DN Visa - Still processing past expiration date

I'm not in this situation yet but my application has been in processing for a month and there's a month left before my current one expires.

Does anyone know what happens if your current one expires while your renewal is still processing?

Also, more complex for me, I have an international trip around this time. So I'm also wondering what would happen if I'm abroad, my current residente cartão expires, and my renewal gets approved?

I am in the exact same situation and have received immigration expert legal advice.

As long as you have submitted an application to renew your residency prior to your current expiration date, your residency remains valid until the application processing is complete. 

To leave and re-enter the country - make sure to have your current CNRM ID card and the application process receipt that the Migrant Web system provided you when you submitted your online application to prove that your residency application is in process.

I imagine it will take some explaining at the airline and immigration on your way back - but it is your legal right to return 'home' while your application is in process.   Thats the advice i received and the lawyer even sent me the specific law where this is written. 

@scottandreas

Thanks! I've had this happen before in other countries so I'm familiar that, in my experience, as long as you have submitted an application to renew your residency prior to your current expiration date, your residency remains valid until the application processing is complete.

I was more worried on the latter part as it seems like there's a chance mine doesn't get processed before I need to go on this work trip. I don't foresee an issue in it getting renewed but explaining all that to immigration/the airline on the way back probably won't be fun.

Exactly - that's the same situation as i am in.  I am leaving Brazil in a few weeks before mine will be processes as well.   As explained above, the solution whe  returning is to show your CRNM card aling with your residency renewal application receipt when returning to Brasil.  This is our only option and the Brasilian law permits this.  Yes, its going to be a pain explaining this to the airline check in staff and potentially to thw Brasilian immigration officer when we arrive. 

Your only other option is delaying your trip.

@scottandreas Good Luck! Going Thru Customs under these situations can be very stressful. Your best advice is always with someone who has been there, done that.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

Worth mentioning the linked post from @mikehunter showing that you can emit a document valid for 30 days, via the steps mentioned.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =6#5885973

It seems that as long as there is  an application in process, it should be fine.

@rocade

Thanks! I actually emailed the appropriate migranteWeb web department and they sent me a link to download the certificate and the section of Brazilian law where it states you're allowed to return home while a residence permit renewal is in process.

Still crossing my fingers I'm able to pick it up before my trip. I was going to try and do it before but that would require me to book a last minute flight so it's looking very likely I'll need to print the certificate and travel while my visa is in processing. It seems like the passport control entering Brazil would know what this is so I'd expect it to be more of a hassle explaining it to the check-in counter airline employee.

If I do have to do this, I'll post again saying how it went so anyone with this issue in the future has it as a reference!

@sovelong I've used the document myself. The PF knows exactly what it is.  Regarding the airlines, yes, you might have an issue with check-in personel, but if so, just ask for a supervisor.  It shouldn't be an issue.  If you're US citizen, remember a VISA isn't required until April, 2025 at the earliest - so if that is the case, absolutely no worries with airport checkin.

Okaaay, so, I have another sort of issue with this. I downloaded the PDF - relatorio certidao tramite - a couple of weeks ago. On the certificate, it says it's valid for 30 days from the time I downloaded it.

I'm actually flying out before my current resident expires but on the way back this relatorio certidao tramite wouldn't be valid. Now, I'm unable to download another one of these certificates because my renewal just got approved.

So when I fly back, I don't know the rules around that. I just print off the migranteweb pdf showing it was approved and explain all this to passport control - that my current residente cartao expired on the trip and my visa was processed/approved but just need to go to the policia federal to pick it up?

@sovelong good to hear the news again, but just to avoid confusion:

As your renewal has been approved, you will now need to visit the Policia Federal in person within 30 days.

At your visit, they will take your current residence card back, and will issue a protocolo (it's a QR code, similar to relatorio I guess) for 90 days. You can freely travel with that.

If you will be travelling sooner than that, I really don't know how this would work, but some kind of problems might arise. If you can manage to fit in your Policia Federal appointment before you travel, it would save you from headache for sure.

@rocade

For visiting the Policia Federal within 30 days, you mean once the migranteweb status says 'publicado' in the DOU? If I don't have to wait on that then I could definitely stop by this next week. At least there wouldn't be an issue with these things for my departure flight.

I'll be back and able to make the visit to the Polica Federal within 30 days. I *think* it would be fine but any issues would be at passport control. At that point, I'd have the relatorio certidao tramite printed off (which says approved) and try to schedule my Policia Federal appointment for the day after I'm back. I'd still be sort of expecting to be taken to a little room for questioning though so definitely not ideal.

@sovelong  Only after DOU publication. I couldn't find the original wording for the 30 days, I'll update here if I do.

Checked my last timeline, it was 8 calendar days from Deferido to having my Protocolo.

• Deferido
  • +1 day, Aguardando Publicacao (I made most documents ready meanwhile)
  • +5 days, Publicado (First appointment available was in 2 days in SP)
  • +2 days, I had my Policia Federal visit and got a Protocolo.

In case it's not possible before you travel, just my assumptions:

- If nearby, just stop by the Policia Federal anyway, maybe they can provide first hand information.

- Never had to deal with "relatorio", no idea how it works tbh. "Publicado" is the last ever update on Migranteweb. But if you can still emit a new one later on that's great.

- And in worst case, hopefully still no "little room": Usually the passport control employees take your documents and go to the Policia Federal office behind and they make a decision there.

Let us know! 1f340.svg

Well the Policia Federal office behind passport control making a decision still sounds kind of daunting haha.

There was one person in the forums who said they had the "relatorio" and it was fine. What I have now is actually the consulta publica imigrantes pdf I'm able to print off that just says my renewal was approved.

Unique situation but I'll update here after!