Viettel 'ZTE' Router Bad Certificate For Admin Controls

Anyone have a problem with getting a bad Certificate warning when attempting to adjust ADMIN settings at https://192.168.1.1 ?

I got the warning using Windows 8.1 and Chrome browser.

I checked with Internet Explorer and the warning was the same.

Thanks for helpful replies.

Were you able to log in?

Need more info. Are you trying to access your router from an android phone?

If so what is the name of your router?

VietCanada wrote:

Were you able to log in?

Need more info. Are you trying to access your router from an android phone?

If so what is the name of your router?

I'm not going to attempt to log in until I feel assured that it's safe.

Windows 8.1 doesn't run on an android phone. However, I will stipulate I'm using an HP laptop.

As the title of the thread indicates, it's a Viettel ZTE:

https://gordythomas.files.wordpress.com/2020/05/20200505_235303-01.jpeg

Your reply implies that you have not experienced this problem yourself, correct?

Yes I have never had this issue.

I did a search using your thread title and found that other people do have this problem with certificates. That search now has your post at the top!

It could be a browser error. Chrome comes up a lot for this error.

Try installing Firefox and see if you still get the error. Just uninstall it if it doesn't solve the problem.

Some solutions involved installing software that promised to fix the problem. I wouldn't advise that. Strongly.

I had an HP laptop for awhile with Linux on it but I have only ever accessed the router form my PC. The only problem I ever had was solved when I found the un and pw on the router. That wasn't a certificate error.

This what I do to get to my router:

http://192.168.1.1/main.html

for what it's worth.

I hope that doesn't send everyone to my router!

VietCanada wrote:

I did a search using your thread title and found that other people do have this problem with certificates. That search now has your post at the top!

Try installing Firefox and see if you still get the error. Just uninstall it if it doesn't solve the problem.

Some solutions involved installing software that promised to fix the problem. I wouldn't advise that. Strongly.

I had an HP laptop for awhile with Linux on it but I have only ever accessed the router form my PC. The only problem I ever had was solved when I found the un and pw on the router. That wasn't a certificate error.

for what it's worth.

That gets me 404 error not found.

I'll try firefox since the error in Chrome was duplicated in Internet explorer.

Thanks!

I'll post what happens

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
VietCanada wrote:

for what it's worth.

I'll try firefox since the error in Chrome was duplicated in Internet explorer.

Thanks!

I'll post what happens

Same problem with Firefox.

3 strikes...

Bit of a gamble try using TOR browser... normally used for access to the dark net wide of things. I have used it im the past, a little slower than chrome but has the added benefits of added privacy.

I did wonder if some sites dont respon dfast enough so they just give you the 404 error as a default response

howto-login-ZTE-router-and-access-settings

i was looking at this site and it mentions using 192.168.0.1 for the ZTE.
My router is 192.168.1.1

Does this help?

Actually usually the first thing I do when I have tech problems is reboot. Unplug the router for about a minute and plug it back in.

Here's a good site to check with instructions for a certificate error.

how-to-fix-invalid-certificate-error

It's for lynksis routers but the certificate error doesn't care what the router is.

I haven't seen a certificate error in a long time. maybe it's a windows thing. I haven't used MS for more than a decade.

Best to leave the router off for around twenty minutes fir the reboot to have any effect ... it takes around this long for the leased IP address to be reset and reallocated.

ZTE router we have here is similiar to yours either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 shoild work, pretty much the same for every router

On the back is a sticker with username and password which are different to your wifi credentials

The certificate error, you can ignore. They are part of the firmware/router software. It's no uncommon.
All you can do is either ignore or upgrade the firmware.
Those certificate are only important for some computer to clearly identify another object in a network. As you know, it's your router, nothing to worry.
Also, most browsers allow to acceptions for strict certificate checking

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

a bad Certificate warning

What is the warning exactly?

VietCanada wrote:

for what it's worth.

It doesn't, since it's a local IP adress, which is accessible from your network and can't been seen from outside.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Yes, because your router is running on a different IP. It will be the same with every browser available.

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Bit of a gamble try using TOR browser... normally used for access to the dark net wide of things. I have used it im the past, a little slower than chrome but has the added benefits of added privacy.

While using TOR is always a good idea, it doesn't solve the certificate problem.
It is slower than Chrome because it "bounces" your internet packages between different nodes in the "TOR system", e.g., to obscure the receipient (you).

Tiny_63 wrote:

The certificate error, you can ignore. They are part of the firmware/router software.
All you can do is either ignore or upgrade the firmware.
Those certificate are only important for some computer to clearly identify another object in a network. As you know, it's your router, nothing to worry.
Also, most browsers allow to acceptions for strict certificate checking

Most likely you get the "bad certificate" warning because the router uses a self signed certificate which is not trusted by your computer. You could enable trust by importing it or the issuing certificate authority into the certificate store of your computer. (Additionally: some browsers use their own certificate trust store which means you also need to import it there.)

Edit: Spelling

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Anyone have a problem with getting a bad Certificate warning when attempting to adjust ADMIN settings at https://192.168.1.1 ?

I got the warning using Windows 8.1 and Chrome browser.

I checked with Internet Explorer and the warning was the same.

Thanks for helpful replies.

Ignore the warning and continue.  You CAN NOT get outside on that IP address, and no one can get in on it, either.  It is only accessible from the inside (your side) so nothing to worry about.