Joint ownership of apartment but husband has died

What now happens do I become the owner of the apartment as I only have one son? As I already owe 50%?

What is the moroccan law say is what I'm after.

What now happens do I become the owner of the apartment as I only have one son? As I already owe 50%?
-@happyadam

Firstly condolences to you and the family and sorry to hear about your Husband passing.

What nationality are you?

If your Moroccan citizen then you will have to follow the islamic law on inheritance unless you husband has left a will.

usually it would go to your Son meaning the father share of the asset unless specific instruction has been given.

You would normally have to take the title and death certificate to the appropriate administration to make the declaration of death in order to update the title registry on the property.

If you were foreigner then you can just take the death certificate and make the appropriate changes to the title to put under your name.

Please note there might be inheritance tax to pay but better to speak to lawyer on this matter and a lawyer can help make these changes with less hassle.

So sorry for your loss. I also lost my husband a couple of years ago. We were both US citizens. I consulted a lawyer here who asked me what would happen in the US? I told him that in my state, it would go to me since we were married. He said fine, You just need to get US paperwork that states this.

Luckily in my case, he didn't have any children, I only have one son but not with him, and we had no property in the US. The lawyer drew up papers stating such, they were translated & then used to take my late husband off the title.

It took a while to get this done but it was relatively eventless.

Apart from your son, did your late husband have any siblings?  I believe according to Islamic Law, they would be entitled too.

If not, great.  If yes,  then, unless there's a Will, then it might be distributed, but higher share for son.

@RR@ Yea. He had only one brother surviving, American, who wants nothing to do with Morocco. He would've probably changed anything legal that he could from the US. He is not a traveler like his late brother was. But I didn't have to resort to that luckily.

The brother wasn't a traveller and yet he's an American citizen!  Still, by Islamic Law, I believe he's entitled to something.