or you can get cheap. Depends on your budget and what your tastes run.

Everything is about  your personal needs and what you  decide is important.

Ilumel Outlet - I LOVE that store............  I bought a recliner sofa there and my clients buy a lot of  pieces there!

I live in santiago, need a dining room and living room set for my place. Looking for recommendations for an affordable place

For those that bought furniture there. Can you negotiate the prices with them at illumi outlet?

Ilumel does not negotiate.

Llumel has nice furniture but thought was pricey and did not like they charged for delivery and pretty expensive as well.

I have not seen many others in Punta Cana area.

Ikea is available as well in other areas.

If you were asking me. Most of the cheapest stores are in the area of Colinas Mall in Santiago.  Can't remember which one.

my wife says 100% true on negotiation if cash on hand, she grew up in santo domingo

once we move, we are both fluent in spanish and would love to help with spanishbto anyone in need, i am mexican by birth and she is Dominican so we cam help anyome

@oldsouthphoto hi there did not catch the name of the store you bought your furniture from. We'll be needing  to furnish a large home in the near future in Cabarete. We'll be returning to the North Coast in 3 weeks. We were also thinking of having items made. For everyone else all suggestions will help. Thanks in advance!

There are a number of places on the north coast. All depends on your preferences.   And Santiago is also a reasonable option for shopping, lots and lots of options there.

I would like to know a name of the store for quality furniture because I have a whole house and 3 apartments  to furnish … any help would be helpful

What about outdoor furniture? Can anyone please provide some store names (with websites, as I'm not in DR) that would ship to Las Terrenas?

There are many furniture stores in the Capital. There's even an Ikea and an Ashley furniture store.  However my favorite store is called "Ilumel" in Gazcue.  Five floors of some of the most beautiful furniture I've ever seen. Good luck.

Joe have you been to Illumel on Lincoln and Illumel Outlet out past Carrefor???  Some great option for quality furniture!

Tippj - where are they located?

Yes, I've been to the Ilumel on Avenida Abraham Lincoln.  I believe that are of the Capital is called Gazcue. The store is huge, with 5 floors of beautiful furniture. The store also has a separate area for very expensive high end furniture as well.

The illumel in ave Lincoln, isn't this area called  Naco or Piantini. I'm looking for one in Gazcue and I do not see it.

And are they both outlets or equal pricing?

Yes. I wasn't sure of the area name. So many Ensanche's...😅😅😅

Illumel is on Lincoln and it's Piantini not Gazcue.

Different pricing and selection in illumel outlet.  It's what didn't sell, last year's models etc.  I and my clients have purchased multiple items in both locations!

I ordered 3 sets of patio furniture from Amazon to freight forwarder in Miami and set via boat, taxes and freight was still cheaper than one set in the DR, if you can find anything good... right now

LOL, I know. I can't keep up

Hola …. I was wondering if you have any consideration on furniture stores  in or near puerto plata  I'm looking for contemporary  , not cheap and not to expensive it's basically for rental apartments

Try Sabanette, probably misspelled. Few miles East of Cabarete.  Beautiful store, multi story with everything for house furnishings.  Good prices, delivery, Down Hwy 5 past Cabarete about 8-10 miles on left, just before town,  Can't miss it.

I will check this out-  I find DR furniture  extremely expensive no matter any economic status- and I am a former loft owner in  NYC - which you would think it can't get more expensive than that —

Tippj wrote:

Hola …. I was wondering if you have any consideration on furniture stores  in or near puerto plata  I'm looking for contemporary  , not cheap and not to expensive it's basically for rental apartments

Sorry. I keep messing up. Trying to reply to @DINOSINC while using my phone-

dinosinc wrote:

I ordered 3 sets of patio furniture from Amazon to freight forwarder in Miami and set via boat, taxes and freight was still cheaper than one set in the DR, if you can find anything good... right now

What tax rate was applied to the furniture? We've only had to pay an import tax once. It was on a light fixture for the home we're building and the rate was about 40%!

Sounds like she used a mudanza----0% tax

Hola, I was reading your post and was wondering if the 40% of the light fixture ?

With a mudanza company the tax is built in.  You do pay it but its buried!

Tippj -  40% would be the duty on what would be considered a luxury item rather than a basic fixture and would be over US 200 in value or aggregate value. On top of that you pay sales tax.

tax was built into the shipping cost, total weight was 400 lbs Miami to Sosua for all three sets total 1000.00

I found Sabaneta Shopping Centre on Google maps which is almost 6 hours from Punta Cana, would that be the right place?

planner wrote:

With a mudanza company the tax is built in.  You do pay it but its buried!

Tippj -  40% would be the duty on what would be considered a luxury item rather than a basic fixture and would be over US 200 in value or aggregate value. On top of that you pay sales tax.

Of course it's built in.... but nowhere near 40%

Cheapest way to ship = mudanza
I often send just one box (2x2x3)... $35

Absolutely  no where near  40%.  Some things are always  0 and some 10 or 20 % depends.