Prescription medication

Hi there , we are thinking of relocating to the Dominican Republic now I have a question, I'm on an antidepressant named Effexor (Venlafaxine) does anybody know if they have this medication there?

I tried a search on the Carol Farmacia website for both the brand and generic names and nothing came up.

It might be something that could be ordered through a local pharmacy or you might have to ship it in.

We had stocked up on the one med we each take daily. I've had no problem getting my Synthroid here, but no one seems to carry the right dosage for Dave's blood pressure med. He's planning to meet with the doctor to get a substitute.

A couple of suggestions: The spanish name is Venlafaxina.   You can search for it here: https://feltrex.com.do/listado-completo-de-productos/

Also called Lafaxin.

You could also ask your Doctor for a list of suitable alternatives.  You will probably find that your Doctor can suggest a few maybe even from the same family.

Good luck.

Thank you all so much

You can get this medication at farmacia carol.  I had to go through page by page but its there.

Thank you so very much for your time greatly appreciate it

I'm so happy to hear this, since I'm on it since close to 20 years and don't want to change it! Does it need to be prescribed by a doctor in the Dominican Republic?

Probably not as is the case with most medications.

When my husband and I moved here in January we just brought our empty bottles to the pharmacy and they just refilled them.  No prescription needed on any of them.

Can you tell us what medicined these were?
Were they prescription meds in the DR too?

In my experience, psychiatric meds do need a prescription.  Yes they do.

Pain meds, stomach, antibiotics, muscle relaxers, erectile disfunction, corticosteroids, allergy meds... do not.

I was told that no narcotics are available in the country at all, so if you are prescribed Flexarill, Vicodin, Norco, Codeine, Oxycontin, Methadone, or any other narcotic pain meds you have to get them elsewhere.  All they have are Tramadol and Fentanyl (go figure!).
Told that by the pharmacist when I tried to get pain meds refilled by bringing in the bottles for refill.

Does anyone know if medical marijuana (CBD's) is allowed into the country
or is it available to purchase here with a doctors letter ?

Strong pain meds are available here by special prescription only.

Medical marijuana is not permitted yet.

Uncadoo wrote:

I was told that no narcotics are available in the country at all, so if you are prescribed Flexarill, Vicodin, Norco, Codeine, Oxycontin, Methadone, or any other narcotic pain meds you have to get them elsewhere.  All they have are Tramadol and Fentanyl (go figure!).
Told that by the pharmacist when I tried to get pain meds refilled by bringing in the bottles for refill.

Did you ask for Flexiril specifically? It is not a narcotic, it's an anti-spasmotic/muscle relaxant.

goinforit wrote:

Does anyone know if medical marijuana (CBD's) is allowed into the country
or is it available to purchase here with a doctors letter ?

I've imported CBD oil for my dog several times without issue.  It has zero THC, and is clearly marketed as a pet supplement.  I'm not sure if anything containing THC would trigger anything?

It's not allowed

@Uncadoo hey I'm chris so which pharmacy told you that you can get fentanyl. I take ms cotton. Don't look like I can get it there. My health insurance works at any carol. So I could change to the lowest dose of fentanyl. I'm between puerto plata and Santo Domingo area. Thank you for your advice!

@Christopher Matherly In @Uncadoo's previous post, he said that you could NOT get those here. It's my understanding that narcotics are available, but they require an actual prescription from the doctor - one that is done in triplicate and sent to the equivalent of the DEA. Any controlled substances are handled that way here.

I believe Tramadol is still OTC here, but that might have changed. I read an article a while back about parents here giving their children tramadol like it was baby aspirin!
I have a prescription called Amovig for migraines. I believe it is relatively new.  Does anyone know if I can get this medication in DR? It is very expensive. If I can't find something similar, I might not relocate to DR.

Thanks you
I cannot find it with that name. Is there an ingredient name we can search for? 

@Uncadoo I got flexarall here at carol farmacia

I was diagnosed with kidney stones in March and given a couple prescriptions. One was to help pass the stones (Rowatinex) and the other come to find out was some form of vitamins (Bergeron B). I booked a flight back to the US the next day and ended up having 2 surgeries and suitable pain management. I would like to know for in the future what pain medication is available in emergency situations  and who you need to see to get a stronger medication if available. I received treatment at Centro Médico Elohim Dominicana and was grateful to be seen and correctly diagnosed but do not understand why they would send me on my way in such pain.
@jean007200914  Hi Jean,  I am a migraine sufferer as well, most of my life.  I am using sumi-gran plus (available in the pharmacies around 30 pesos per pill).  They seem to be pretty effective.  Although I take one (I seldom need 2) as soon as I feel a headache coming on.  If you are one of those that wakes up with it then you will probably need something else...  I also use some Friccilicont cream (available in Jumbo and most drug stores) on my temple's and forehead.  Generally this seems to work pretty good.

Migraines are terrible and anyone that has them knows what you are dealing with and it's hard to find the right cocktail for you.

Good luck.
@Michael who you see depends on where you are.   My advice is establish a working relationship with a doctor before you need them.  Then you can feel comfortable when you actually need them.  Not all doctors can prescribe  higher end pain meds so ask about that IN ADVANCE. And if needed you can always go into emergency for treatment at a PRIVATE clinic or hospital.  You will either need insurance or money!

@planner thank you! Good advice in which I will follow my next trip.

@DominicanadaMike
Thank you for your response! You're right! Migraines are hard. Keep in touch?
@planner
Thank you for responding Karma! That is your name?
I'll look at my script for the ingredients. It is an injectable like an EpiPen.
Stay in touch?
Darla
@planner
Karma...you asked for more info on Amovig migraine med that I need to find in DR. Here is more info on migraine meds that I hope to find in DR.
Aimovig (erenumab-aooe)
Aimovig (erenumab-aooe) is a prescription medicine that blocks the calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) receptor binding site and function. This helps to prevent the development of a migraine headache and associated pain. Aimovig is a biologic monoclonal antibody classified as a CGRP inhibitor,
Ajovy (fremanezumab-vfrm) 
Nurtec (rimegepant),
Atogepant (Qulipta), and
Emgality (Galcanezumab)
Do I understand correctly you take all of these?

Hi Jean,

The medication you are looking for is a preventative (as you know) and I am wondering if you have ever tried Feverfew?  FF is a natural plant with ingredients that reduce or eliminate migraines.  I bought mine in a bottle and took the capsules for about 4 months as I was getting migraines almost daily.  After taking the FF for 4 months I found that the migraines basically stopped and I stopped taking the FF.  That was many years ago and today I still only get the odd migraine and it is generally because of the changing weather conditions or dehydration.  Dehydration is easy in this country (DR) both because of climate and then topping that off with alcohol consumption...lol  I am not a big water drinker but I am trying to drink more water because of the dehydration issue.
You can buy FF at the drugstore or from Amazon.  It's well worth the try and doesn't interfere with other meds.
I hope this helps,
Cheers.

@planner I had tramadol  from  my pain doctor  for my back surgery but I am not working now so my insurance  ran out I do not have refill on my bottle  and I am heading  to  santo domingo  can I show the bottle and receive  tramadol  there?

No honey you can't. Tramadol is a controlled substance and you need a prescription for it. You will need to see a doctor.