Egyptian man and American woman

I hope my message finds all of you well.

I am an American who married an Egyptian here in Egypt in 2022. I applied for a spousal visa for him to join me in th United States however I am having some concerns.

We met on social media. I approached him as I was very attracted to him. We spoke for many months before I decided to go to Egypt.  When I went to Egypt we fell in love, got engaged, and got married. He is divorced from an Egyptian girl and his mother has custody of their two kids. I come back and forth to Egypt every few months to be with him until his visa arrives.

when I met him he was very open minded and accepted me for all I was.  He was love bombing me in a sense.  After we got married things changed. He started to belittle me.  He would start to complain about how my life was.  He would make me dress more modestly and also tell me which friends he didn't feel comfortable with that I had.

when I go to Egypt I bring money with me that we use for ourselves and the kids… grocery shopping and all. He doesn't work. He is 36 and I am 45.  Yes I know the age GAP but I look 20 lol…. Anyhow, he doesn't work and his parents help with money and pay for the kids.  So yes he lives off what I bring with me money wise while I'm here.

the main problem is the way he treats me as he is quick to anger and so bossy. I have looked at and threatened divorce a few times bc I am just exhausted from all this. I do love him and he tells me how he loves me every day but the actions seem otherwise. 

I would like to know what is the cost of divorce in Egypt. We got married at the Marriage court.  I don't know anything about divorce here. Also to mention this will be his third divorce if I leave.  I have researched cost but there is none. 

I do love him but I can't take the treatment.  I have done so much for him and his kids monetarily not to mention paid for his immigration visa and my trips here. 

has anyone had a similar situation and also how would I know if green card is on his agenda? 

thank you to anyone who helps me!

The cost will vary by attorney, and honestly a lot of attorneys are not honest and you will end up paying and paying for a divorce that never seems to come. Not to mention the fact that he can fight the divorce and tie up the process further. Because of those factors I think it's better you file the divorce in USA where you live. You're guaranteed a more successful outcome that way.

If you're really serious about ending everything, go ahead and call off the visa process. I am willing to bet he wants a divorce himself once you do so.

thank you for your response. i dont want to be the one if a divorce happens to have to pay as i already have paid thousands for him already lol…. yes i am stubborn as well. lol…

i have threatened divorce a few times but he always comes back. i have even walked out and he still reconciles… apologizes but is back to his same nasty self lol…. this is where i wonder if he is with me for the visa…

@Mshmasriyah sorry my other question was if he got the divorce here what would it cost to do generaly Speaking

Inbox me if he is from Caïro I can help you. ( Free of charge I know of a female lawyer here that doesn't charge excessively

And check your marriage contract. Most likely the Mahr is peanuts and a bag of rice so to say.

Ive been happily married to an Egyptian for 20+ years and seen your situation many times before.  Lots of red flags from someone outside of the relationship.  it is hard to see them when you are in the relationship.  You are doing the right thing for yourself.  Dont doubt youself.  You deserve better.  I do not know the legal side of things but I know Egyptian paperwork is awful. Cancel the Visa process and let him deal with the divorce.  you do not owe him anything or any money for the divorce.  Do not let him charm his way back into your good graces.  Good Luck!

@Justwoomass we have had some brutal fights. In each of these fightd i say i am finished and want to leave but he always comes back. even thid last time here inpackd everything up and made it down half the stairs. he later followed asking me to come and talk.  However the littlest thing i do and he has an attitude. 

I have been  happily married to an Egyptian for 8 years .  I Know nothing of divorce proceedings but my husband has no intention of living in the UK. Even though I spend a lot of time in England.  His wish is for me reside there permanently.  Why would your husband wish to leave his family and children. Sounds a little strange to me that his parents keep him also. Usually the other way around  Take care and do what is best for you .

My hisband does not have much of a life in egypt. i think this contributes to his behavior. he does not work. his lids also have mo real life and are nt offered any luxuries. he had intentions to bring the kids to the us with us. so maybe this is why? i really dont know. he has never asked me to live in egypt. i have offered to stay there but he knows the life there would be very different for me.

Dear friend, you was unlucky in choosing your husband and you didn't think deeply before your marriage, as marriage is much more complicated than friendship.

You need to stop this marriage by consulting a normal lawyer and this doesn't cost you much money but by getting divorced is a good decision to correct your mistake and be sure that there are too many successful and respectable men in Egypt but unfortunately you took the speedy and wrong marriage decision.

@montcairo

please elaborate on why you say the above….

My dear friend, I was trying to explain to you that the marriage decision is not easy as you can make a decision when you intend to make friendship with someone even the friendship decision should be taken after good thinking to avoid the waste of your life, time and may be money.

And I meant that you may not have a deep experience to avoid this marriage failure and I suggest that you get divorced and do not make any further quick dangerous decisions such as marriage until you make a very deep study before you take such critical decisions.

And I hope you all the success in correcting this mistake and hope you all the happiness and success taking into account that loving somebody is not enough for successful marriage.

My dear friend do not be sorry for divorce as it is the correct action for you.