Prescript Meds Question: Ozempic?

Hey, everyone. Hope everybody is having good days/week/months/life!

I'm a Type 2 Diabetic, previously only on Metformin, which I know is available in the DR. However, I've just been prescribed the add-on Ozempic drug. I did a search on the Forum here, and could find no mentions...

So, anyone have any knowledge/experience in whether Ozempic is available in the DR? Costs?

• I also did a search for it on Carol Farmacia (DR), and no luck.
  • Anyone else getting it from another farmacia or having it shipped in?

Ozempic has helped me enough that it "might" be the one medication that I wouldn't be able to do without. Anyone else have experience with getting specific/unique meds shipped into the DR? Any tips?

• I'm guessing the normal advice of "ship it to a mail forwarder in Miami with a street address, they'll forward it to you in the DR," isn't going to work for Ozempic -- as it is a temperature-sensitive drug. They ship it with a couple of cold packs in a well-insulated box, and the hope is that it arrives before the meds go bad (and they will go bad, without consistent cool temps).
  • I'm confident the insulated package will arrive to Miami (or wherever) just fine. \
  • But how fast will it ship from there to the DR? How many days in transit? What are the odds it will get exposed to high temps enroute, especially April thru October?

As always, comments/advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Jim

ExpatRusher

ozempic (semaglutide) showing available @ armaciasloshidalgos.com.do . you can probably find in your area of DR under the semaglutide name.

I found it at Carol pharmacy in Las Terrenas.  I believe that is a national chain, so you should be able to get it at other ones or have them order it?

It was a 4mg pen that dispenses 4 doses.  I think the math worked out to be way cheaper that the US at about $250/mo.

It came refrigerated so I'm assuming they are handling it correctly.  It was brand name Ozempic not a generic.  I told them I was looking for semaglutide and that's what they gave me no problem.  No Rx needed of course.

Good luck 👍

Ashley

Yes it's available!  Readily available

@ExpatRusher

FWIW, you can quickly have your prescriptions shipped from a package reshipper to the DR! Each 1lb shipment will cost less than 5 bucks US.

I would do all I could to avoid buying prescription drugs in the DR. There is nothing in the DR like the FDA to ensure that the drug you get is the drug on the label, that it is the strength and concentration that you need, etc.

This is a refrigerated drug we're talking here

This is a refrigerated drug we're talking here
-@WillieWeb

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention! 1f611.svg

Carol Farmicia shows Ozempic as available in two doses.  Cost is 200-300 usd for a month

@ExpatRusher

OK, life lessons about pharmacy products in the DR:

In the past, from my own personal experience, it has usually been the case that if Pharmacy Carol didn't have it, no one else did.  Things have changed over the last 20 years (for the better) and as I mentioned in another post Pharmacy GBC has some of the best prices but they might not have everything either.  Dominicans love monopolies and in many cases one pharmacy chain may have the exclusive right to import and sell a certain brand.  So, just keep that in mind (try and ask at a few different pharmacy chains).

With that said, also know that pharmaceuticals are marketed under different brand names globally.  So, the brand name for whatever medication may be called something else in Europe, South America, etc.  Some of the pharmaceuticals sold here may be bought from the distributor in Europe (not the US) or from Columbia, Honduras, where ever.  As a result you need to walk into the pharmacy will a list of ALLthe known names for something, including the generic name.  The clerk is going to type the name into the computer screen and say yes we have that or no we don't without knowing what I just wrote. Don't think for a minute the clerk in the pharmacy knows more than you about this topic.

In terms of OZEMPIC:  the generic name is Semaglutide, sold under the brand names Ozempic, Wegovy and Rybelsus, is an antidiabetic medication used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes and an anti-obesity medication used for long-term weight management, developed by Novo Nordisk in 2012.  The claim is it also available in tablet form but they may or not may not be what you can substitute (maybe for you it must be the injection).

Good Luck,

John

@Tripp789 $300 per month?? That's a lot of rice & beans 1f923.svg1f923.svg  Look around to see if you can get it less expensive under the generic name. 

Regards,

John

I will look around, a family member works at bellini hospital and might find price or another friend of family works in another hospital as a nurse.

will keep you posted.

Esa cuesta 13399 y con el descuento 10719

this costs 13.399 pesos after discount 10.719 pesos

around my home churchill (sirena and blue mall)

Well said John!

@ExpatRusher
OK, life lessons about pharmacy products in the DR:

In the past, from my own personal experience, it has usually been the case that if Pharmacy Carol didn't have it, no one else did. Things have changed over the last 20 years (for the better) and as I mentioned in another post Pharmacy GBC has some of the best prices but they might not have everything either. Dominicans love monopolies and in many cases one pharmacy chain may have the exclusive right to import and sell a certain brand. So, just keep that in mind (try and ask at a few different pharmacy chains).

With that said, also know that pharmaceuticals are marketed under different brand names globally. So, the brand name for whatever medication may be called something else in Europe, South America, etc. Some of the pharmaceuticals sold here may be bought from the distributor in Europe (not the US) or from Columbia, Honduras, where ever. As a result you need to walk into the pharmacy will a list of ALLthe known names for something, including the generic name. The clerk is going to type the name into the computer screen and say yes we have that or no we don't without knowing what I just wrote. Don't think for a minute the clerk in the pharmacy knows more than you about this topic.

In terms of OZEMPIC: the generic name is Semaglutide, sold under the brand names Ozempic, Wegovy and Rybelsus, is an antidiabetic medication used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes and an anti-obesity medication used for long-term weight management, developed by Novo Nordisk in 2012. The claim is it also available in tablet form but they may or not may not be what you can substitute (maybe for you it must be the injection).

Good Luck,

John
-@john-schroder

Outstanding response!  Thanks!

I found it at Carol pharmacy in Las Terrenas. I believe that is a national chain, so you should be able to get it at other ones or have them order it?
It was a 4mg pen that dispenses 4 doses. I think the math worked out to be way cheaper that the US at about $250/mo.

It came refrigerated so I'm assuming they are handling it correctly. It was brand name Ozempic not a generic. I told them I was looking for semaglutide and that's what they gave me no problem. No Rx needed of course.

Good luck 👍
Ashley
-@ASAdventures

That's interesting.   I also searched Carol and got nil results.  But I didn't search om the generic name.

I'll give that a try.

@Tripp789 $300 per month?? That's a lot of rice & beans 1f923.svg1f923.svg Look around to see if you can get it less expensive under the generic name.
Regards,

John
-@john-schroder

Ozempic is "list priced" somewhere over $1.1k/month.  You can find it "pure retail" (no insurance) for as low as $907/mo).

>> However, if we dig and search, I've seen it available for as little as $135/mo, at least in adverts.

Fortunately my insurance plan covers it all, except a $68/mo copay.  Fortunately, that coverage WILL follow me to the DR or worldwide, though I may have to pay and file.

So, yes -- A LOT of rice and beans!!  Even at $68/mo, that's $816/year for just one drug. 

Healthcare isn't cheap, any way you slice it.

The good news?  Drugs do, eventually, go off patent, and prices drop big-time. 

JIm

ExpatRusher

I found it at Carol pharmacy in Las Terrenas. I believe that is a national chain, so you should be able to get it at other ones or have them order it?
It was a 4mg pen that dispenses 4 doses. I think the math worked out to be way cheaper that the US at about $250/mo.

It came refrigerated so I'm assuming they are handling it correctly. It was brand name Ozempic not a generic. I told them I was looking for semaglutide and that's what they gave me no problem. No Rx needed of course.

Good luck 👍
Ashley
-@ASAdventures

Thanks much, Ashley! 

And it can be purchased with no Rx?  How civilized, compared to the  United States!

I have a superb set of Doctors here in Idaho -- even so, the healthcare system we have today has grown so bureaucratic that it often works against itself (or against patients), and that bureaucracy inherently drives prices higher.

Oh, we'll.

Jim

@Oscarsahony Sanchez

what Farmacia close to you has it at that price?

@john-schroder without a prescription in the US it would be 1,000 USD!

@john-schroder without a prescription in the US it would be 1,000 USD!
-@Tripp789

Do you mean without insurance? It's only available with a prescription in the US.