British purchasing a property in Morocco

Hi, I'm looking to buy with my husband in Morocco but I will not be resident. My husband is Moroccan and lives there still.

Im wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good lawyer to help me with the legalities and any implications that I need to be aware of.

@SJAS85 If you're married to him why don't you have a residency ?that doesn't make sense...!!!

Are you married legally?

I'm from America and I had a Moroccan scam me.. They just want visas residency passports to get to America and use anybody for the means to get out of Morocco... Or any country not just America but america's golden to them even though they talk s*** about us

@Sandra Ruiz87 hi Sandra. I didn't ask for an opinion on the legitimacy of my marriage or general opinions on moroccan mens reasons for marrying foreigners. i also don't know why me not being resident is relevant to you or needs to make sense to you.

Im not American (thank god). Yes, I am legally married. We have our own reasons for our current living situation which is none of your business.

Perhaps, next time only respond to a post if you have something useful and relevant to add rather than spouting unhelpful and derogatory information based on your own experience.

I am sorry that you had a bad experience but bitterness and anger serves no one.

if you want to buy together, I understand both of you will own the house, then you should be a resident. That would be the starting point. Otherwise you wont have any right over the property….

Ahhh that's really interesting to know. and if i buy in just my name?

@Yassim M

Wrong ..............................

@SJAS85 Maybe you should rent first to see if you like that area. Rent is cheap compared to USA or England. Also, you don't have to be a resident to buy an apartment or house.

@SJAS85 yes i know

@Yahya411 Thank you. happy with the areas we are looking at. we have spent plenty of time there on numerous occasions. i don't want to become resident unless i have to as i have no intention of living in Morocco for at least 10 years. we regularly rent apartments when i stay which is usually at least monthly but it would be nice to have a place thats ours that i can leave my things there and just have a more permanent place. he wont be moving to the UK until towards the end of next year due to work.  But the intention would be to then rent it out in air b n b (rather than a long term rental as we will still be coming back together for family and his work)

so its for convenience for now and as a rental/investment in the future.

my thoughts are really around the legal aspects and the implications for me as a non resident and also from the point of view that if we were to divorce in the future how i could protect my share for example.  obviously i hope that never happens but im not naive and want to make sure i understand everything before we go ahead.

@Khalid Jaffar Hi… is there anymore to that response 😂. grateful for any information you can share that is relevant. thanks

Moderated by Bhavna 5 months ago
Reason : Advertising
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct