Marriage and entitlement

Hi I'm English woman. And just wondering if I marry my Egyptian partner. Are they entitled to anything of mine in England. Like my house or any of my money. Or can I marry without worrying about my things back in England. And there is no way they are entitled to anything of mine thank you

@annamanning123 don't worry about your properties

@Ksabry88 Can you say why

No, they are not entitled to anything of yours.

In traditional Egyptian marriages, an extensive list of everything that was purchased for the marital home,  regardless of whether it was purchased by the bride or the groom, is made and attached to the marital contract. In the event of divorce, the wife is entitled to everything on that list as a legal right. Also in the case of divorce, the wife is entitled to an alimony lump sum payment called ”moakhar”, which is likewise written into the marital contract. If there are children from the marriage, the wife is entitled to keep the marital home at the husband's expense until the children are grown as well, even if the flat was his before marriage.

Besides these things, every bride should be aware of the rights she has: the right to be given a home of her own at the husband's expense, fully firnished. The right to receive a mahr (dowry), which is often in the form of gold jewelry, called the shabka. The amount of mahr must be written onto the marital contract even when an Egyptian is marrying a foreigner. The right to have all expenses for the wedding itself to be paid by the groom, including the venue, refreshments/catering, entertainment, and even the wedding dress/makeup/hair styling etc for the bride.

All this goes to show that the rights of the bride are very extensive and important and in no circumstance would the groom have the right to anything that belongs to the bride,  whether acquired before or during the marriage.

@Ksabry88 thank you just you hear all the horror stories and you never know in this life with people. Thanks for reply

@smorris21 I've read a lot of stories. And I have been worried if it is a scam. Will I be married and then lose everything I've worked so hard for all my life. And I won't marry him because I'm scared he will be entitled to my money. So at least if I know it's safe. I can go ahead and get married

@annamanning123

I wouldn't think so, unless your marriage is recognised in the UK. I'm married to an Egyptian and I'm from the UK too. And for all the UK knows, I'm still unmarried because I haven't documented my marriage here. If your marriage certificate is in Arabic, it's even better because for the UK  accept the marriage certificate, it must be translated and stamped by the Egyptian authorities. He can't just present a marriage certificate that they won't accept in hope to get half of your stuff. The marriage has to be recognised by UK law too, for the claims to be made.

However, you might just want to re-check this with a solicitor or someone. Should get half hour free advise at any solicitors.

@Mshmasriyah thanks for reply it puts my mind at ease to know that

@sheetalpatel561 ok thanks for advice. Did you marry in Egypt then.

@sheetalpatel561Do you have an orfi marriage?  In the UK if you get married abroad and want a divorce you have to have the marriage paper work translated into English so it can be registered.

@annamanning123 You're welcome.. Go ahead and good luck with your future ✌🏼