Brazil visa overstay fine

Dear all,

I need your help and would really appreciate your insights. I overstayed my visa in 2017- 2018 and was given a R$10,000 fine at the airport while leaving the country.

Now that I am about to get my dual citizenship, would I be able enter Brazil with my new US passport without paying the fine?

On a side note, I am considering a name change when I get my US citizenship. I currently have two names and one last name. So, if I decide to change one of my names, do you think this may increase the chances of entering Brazil without any issues?

I really like Brazil and speaking Portuguese, and I hope to escape harsh North American winters and spend a couple of months in Brazil every year.

Thank you for your time and help!

04/05/24 @viajero111.  Congratulations on your upcoming citizenship!  Will you be getting a VIVIS visa/eVisa for your US passport?  No guarantees, and I don't know what the visa terms for your other passport (presumably the one you overstayed on) are, but generally speaking when a visitor changes from one visa class to another, his/her record under the previous visa class no longer counts against them.  In addition, that fine may have dropped out of the system, since it's over five years old.

You technically owe the fine, so if the Immigration Officer's terminal pulls it up when you arrive you're going to have to pay it, but I doubt that it's going to come up.

@viajero111 I'll leave the rest to @abthree and just say that I am in the 2nd of three weeks to go in the decision-making process on having my Brazilian Family Reunion Visa

1) Visa Approved,

2) Changes Requested or

3) Visa Denied.

I have been in the United States since the Super Bowl and have recently had to see the doctor, for the flu. This process has been very stressful and very dependent on my only daughter.

My suggestion is to connect with an Advisor / Lawyer that actually has had SUCCESS with a Visa via the Brazilian Consulate. before you do anything. 

Most of my challenge has been the official and or / family name change. This will sink you!!!

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

04/05/24    @viajero111 Most of my challenge has been the official and or / family name change. This will sink you!!!Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg-@roddiesho

Thanks for bringing that up, Roddie -- I had forgotten about the danger of name changes.

Be very, very careful about name changes.  The United States is one of the easiest places in the world to change your name; Brazil is one of the hardest.  You don't mention your country of origin, but it would be wise to find out whether you'll be able to get documents issued under your new name if you decide to change. 

If you apply for residency in Brazil and your name is different on different documents that you're required to present, that can cause you a lot of trouble.

@abthree Thank you so much! Being a permanent resident in the US for the past several years, I have had to significantly limit my international trips. Thus, I am truly excited to hopefully get my new US passport soon.

I don't need a visa to enter Brazil with my current passport. I just get a stamp on arrival for 90 days and I can spend up to 180 days in a year in Brazil. And yes, I am hoping to get an e-visa with my new US passport for my next trip.

So, in this case, given the fact that I left Brazil six years ago and that I will be applying for an e-visa with my new US passport next time, do you think that I may be able to avoid the overstay fine?

I am considering the name change for personal reasons, but having hassles in border crossings worries me a little bit as I am planning to spend several months of the year traveling outside of the US starting from next winter. Thus, I am not sure whether the advantages of a name change would overweigh the disadvantages. 🤔

Thank you again for your time!

@roddiesho I appreciate your feedback! I am considering the name change for personal reasons, but hearing horror stories like this makes me rethink my decision.

Dear all,
I need your help and would really appreciate your insights. I overstayed my visa in 2017- 2018 and was given a R$10,000 fine at the airport while leaving the country.

Now that I am about to get my dual citizenship, would I be able enter Brazil with my new US passport without paying the fine?

On a side note, I am considering a name change when I get my US citizenship. I currently have two names and one last name. So, if I decide to change one of my names, do you think this may increase the chances of entering Brazil without any issues?

I really like Brazil and speaking Portuguese, and I hope to escape harsh North American winters and spend a couple of months in Brazil every year.

Thank you for your time and help!

-@viajero111

I first went to Brazil in 2016 and I got into a relationship on that trip. I had no idea that I had overstayed, or that there would be consequences. I flew back out from Rio and my fee was only slightly over 100 reais if I recall it well. I was happy and thought it wasn't a big deal.

But the police officer made it clear to me that they now had a reason to prevent me from entering again. Which would not allow me to see my girlfriend, who is now my fiancé. The police in Rio De Janeiro were rude to me and were unable to tell me whether I could come back or not. He said it would depend on the officer in front of me, upon my return to Brazil.

I was worried for multiple months, not knowing what would happen.

Instead of Rio I flew to São Paulo, where my fiancé lives. Everyone in front of me had a quick pass at border patrol. But the female officer took my passport and said "excuse me please".

She took my passport to a separate room and kept me waiting for 15 minutes.

She came back and gave me a pass. But there had been a discussion about it.

Since then I have been back 5 times and every time this same mechanism repeated itself. Every time the officer left and had to ask for permission. The last 2 times she said "I let you pass because we have let you pass previously as well". I also had to keep the proof of payment of that overstay fee, or I would have to pay again, they said.

I have not been to Brazil for at least 5 years now. We both live in Europe but I wonder what would happen if I went back now.

If you overstay 1 day in Europe, you don't get in again. Local officers in my country told me that.

@abthree Thank you so much! Being a permanent resident in the US for the past several years, I have had to significantly limit my international trips. Thus, I am truly excited to hopefully get my new US passport soon.
I don't need a visa to enter Brazil with my current passport. I just get a stamp on arrival for 90 days and I can spend up to 180 days in a year in Brazil. And yes, I am hoping to get an e-visa with my new US passport for my next trip. 

-@viajero111

Thanks to the latest change in Brazil's visa requirements, you won't need a visa for Brazil with your US passport if you travel before April 2025.  Check the requirements on the website of your nearest Brazilian Consulate for details prior to your trip.  Happy traveling!

@Wout Thank you for sharing your experience! I am sorry to hear that you have been going through the same issue over and over again.

@abthree Thanks! I will try to go back before April 2025 once I get my new passport.