Marriage advice

Hi does anyone know how to go about marrying my Egyptian partner. I'm English We both are pretty clueless as to how we can. And also what types of prices are we looking at. And I read we need health checks. And can I get married on a tourist visa. Just a standard wedding in the Cairo ministry of justice thank you

Hi , the best way is to contact Ministry of justice office and ask for the requirements before you go , they have phone number at google map and your partner can do that

What are your reasons for wanting to marry if you don't mind me asking

Does he have enough money to support you? I'm not being nosy but a ”standard” wedding in Egypt is not the same as one in the UK, actually the Egyptian man benefits more than the woman because he'll have more rights over the wife and her possessions.

I wouldn't suggest the orfi route either for various reasons. hopefully someone can answer your question, I know there's a few health checks involved and lots of paperwork. but think long and hard about it, as it's a big decision. I'm surprised your partner doesn't know more, where is he from originally?

@Peony_xo ohh really will he be entitled to my possessions back in England. We want to marry because I don't really want to end up pregnant and it isn't done traditional. And he can't really tell his family he's got someone pregnant out of marriage. Also he's from tanta. No it's fine ask away. I know there's lots of fake people wanting a visa. So you don't know and it's always helpful to hear from others

@Bassam Akkad thank you I will contact them

@annamanning123

I will contact the Ministry of justice  tomorrow and let you know the requirements

@annamanning123 i see well if there's a pregnancy involved it makes sense, but still tread carefully hun. Things change after marriage and hopefully you've known him long enough to be able to evaluate his character.

not entitled to your possessions in the uk as far as i‘m aware of, but say if you were to buy a flat in egypt or loan him money. He also has the right to keep you in Egypt, but this I imagine is rarely enforced

Just trust your gut and I'm here if you ever need any help

@Bassam Akkad thanks so much for that

@Peony_xo thanks for advice because I didn't know any of that. I have heard so many tales. And I have been worried about after marriage would he turn controlling. But I suppose you never know that with anyone it even happens here. But also I didn't know that about the property there etc. thanks for being helpful

@Peony_xo , I had a question, Why is all this hate to the Egyptian, seems you insist to convince others with an idea which is not fair

@annamanning123

Hello there! I am a British-Egyptian national who has been married to a non-Egyptian woman for over a decade now, and we currently reside in England. We tied the knot at the Cairo Ministry of Justice many years ago. I am not sure if the rules have changed since then, but if you have been married before, you will need a divorce certificate that is dated at least three months back. Additionally, you will need a confirmation form from the British embassy that mentions your sex, religion, and marital status, and confirms that they do not mind the marriage. You will also need to undergo a simple health check, which can be done almost anywhere, and have two witnesses present at the time of the marriage. It is recommended that you check all the requirements with the British embassy and the Egyptian Ministry of Justice.

As far I' aware you will need residence permit not a tourist visa. Your husband can't have a hold on your assets

Lastly, it's important to remember that every country has its good and bad people, so make sure you make an informed decision.

@aae1 thank you for advice 🙂

@annamanning123

"No worries, I'm glad to help. Just one last piece of advice: If I were you, I wouldn't rush to get pregnant until I know the person I'm marrying very well. In case things don't work out between us, I can sort it out in one way or another. It would be more difficult to have a child, which could make things even harder."

@Mahmoud Ezz

”an idea which is not fair”

LOL what's not fair is the way many foreign women are treated in Egypt. This is not an opinion it's a fact. Or would you prefer that she walk into this situation blind, as if everything is ”hunky dory”…

@Peony_xo what happens after marriage I've heard Alot about change after marriage. but when I ask he won't say much. Is it control etc. yeah I would rather know so I'm not shocked I don't know much about it thank you

@annamanning123 yeah don't wanna scare you off but it's good to be aware so that you know what to expect. Yes most Egyptian men are controlling but there's two types of controlling - there's controlling where the guy has bad intentions and is either abusive and/or controlling for the wrong reasons (like sex, money etc)

Or there's controlling where you're an extension of him (his wife, mother of his kids) and he's just protecting his family honour. So the way that he controls you will depend on his upbringing. how are his sisters treated? Are they allowed to work or study, for example, do they seem happy? Some women are ok with it, but if you're very independent you might not like it as much.

if he doesn't control you at all… then usually it means he's not serious.

hope this helps!