Coming and going!

Here is a thought:. Those coming and going who are willing to bring things back and forth OR need something carried, this is your thread.

Post where you are coming to, when  arriving, when leaving. 

Need something brought or delivered, post from where and when. 

Let's see if we can help each other out.   Likely needs to be things that don't weigh too much, easy to carry and obviously legal!!!

Planner, This is a fantastic idea. We come and go from Boston to Santo Domingo and drive to and from Las Terrenas. Typically, we bring supplies for DCDR but usually we  travel pretty light and have extra room for some duty-free liquor, maple syrup, electronics, bicycle parts, etc. Not looking to profit or to transport illegal items! I understand the frustration of trying to find some particular brands or items in the Dominican - try looking for a sponge mop!

Thanks!   I have struggled with getting an envelope to the USA and into the mail system there!  Lets see how we can help each other.

Sponge mop - I can get those in Santo Domingo sometimes.....LOL

Maple syrup is ridiculously expensive.  Yikes.  But sooooo good.

I will be flying into SDQ on November 5th. My schedule is below. If anyone needs anything please let me know. Or if you want to send something. I live in Mt. Pleasant, SC.

Nov 5-10 - Las Terranas (Driving 2 People back to SDQ)
Nov 10 -13 - Jarabacoa
Nov13-21 - Juan Dolio

Coming to POP (will be in in Puerto Plata, Playa Dorada, Sosua, and Cabarete) if anyone needs anything from the US. November 20-28 2019

Great idea!!

Please note where you are coming from as well.  This will help us in planning!  Thanks everyone!

I have a little space left in my carry-on. Any small requests that won't get me in trouble with customs? 😂 Coming from Indianapolis, IN into Sosua.

Hi
am coming on Jan 10th to Las Terrenas let me know if you need something

Will be leaving from Santo Domingo in a week or two, returning to Victoria, B.C., Canada

Hi Kittenjuggler,

I spend my summers in Victoria. Smail world indeed!

I am returning to Red Deer for a week (19 to 27 Feb 2020). I and flying out of Santiago as I reside in Moca, just 16 km from the airport). I may have room for something small but have no idea what my sister-in-law in Red Deer might have for me to bring back for her family - last time it was a filled hockey size bag! I have no vehicle which is also an issue. Pretty limiting factors but able and willing is someone requires something.....or yes, had to change my log in for some reason - registered as 2VPsoldier otherwise....cheers

Just making sure I'm subscribed to the thread.  Great idea, I hope to be of some assistance to others, in the future.

Thanks, once we are back to some degree of normal, I hope so too!

I will be in Bayahibe Nov 21-Nov28.  Flying Boston-SDQ-Boston.  If anyone needs mail posted back in US or something similar let me know.

ryan_mccredie wrote:

Coming to POP (will be in in Puerto Plata, Playa Dorada, Sosua, and Cabarete) if anyone needs anything from the US. November 20-28 2019

Hi Ryan,
I just saw your message and I am wondering if you still have space in your suitcase. I am looking for Milk Bone Soft & Chewy beef flavour dog treats, my dog loves them and we are down to the last one! Please let me know if you can bring a package, I live in Puerto Plata.
Thanks,
Pam

@psgh37 - Ryan's trip was in 2019

@ddmcghee Lol, oops!! Totally missed that part of the date, thanks for the heads up.

psgh37 wrote:
ryan_mccredie wrote:

Hi Ryan,
I just saw your message and I am wondering if you still have space in your suitcase. I am looking for Milk Bone Soft & Chewy beef flavour dog treats, my dog loves them and we are down to the last one! Please let me know if you can bring a package, I live in Puerto Plata.
Thanks,
Pam

BMCargo or another of the Miami couriers

Maybe some good news coming. Air Transat are resuming operations starting June 24th. Montreal to POP.

https://www.transat.com/en-CA/destinati … erto-plata

We are flying in on April 22 from Austin, Texas.  If anybody needs anything to be picked up let me know.  Or if you need anything to be brought back to the states.  We are leaving Las Terrenas on May 1st.  Then we will be spending five days in Dominicus and Cap Cana.

I would love anything from Trader Joe's. 😋
Or even just like.. plain Triscuit.
Or even ... organic produce!  Anything pesticide free wld be fabulous!

Hope u had a nice trip

You know you can get organic produce here right?

Now triscuits I agree.  Every once in a while I find some here and I buy a few boxes.

Be careful with the fruit.  Bringing it here is illegal and if they find it, they will confiscate it and possibly fine you or worse.

Where can one find organic produce? 
I mean truly truly organic - pesticide free.
Imidacloprid free

I hope some others will chime in as my information may be inaccurate in a general sense.  From the fruit and produce that I am familiar with, there are no pesticides being used.  The same goes for meat, most is range fed.  That is why meat from this country is tough.  Since I have a large family here, we receive a lot of produce from our own gardens and theirs.  None of which has been sprayed with anything, including but not limited to: Avocados, oranges, bananas, plantain, limes, papaya, mangoes, guava, coconuts, potatoes, yams and associated family.  With allergies in the family, the food we eat here has never been a problem as far as pesticides or chemicals are concerned.

Others will add their experience...

Many many farmers here use pesticides! 

however anything labeled as organic is supposed to be free of pesticides etc.   They are available in most  larger  grocery stores here.

OMG noooooooo!!!   Pesticides are the NORM!  Do any research on Constanza and you will see!!
The pesticide cloud
Broccoli, cabbage, strawberries.
Research “la mosquita blanca”, a pesticide-resistant plague that destroyed pretty much all crops (especially tomatoes) and is believed to have arrived due to the “pesticide treadmill”... overuse of pesticides that killed their natural predators!  Certain dR crops banned from export!

OMG pesticides are a HUGE, conveniently concealed problem in the DR!  We rely on agriculture!

Some pesticides used here are on the EPA hotlist for banning, other pesticides used here have been banned in the EU since 2018.

(This is worth it's own thread!)

Also......  you should know there is no specific or strict definition for “Organic” in the DR FDA - Ministerio de Agricultura.  The term is thrown around at everything.... and any scientist will tell you, that by definition, every living thing is organic.  There is no “USDA Organic” certification in the DR.  No real regulating unit.  Just like there is no rea regulating unit for almost anything.

The Ministerio de Agricultura has one Organic initiative for Cacao, Bananas, Coconuts.... Helloooooo.... crops with thick skin so pesticide residue in the actual fruit is unlikely, and where spraying isn't that necessary anyway.  Organic coconuts ... is BS!!!

What about cucumbers, cabbage, strawberries, acerolas, guayabas???   

Go to a farmer's market and ask if things are organic.  Everyone will tell you it's organic.  Ha ha ha

Nacional sells Arugula that is “Biologica”... LOL!  Any plant person will tell you, that every living thing is “Biological”.  We are 30 years behind in science in the DR (it is, one of the endearing things about being here), ... do not trust anything that says Organic/Biologic unless it also says - FREE OF PESTICIDES.

Research persistent respiratory problems in Cotui and the rice fields! 

I buy the produce that I can from a farmer that I know and even still, cannot trust 100% that it is neurodegenerator-free.

I'll start a thread about this (later) for those who are interested.  I am eccentric yes.

We have an upcoming mango harvest (almost-spray free—- there is drift from the shit that neighboring yards spray) that I treasure.  I wash them and scrub them and am doing all I can to convince my neighbors to have conscience.  Uphill battle that I will fight.  Long story for a different thread.  Anywho.... whoever likes mangoes raise their hands!!  They are (for the most part) organic!  🤣

Good information, thank you!  I just bought "organic eggs" at the supermercado and thought what does that really mean?  We generally do not trust produce here that has no skin, especially lettuce products. We soak such produce in in vinegar solution, but....

Please  do start a thread honey. Just copy and paste what you wrote above and  do it!   

It is definitely worth the discussion.

I will just add this is one of the bummers of life here. I thought we would be living off of more fruits and vegetables and generally eating better; however, we cook the bejesus out of everything and, again, view a lot of fruits and vegetables with a skeptical eye, to avoid getting sick.

Will do...... :)

Thanks  honey for doing that!!!!!!!!!!!

That's great information.  I guess I am pretty lucky as a lot of our produce is family produced and if you notice my list is thick skinned fruits and vegetables.  Leafy stuff I stay away from.  I wouldn't trust that unless it came out of my own garden.  You definitely have to be closer to the Dominican culture to get good stuff here.  Otherwise its anybody's guess.  As for getting bad food or bad meat, that can happen from any store, yes even the big supermarkets.  You really have to have an eye for what you are buying.  Thank goodness my wife is Dominican!  Location also has a lot to do with answers on this platform.  Everything varies so much in this country from one bus stop to the next, even one day to the next.

im coming you have dates let me know if you need somthing

felice1966 wrote:

im coming you have dates let me know if you need somthing

Where in DR will you be?

Im arriving in santa damingo on the 8th driving to cabereta

I'm traveling from South Carolina (USA) to Las Terrenas on the 9th -13th and Santo Domingo 13 - 17th. If someone  wants anything brought down please let me know and I'll try to accommodate it.

Also for those who go to One Love or Campo Kitchen, do you know if Juan and Jenni are still working there? I would like to bring them somethings.

Thanks…

We go to both One Love (fairly often) and Campo Kitchen, but I don't know Juan or Jenni.