Allowed to come to Canada after arrest?

My husband got his Visa approved to come to Canada where I live. He is Dominican. His exgirlfriend is going after him for child support (which he has been paying) but my question is, if he gets arrested for non payment of child support will he still be allowed to come to Canada after or will this make him not be allowed to come to Canada anymore?

I am not sure if being arrested  will stop him, being convicted likely will!

So he's paying his child support but it appears you are worried about an arrest, which usually doesn't happen for no reason. And he is Dominican and trying to escape to Canada? Escape from the law? And you are what? Canadian citizen? Even with limited details, Something just wreaks of suspicious intent on this man's part. You may want to open your mind to all possibilities here.

Okay thanks

No. We have payed some of it but not all. It's difficult especially with the pandemic. We have a job lined up for him which will definitely help and then we will be able to pay the rest. He has not been arrested but she is threatening to have him arrested. He is not trying to run and there is nothing suspicious or malicious going on. I use to live there with him. I came back to Canada because the money for work is better. That is all.

Can we all just  hold onto judgement here please. Unless you know all of the details then we are making assumptions and that helps no one.

Perhaps your questions are best answered by a lawyer who will respect your confidentiality.

Thank you  I just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about this or had any ideas. Again there is no malicious intent here and nothing criminal. He fully intends to pay her, we just don't have all the money right now. Once he gets here to work we will have it in no time but if he can't make it here because of the arrest then sadly we will not be able to pay her and we may never be together again.

Gaspesie thank you to, that is probably a better idea. Just not sure if that will cost me even more money that I don't have that's why I thought I would see if anyone on here may have any knowledge on this subject. Thank you

Lishali Baez is an excellent lawyer and I am sure she would charge a nominal  fee for a legal opinion on the matter and perhaps some peace of mind. You can reach her at 809-860-1231 if you wish. Hope everything works out in your favour.

Seems to me if he has his VISA already, what are you waiting for?  Secondly, check the extradition policy.  Last time I checked there wasn't one...

Then do whats right...:)

If your question is whether the Canadian government will allow him to retain his visa and go to Canada, that is a question for Canadian Immigration or a Canadian attorney.

If your question is whether he could lose his Dominican passport and not be allowed to leave the DR, then a Dominican attorney can help with that.

He hasn't left the country yet. The question is whether he can be arrested for default on his child support payments. The government of Canada isn't interested at this point. When they issued his Visa he didn't have a criminal record, as far as Immigration is concerned he is free to enter Canada.

Yes he can be arrested for non payment of child support!  And he can be held for a significant amount of time.

Yikes!

Yes, I know that he can be arrested for defaulting on the child support, I just want to know if that will affect his ability to be able to enter Canada after?

Honey you are best to ask the Canadian authorities.

Ok. Thank you

Good luck!

I think you already have your answer.  He gets arrested, no passport, no VISA, no Canada.  If he doesn't get arrested, then he is free to travel to Canada. 

The next question will be if he stops paying child support will he be extradited.  Canada does not have an extradition treaty with DR.  That doesn't stop the Mom from involving Interpol and collecting his ass.   Of course that takes connections and money!  Besides, his child, he should pay child support.

Dominicanada Mike, you've got it all wrong. He does not nor never intends to not pay. We just dont have ALL the money right now. We have the Visa, passport,  everything already. He just needs to recieve his 2nd dose of the vaccine and then he can come to Canada where he has a job linked up already. He will be paying the entire amount of child support left owing immediately from his 1st paycheck. She is just being evil and jealous and just wants to get him arrested so he cant come. We have always given her money for food, clothes, school, everything, we just dont have proof. So sadly she can have him arrested for non payment. I'm just concerned that that may ruin his ability to come to Canada now when sadly he has done nothing wrong and does not intend to. He fully intends to send her more money but cant if he cant make it here for work. She's just being an evil person.

It's going to be a challenge to get that Covid shot. He needs either Pfizer or Moderna and has to have his second shot 2 weeks prior to travelling. At least he won't have to pay the 3 night hotel quarantine as of July 5. Good luck.
As for the ex, if she knows what side her bread is buttered on she won't have him arrested. After all he can't pay child support if he's in jail.

Hi Jamie, sorry if it sounded that way.  I just wanted you to understand there are consequences if he doesn't do what he is supposed to.  I understand your situation and from experience, I can tell you his wife is not the only vindictive female in this country.  I have witnessed some really nasty ones.  Money counts, I agree with Gaspesie, let her know very clearly, once she pulls that trigger, she and the child will be the one that will be without.  You could try to let her see that light but good luck.  She probably won't believe you and she probably has a big family behind her pushing all of the buttons.  I suspect that she is very stubborn and one-minded.  Again, I only say that from my experience...

Being arrested is not the big problem as much as if they confiscate his passport. They won't give it back...  If they don't arrest him with proper authority, then I doubt they will be able to stop him from leaving as long as you keep the passport.  Just my personal opinion...

Unfortunately, everyone turns to lawyers in this country even if you just want to change your toilet paper and aren't sure how to do it.  If you enter into any kind of court case it could easily take years to resolve, unless you have big bags of money which it sounds like you don't.

Good luck.

I say this all the time here -  get receipts for EVERYTHING!

So true! Kicking ourselves now! Wish we would have!

Its a really common mistake when things are going well and almost always comes back to bite when something goes wrong.

The Dunning Kruger effect. Expats giving legal advice. Crazy

Markrosenbaum 51
If you wish to extrapolate on Dunning Kruger perhaps you can tell us what your field of expertise might be other than your illusory superiority.
No one is giving anything but personal advice here , based on personal experience.

Okay pretty sure this thread has run its course.   We will contact the OP to make sure she got her answers!

Canada is already saturated, and in crisis why bringing more people in the country.  The guy maybe a delinquant for chikd payments issues, l think you should move to Dominican Republic to be with your husband.  Canada needs high skills people, not people who would put a strain on the system.

Can we not sit in judgement please!  None of us knows the full story.  Don't assume you know what his skills are or their situation!

Glory. Check your facts before you judge. My husband is a very talented and responsible man. He has never been a delinquent! He has much to offer! I am a Canadian citizen and I would like my husband to be in Canada with me. Eventually we will be moving back to the Dominican Republic. Not that it's any of your business. Obviously you have some serious issues that you may need to work out or get help with. You're not a very nice person and you're extremely judgemental. I feel sorry for you. It's sad really.

Planner thank you so much for being understanding and respectful. You have no idea how much that means to me. I really appreciate it! Bless you!

@jamielynnstradeski I messaged you to see if you had any insight because I am experiencing something similar.

@jamielynnstradeski I don't know the details of course. But I suspect that when he will start working in Canada she will definitely figure out that she can squeeze much more money from him and in CA$. If she'll be able to open a case against him in Canada, the judges her are always on a side of a mother and a child.     

So everyone is clear the original question is from 2021