Registering the Birth of a Child Born in Brazil

Please note  that this English translation is for informational purposes only, and is neither authoritative nor definitive.  The authoritative document in Portuguese on which this translation is based can be accessed through the link at the end of the post.

Birth Certificate

What is it?

It is the first registration of an individual, essential for them to be recognized as a citizen. It is necessary for any other registration or for issuing documents of various types.

How is done?

All births occurring in national territory must be registered. Registration is carried out by the Official Civil Registry of Natural Persons office (“Cartório”), in the district where the “newborn” was born or where the parents reside.

Deadlines

All births occurring in national territory must be registered within 15 days, extended for another 45 days if the mother is the declarant. In addition to the deadline when the mother declares the birth, the law provides for another possibility of extension: when the distance between the place of birth or home is greater than 30 km from the headquarters of the service. In this case, the deadline is extended by up to three months (article 50 of Law 6,016/1973). After the registration period has elapsed, only the service of the jurisdiction of the interested party's residence will be competent, in accordance with article 46 of Law 6,015/1973.

Fines

The original text of the Public Records Law provided for the collection of fines for records made outside the legal deadline, with payment waived for the poor interested party. However, Law 10,215/2001 established that registrations made after the deadline had expired were free of charge, respecting Law 9,534/1997, which established birth registrations free of charge.

Necessary documents

– “Declaration of Live Birth” (“Declaração de Nascido Vivo”,DNV), provided to the parents of newborns by the respective maternity wards and hospitals;

– Identity card of the person(s) appearing at the registry office;

– If only one of the spouses is present, it is necessary to present the marriage certificate;

a) Filiation resulting from marriage

The declaration for registration can be made by only one of the parents when the father is married to the mother. Maternity is always certain, while paternity results from an act of recognition or the relative legal presumption of paternity through marriage (180 days after the marriage and up to 300 days after the dissolution of the conjugal partnership).

b) Filiation outside of marriage

When the parents are not married, they must appear in person at a notary's office or through a special power of attorney, so that their names appear as the registrant's parents. Another option is for just one of them to appear, but with a declaration of recognition of paternity (by the father) or consent to the registration (by the mother), requiring signature recognition.

Birth Occurred at Home

When the birth takes place at home, in addition to personal documents, two adult witnesses who are aware of the birth must be present at the registration ceremony. The people who can declare the birth are:

– The father or mother;

– The closest relative, being an adult;

– The doctor or midwife who attended the birth;

– The administrator of the hospital where the birth took place;

– A suitable person, who attended the birth, if it did not occur either in the hospital or at the mother's home;

The person responsible for the custody of the registrant.

Father and mother under 16

If the mother is under 16 years of age, she must be accompanied by her parents or legal representative when registering the birth. When the father is under 16 years of age, the birth declaration can only be made with judicial authorization.

Changing the name of the registrant

After the birth registration has been made, any change to the registrant's name can only be made with judicial authorization. To avoid future complications, it is important that parents, or the person responsible for registration, are attentive and clear at the time of registration, when informing the registrar of the registrant's name and surname.

Registration for people over 12 years old

For those over 12 years of age, the request for late registration is first addressed to the Registration Officer in the district of the interested party's residence, with subsequent referral to the Permanent Magistrate's Court.

Precautions – Documents not accepted as identification

– It is essential for birth registration that the declarant is identified.

– Any tampering with the Declaration of Live Birth (DN) is subject to legal punishment

– Taking a DN from a hospital or maternity ward is a crime.

– It is important to exercise caution on the part of the registrar when confirming the authenticity of the DN with the hospital/maternity ward.

– If the registrar has any doubts regarding the declarant - The documents below are NOT valid as identification documents:

– Reservist certificate;

– Work permit;

– Identity cards

Subsequent change or rectification of the name on the identification document, due to marriage, divorce or other reasons, does not prevent registration. However, the interested party must present a civil registration certificate proving the change or rectification of name. If the identification document contains a material error regarding the name, the declarant may present a civil registration certificate proving the error, thus prevailing the form contained in the certificate.

Multiparenting and socio-affective paternity

Provision No. 63/2017, published by the National Justice Inspectorate, authorized the voluntary recognition of socio-affective paternity or maternity before civil registration officers. Therefore, a court decision is no longer necessary for the registry office to include a socio-affective father or mother in the birth registration. In this way, the possibility of multiparenting was also recognized, limited, in the extrajudicial scope, to the inclusion of two fathers and two mothers (other additions, only through judicial process).

Procedure:

To carry out the recognition, the interested party must go to a civil registry office with an identity document with a photo and the birth certificate of the child to be recognized. The father or mother (socio-affective) must be over 18 years old, with marital status being irrelevant. Recognition may be carried out at a registry office other than the one where the child to be recognized was originally registered.

If the child is under 12 years of age, the consent of the biological parents will be required.

And if the child to be recognized is over 12 years old, the child must agree or not, by signing the specific document.

How much does it cost?

Birth registration, as well as the first certificate, is free (Federal Law 9,534/1997).

Authoritative Document:  https://www.anoreg.org.br/site/atos-ext … ascimento/

I am seeking guidance on acquiring a definitive list of documents necessary for the registration of a live birth.

This inquiry stems from a consultation with a notary in our current district of residence in Florianopolis, SC, who informed us that the registration process requires the presentation of apostilled birth certificates for both parents, specifically to include the grandparents' names on the baby's birth certificate.

This requirement poses a challenge as the father is yet to apostille his birth certificate—a process that is not feasible within our current timeframe due to the impending birth and previous name changes during immigration procedures, resulting in a discrepancy between the name on his birth certificate and his passport.

Given these circumstances, and considering that the notary in question has a reputation for being particularly meticulous, I am eager to find an authoritative source that could verify the accuracy of these requirements. This would enable us to prepare adequately before approaching another notary for the birth registration. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for official resources or guidance on this matter.

03/18/24 @inplainview.  The definitive list appears above.  Cartórios have latitude in how to interpret it,  and trying to convince them that they're wrong is seldom a wise use of time.  If the maternity hospital where the child was born has an in-house cartório, try there:  they may be more responsive.   Otherwise, you're working against a deadline, so it would make sense to consult an attorney sooner rather than later.

@abthree We ultimately decided for a homebirth, so we'll have to go to the local notary by ourselves. What would be the best way to find a good immigration attorney in Florianopolis? Google searches are not offering any useful results. I messaged/called all the attorneys on the first three pages and none of those who got back to me inspired much trust unfortunately.

04/11/24    @abthree We ultimately decided for a homebirth, so we'll have to go to the local notary by ourselves. What would be the best way to find a good immigration attorney in Florianopolis? Google searches are not offering any useful results. I messaged/called all the attorneys on the first three pages and none of those who got back to me inspired much trust unfortunately.        -@inplainview

Immigration Law is not a popular specialty in Brazil, particularly in the smaller capitals.  The best way I know of to find an attorney, aside from recommendations by Brazilian family and friends, is to go the site   jusbrasil.com.br  , click on "Advogados", do a search, and start contacting the ones who come up.  At least anyone you find on Jusbrasil will meet the legal requirements to practice law.  You'll need to determine whether you feel comfortable with one of them.

@abthree Great advice as always, thank you very much! Unfortunately, no immigration attorney appears to have been registered in Florianopolis. I guess I will sign up for an online consultation with one of the big names that advertise online.

@inplainview

I know several attorneys who handle immigration matters, (not near you) but not exclusively - they also have other "strings to their bows".

I think you will not find one that only does immigration near you, so talk to some foreigners in your area who have visas and take their advice

04/11/24    @abthree  Great advice as always, thank you very much! Unfortunately, no immigration attorney appears to have been registered in Florianopolis. I guess I will sign up for an online consultation with one of the big names that advertise online.

-@inplainview

Nothing wrong with trying out "big names", but I generally recommend talking to some younger attorneys.  As recent graduates, their knowledge is probably more current than that of some of the "old hands".  That goes particularly for their information on immigration, which Brazilian law students study as part of their International Law course, and many of them never look at again after graduation.  A younger attorney is used to researching unfamiliar topics, may also be less sure of his/her own expertise, and a little more likely to really listen to the client.

@inplainview@abthree I was actually wondering about that also. I am on 4+ months in the USA on my Immigration journey, so it did cross my mind what it would have been like if I had done this in Sao Paulo? Is it possible to locate to Sao Paulo, where they have the best Immigration Attorneys, just to do this. It does seem like a tradeoff between knowledgeable professionals and living away from the big city.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

P.S. If not I firmly believe in utilizing the services of those that HAVE done it., so in this case looking up anyone who has the VISA etc. that you want and connecting with the professional that made it happen for them, step by step. 1f60e.svg

04/13/24 @abthree I was actually wondering about that also. I am on 4+ months in the USA on my Immigration journey, so it did cross my mind what it would have been like if I had done this in Sao Paulo?
    -@roddiesho

I think that you're probably doing the best that you could have done under the circumstances.  You needed documents from the US, and you had loose ends that you needed to tie up at the Consulate there, so being in the São Paulo would have made communications easier and faster than they were in the interior of Ceará, but I doubt that it would have made the news any better, or made your trip Stateside unnecessary. 

@abthree Well, this is the Big Cherry Blossom Parade, Festival and more in the nation's capital. Never thought I would see it again,,,just sitting under the tree.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg