Digital Nomad Visa Renewal

Hi Guys! Glad to be here on this community. I am just wondering if someone can share on the process on how to renew the Digital Nomad Visa? I had mine 2022 and it s almost gonna be 1 year, i would like to extend for another year. Thank you

05/27/23 Hi Guys! Glad to be here on this community. I am just wondering if someone can share on the process on how to renew the Digital Nomad Visa? I had mine 2022 and it s almost gonna be 1 year, i would like to extend for another year. Thank you
-@Mrxx

According to Article 6 of RESOLUÇÃO CNIG MJSP Nº 45, DE 9 DE SETEMBRO DE 2021 that established the program, you can apply for a renewal by presenting these documents to the Federal Police:

• A declaration, under penalty of law, of the absence of a criminal record in any country during the five years prior to the solicitation of residence;
  • Proof of Digital Nomad status;
  • Copy of the CRNM;
  • Criminal background checks issued the judicial authorities of the places where where the applicant has resided during the current authorization of temporary residence. 

The entire Resolution appears here:  https://www.in.gov.br/web/dou/-/resoluc … -375554693

@abthree Hey, Thanks for the info.

If someone there knows the exact process? I am trying to navigate migranteWEB and i am lost.

Did you figure it out @Mrxx ?

It's bad UX but eventually you get a hold of it. You need to select Renovação of 45/2021 (which is the portaria that specifies the DN visa terms 

@zofiaaa hello! thanks for the response. appreciate it. where should i do it? and where can i find that selection

Following this thread. I'm in the same situation as Mrxx. Will be coming up on one year in the Autumn and wanted to know what is required. Abthree, as always, coming through with the answer!

@Abthree, did I read that correctly? All that's required in terms of background checks is a sworn statement and a local (BR) check? That would be awesome because I've lived in a few places (for more than 6 months) in the past 5 years and getting all those background checks is expensive and time consuming!

06/30/23 @Abthree, did I read that correctly? All that's required in terms of background checks is a sworn statement and a local (BR) check? That would be awesome because I've lived in a few places (for more than 6 months) in the past 5 years and getting all those background checks is expensive and time consuming!
-@acpr

That's what the resolution says, so I'd give it a try, and have a copy of the resolution along with me, just in case.  Remember, though, that the PF always has  the option of requesting additional documents.

You can obtain the Brazilian checks, both state and federal, online.

If anyone has completed the Digital Nomad renewal process already, I hope they'll share their experience.

@abthree what if I requested the visa extension from another state? I'm wondering if that would work just the same.

I live in Rio (though currently out of country for a month or two) and may find myself in the Northeast upon return later in August. Technically I have until end of October to renew and I didn't see any "renew by" date (ie, one month in advance of the visa expiration, two months...three?). But if I do find myself in the NE, I'd want to avoid going all the way to Rio just to hand over a few documents.

07/01/23 @abthree what if I requested the visa extension from another state? I'm wondering if that would work just the same.
-@acpr

I expect that it would.  Who expects a "nomad" to be in the same place all the time?

Hi, I am currently in the process of renewing my DN - I have been waiting 38 days since I submitted my docs in migranteWeb - a friendly lawyer said it takes around 40 days right now (in theory, it shouldn't be longer than 30 "but can take longer if needed") . A friend did it in April and it took 2 weeks for the initial revision.

@zofiaaa super helpful! Thank you, you just made my day better

I actually just booked my flight back to BR since I've been out of the country for a few weeks, and I randomly gave myself 60 days to deal with the renewal.

@zofiaaa ah I just created a new post about this before I realised this one already existed. I've been waiting 39 days and counting!

Anyone have any luck yet with finalized renewal?  How long did it take if so and did you do in Brazil or out of country?  I have a nomad visa expiring in early September and I am going to try to renew in São Paulo.  Do we need to leave the country and come back or should be good just to renew?

@abthree When is a good time to renew? is 4 months before expiry too early?

Mine expires in Dec, actually first week of Jan, and I am considering when it is a good time to renew so it does not come off as too early.

How do I login to the system? The migrantes 2.0 site just asks you to login to the  gov.br site but only with your bank account and I only have NuBank which is not offered?

@vetemently My renewal has been published in the DOU and I'm awaiting my appointment at PF which is next week. All up so far, it's taken a little over 2 months since I submitted the form and docs in Migrante Web 2.0.

I applied from within Brazil, and with my original application, I applied outside of Brazil.

For Migrante Web 2.0 login, you can log in with your CPF.

Good luck with your renewal!

07/25/23  @abthree When is a good time to renew? is 4 months before expiry too early?
Mine expires in Dec, actually first week of Jan, and I am considering when it is a good time to renew so it does not come off as too early.
-@Obirije

Four months strikes me as a little early.  But since most of the country shuts down for Christmas and New Year, I'd recommend starting the process in very early November, or even the end of October.  See leashy_kate's post #16 above.

@leashy_kate Can you share (a) what you type of authorization you chose in Migrante Web 2.0 for the Digital Nomad renewal (b) what forms you submitted (everything in the original + CRNM, or just select documents and (c) what GRU fees you had to pay for the renewal?  Good luck with your PF interview next week.  Thank you!

@leashy_kate Can you share (a) what you type of authorization you chose in Migrante Web 2.0 for the Digital Nomad renewal (b) what forms you submitted (everything in the original + CRNM, or just select documents and (c) what GRU fees you had to pay for the renewal? Good luck with your PF interview next week. Thank you!
-@sfcastro

The below was based on my circumstances, so you'll need to check they're correct for you. Also, I can't guarantee that what has worked so far in my application/renewal process will be the same for you. I'm sure it differs between states etc.

I'd suggested getting in touch with your local Policia Federal to seek clarification on your process. I've been fortunate enough to only have positive experiences, so it's certainly worth a try.

a) Residencia

b) - Statement of no criminal record from the previous country of residence (A written statement that I had certified at the cartório). The original from my country was not required.

- Federal Police Check for Brazil

- Income proof as per the original requirements for the application (mine was apostilled and translated)

- Contract (mine was apostilled and translated)

- Photo of RNM front and back

- Statement of being able to work remotely (mine was apostilled and translated)

I suggest reading the resolution that outlines the docs required for the renewal. The link to the resolution is here Renewal information is Art. 6.

The GRU fees and the docs required for the Policia Federal appointment, once published in the DOU, can be found here.

Goodluck!

@leashy_kate

Do none of the requirements mention health insurance (proof of)? I just started my application for my retirement visa, which has the same requirements as the Digital Nomad visa, and one of these requirements is a health insurance that covers Brazil (at least on the site of my country's embassy, I'm not in Brazil right now).

@Kurterino proof of health insurance was necessary for my original visa application but so far hasn't been asked for during the renewal process. I suspect they may check at my polícia federal appointment so I'll be taking it with me anyway.

I'm currently in Brazil and my visa expires September 3rd.  Seems very unlikely that I would get it done in time in Brazil, could I start start the process here and leave the country then come back once it's finalized or is there another step of the process for which I would need to be present?  Or should I file with Brazilian Embassy in the States?

@Kurterino proof of health insurance was necessary for my original visa application but so far hasn't been asked for during the renewal process. I suspect they may check at my polícia federal appointment so I'll be taking it with me anyway.
-@leashy_kate

Did you buy a policy from one of these international health insurance companies?

Because the mandatory health insurance in my country (Switzerland) does cover treatments abroad (accidents and illnesses, no planned surgeries). Plus I have repatriation insurance to get me transported (medevac) to Switzerland, in a severe case. And since I'm applying at the embassy in Geneva, I hope they consider this sufficient (since they should know the law, as they are living here).

Obviously I would hate to have to get another policy for something that's already covered…

Just as an observation, having gone through the requirement list for these two visa types (Retirement visa and Family Reunion visa), I do find it amazing that it's (slightly) easier to get a family reunion visa solely by having someone (a Brazilian citizen) declare that this person is his/her life partner. You would think that even if they make it that easy, they would at least demand proof of revenues or solvency, but no. You just need this declaration and his/her ID, a passport, your birth certificate and a plane ticket (if you're doing it from abroad). No health insurance required either….

07/31/23 I'm currently in Brazil and my visa expires September 3rd. Seems very unlikely that I would get it done in time in Brazil, could I start start the process here and leave the country then come back once it's finalized or is there another step of the process for which I would need to be present? Or should I file with Brazilian Embassy in the States?
-@vetemently

I don't understand why you don't think that a month will be sufficient time to complete your request for renewal of your Authorization for Residency and have it accepted by the Federal Police for processing.  Are you missing some of the documents that  leashy_kate presented with her renewal request?  If so, and if you can't obtain them in time, then I start to understand.

You can certainly return to the US and request a new DN visa from a Brazilian Consulate there, but it would be cheaper and probably easier to just renew your Authorization for Residency with the PF if you possibly can.

You can obtain the Brazilian checks, both state and federal, online.

-@abthree

Where can I obtain the State and Federal Checks online for Brasil?

thanks!!

07/31/23 -@abthree Where can I obtain the State and Federal Checks online for Brasil?

thanks!!
-@J.V.M.76

Good morning.  A web search on "Antecedentes Criminais Federal" should give you the federal site.  The same search on "Antecedentes Criminais (name of state)" will yield the corresponding state site for any Brazilian state where you've lived.

@abthree thank you!!

I'm currently in Brazil and my visa expires September 3rd. Seems very unlikely that I would get it done in time in Brazil, could I start start the process here and leave the country then come back once it's finalized or is there another step of the process for which I would need to be present? Or should I file with Brazilian Embassy in the States?
-@vetemently

If you start the renewal process with enough time before your current residency expires, my understanding is that you're not considered as overstaying while your renewal is being shown as processing in Migrante Web 2.0. I suggest contacting your local Policia Federal to check with them.

Just as an observation, having gone through the requirement list for these two visa types (Retirement visa and Family Reunion visa), I do find it amazing that it's (slightly) easier to get a family reunion visa solely by having someone (a Brazilian citizen) declare that this person is his/her life partner. You would think that even if they make it that easy, they would at least demand proof of revenues or solvency, but no. You just need this declaration and his/her ID, a passport, your birth certificate and a plane ticket (if you're doing it from abroad). No health insurance required either….
-@Kurterino

Please note that the document and discussion here are regarding the Digital Nomad Visa renewal and not the two visas you have listed here.

Regarding your previous question about health insurance, I'm not familiar with health insurance in your country and whether it needs the health insurance requirement for visas.

07/31/23 Just as an observation, having gone through the requirement list for these two visa types (Retirement visa and Family Reunion visa), I do find it amazing that it's (slightly) easier to get a family reunion visa solely by having someone (a Brazilian citizen) declare that this person is his/her life partner. You would think that even if they make it that easy, they would at least demand proof of revenues or solvency, but no. You just need this declaration and his/her ID, a passport, your birth certificate and a plane ticket (if you're doing it from abroad). No health insurance required either….
-@Kurterino

That's certainly not the case at Brazilian Consulates in North America or at the Polícia Federal in Brazil; I can't speak to Europe.  When a VITEM XI or a Residency Authorization is based on a civil union rather than a legal marriage, they're increasingly firm in demanding legal documents from Brazilian Cartórios that prove the relationship.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado- … n-vitem-xi

07/31/23 Just as an observation, having gone through the requirement list for these two visa types (Retirement visa and Family Reunion visa), I do find it amazing that it's (slightly) easier to get a family reunion visa solely by having someone (a Brazilian citizen) declare that this person is his/her life partner. You would think that even if they make it that easy, they would at least demand proof of revenues or solvency, but no. You just need this declaration and his/her ID, a passport, your birth certificate and a plane ticket (if you're doing it from abroad). No health insurance required either….
-@Kurterino

That's certainly not the case at Brazilian Consulates in North America or at the Polícia Federal in Brazil; I can't speak to Europe. When a VITEM XI or a Residency Authorization is based on a civil union rather than a legal marriage, they're increasingly firm in demanding legal documents from Brazilian Cartórios that prove the relationship.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado- … n-vitem-xi
-@abthree

it does seem that I misinterpreted something…the main difference between the list you linked, and the one on the Swiss embassy's site, is that in the US version, it is clearly stated

what constitutes proof of a civil union, whereas in the Swiss version, there's just a short sentence stating you must proof your relationship. I'm quite sure the Swiss embassy applies the same criteria as the US.

However, if you can clear that hurdle, there's very little else, like no health insurance, no proof of income. I've checked the list again, there's nothing.

Unrelated question: for both of these visas, if you apply from abroad, you have to buy a plane ticket and show it with the application. No problem, I'll get a refundable one, if I have to change plans for some reason. But I was asking myself, could that be a problem, at immigration in Brazil? I mean the fact that on your application, you stated to arrive in September, but you arrive a couple of months later?  Obviously the visa will only be valid for the remainder, but could they cancel it for that reason?

@abthree because it seems that it takes longer than a month based on what people are saying.

"My renewal has been published in the DOU and I'm awaiting my appointment at PF which is next week. All up so far, it's taken a little over 2 months since I submitted the form and docs in Migrante Web 2.0.

I applied from within Brazil, and with my original application, I applied outside of Brazil"

But maybe I misread, @leashy_kate how soon did they accept the application, not including the need for PF appointment? 

Should I plan to travel if I don't get it submitted by end of the week?

07/31/23 -@abthree
Unrelated question: for both of these visas, if you apply from abroad, you have to buy a plane ticket and show it with the application. No problem, I'll get a refundable one, if I have to change plans for some reason. But I was asking myself, could that be a problem, at immigration in Brazil? I mean the fact that on your application, you stated to arrive in September, but you arrive a couple of months later? Obviously the visa will only be valid for the remainder, but could they cancel it for that reason?
-@Kurterino

I don't know about the Retirement Visa; maybe someone who has one can respond.  According to the website of the Consulate in London (also Warsaw, which I looked at by chance) you'll have a year after the issue date of the VITEM XI to make your first entry into Brazil.  You should confirm that with your local Consulate, and it may be noted on the face of the visa.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado- … e-vitem-xi

You'll then have to get to the Federal Police within 30 days of arrival to complete your Authorization for Residence.  You have up to a year, but they'll have questions if you miss the 30 day deadline.

07/31/23 If you start the renewal process with enough time before your current residency expires, my understanding is that you're not considered as overstaying while your renewal is being shown as processing in Migrante Web 2.0. I suggest contacting your local Policia Federal to check with them.
-@leashy_kate

@vetemently.  I agree with @leashy_kate's observation above. 

About private health insurance: There is no need for it at any stage if you applied within Brazil (MigranteWeb, Policia Federal, etc).

This is both for renewals and first applications. It is only required if you apply at a consulate.

And if you check carefully, even the back of your CRNM states with tiny letters that you have the right to all public health services within Brazil.

A question to those who successfully renewed their permit:

Firstly, congrats and thanks for sharing the useful insights here. How many days did it take for you to get a decision on MigranteWeb after the process turned into "Encaminhado a Analise"?

My permit is almost going to expire, and I want to be able to plan accordingly in case something goes wrong at this stage. I thought I would already have an idea 6 weeks after my application, but still waiting. So it would make things very complicated to leave in such short notice, if it's rejected last minute or something...

Thank you everyone.

07/31/23 -@abthree
Unrelated question: for both of these visas, if you apply from abroad, you have to buy a plane ticket and show it with the application. No problem, I'll get a refundable one, if I have to change plans for some reason. But I was asking myself, could that be a problem, at immigration in Brazil? I mean the fact that on your application, you stated to arrive in September, but you arrive a couple of months later? Obviously the visa will only be valid for the remainder, but could they cancel it for that reason?
-@Kurterino

I don't know about the Retirement Visa; maybe someone who has one can respond. According to the website of the Consulate in London (also Warsaw, which I looked at by chance) you'll have a year after the issue date of the VITEM XI to make your first entry into Brazil. You should confirm that with your local Consulate, and it may be noted on the face of the visa.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado- … e-vitem-xi

You'll then have to get to the Federal Police within 30 days of arrival to complete your Authorization for Residence. You have up to a year, but they'll have questions if you miss the 30 day deadline.
-@abthree

The embassy's website states that upon registration at the PF, you must present the original birth certificate and a sworn translation of it.

Is that actually necessary? Ours are already in 4 languages, including English (plus French, German and Italian)….

If so, is that quite easy to find (a sworn translator)?

07/31/23 -
The embassy's website states that upon registration at the PF, you must present the original birth certificate and a sworn translation of it.
Is that actually necessary? Ours are already in 4 languages, including English (plus French, German and Italian)….
If so, is that quite easy to find (a sworn translator)?
-@Kurterino

I would strongly suggest so. In SP, they were not happy even with the birth certificate (in Portuguese) provided by my consulate.

They accepted the apostilled one, which was sworn translated in Brazil. I don't know what they would do if I didn't have it with me.

Translation services are not complicated, you can email the document to the provider of your choice and pick up when ready.

I'm wondering if the DN visa is worth it? As an American, the 27.5% tax implication that would apply to me, plus paying a Brazilian accountant seems like a lot of money to stay for just 6 months more a year plus you don't even get a path to citizenship. I'd love to stay and continue my Portuguese and surf more and eventually settle in Brazil, but it just seems like such an investment for little return. Is there something I'm missing? I hear of a lot of people talk about doing this visa and everyone goes radio silent the second taxes are brought up. I had one person reply “I need to look into that”. Like wow you did this visa without knowing taxes. I've talked to numerous accountants saying anything over 183 days and you're on the hook for your worldwide income which you're basically submitting how much income you make  to Brazil when you apply for this visa. Please someone enlighten me. Is there something I'm missing here?