Unlimited data sim card in Vietnam

@Aidan in HCMC

Hi i was wondering how and where can i get an unlimited data simcard in vietnam? anything i should keep in mind? should i get it from the airport?? or is there a better deal for these. Thanks in advance :)

Hi i was wondering how and where can i get an unlimited data simcard in vietnam? anything i should keep in mind? should i get it from the airport?? or is there a better deal for these. Thanks in advance smile.png-@chimiche

Hi chimiche.

I'm not too familiar with phone data plans, not owning a phone myself. That said, my GF got a sim card from Viettel last September. One year, unlimited data for ~950K VND.

That plan will expire very shortly, so she'll be getting a new plan soon. I'll report back the details/cost.

I'm sure other members will be able to give you advice on airport kiosk sim card deals/costs/limitations.

Hello everyone,

Please note that this new thread has been created from Chimiche question on the Vietnam forum.

All the best

Bhavna

Hi i was wondering how and where can i get an unlimited data simcard in vietnam? anything i should keep in mind? should i get it from the airport?? or is there a better deal for these. Thanks in advance smile.png-@chimiche

Viettel and Mobiphone are the two main choices. I used Mobiphone when I lived in VN, which worked fine for me, but I don't think they offer unlimited data packages and I had to top up my balance sometimes even after purchasing a 3-month package when exceeding the data limit. This is their website (change to English in the upper right-hand corner):

https://www.mobifone.vn

Viettel's site doesn't seem to have an option for English:

https://www.vietteltelecom.vn

This blog below recommends buying a Viettel SIM (due to better coverage) at the airport and provides a lot of details as well as some comments from readers at the end:

https://wanderingwheatleys.com/best-vie … -internet/

As mentioned in the article, the SIM card needs to be registered with your details and passport number, and you need to make sure it's done properly.

Hi i was wondering how and where can i get an unlimited data simcard in vietnam? anything i should keep in mind? should i get it from the airport?? or is there a better deal for these. Thanks in advance smile.png-@chimicheHi chimiche.I'm not too familiar with phone data plans, not owning a phone myself. That said, my GF got a sim card from Viettel last September. One year, unlimited data for ~950K VND. That plan will expire very shortly, so she'll be getting a new plan soon. I'll report back the details/cost.I'm sure other members will be able to give you advice on airport kiosk sim card deals/costs/limitations.        -@Aidan in HCMC

This is price for monthly subscription? 950K? Are speeds decent outside cities?

Hi i was wondering how and where can i get an unlimited data simcard in vietnam? anything i should keep in mind? should i get it from the airport?? or is there a better deal for these. Thanks in advance smile.png-@chimicheHi chimiche.I'm not too familiar with phone data plans, not owning a phone myself. That said, my GF got a sim card from Viettel last September. One year, unlimited data for ~950K VND. That plan will expire very shortly, so she'll be getting a new plan soon. I'll report back the details/cost.I'm sure other members will be able to give you advice on airport kiosk sim card deals/costs/limitations.        -@Aidan in HCMC
This is price for monthly subscription? 950K? Are speeds decent outside cities?
  -@narcrepellant2525

950K, per year. :)

I haven't checked the actual speed through ookla, but it is 4G.

I'm using Vietnamobile for years now.

60k a month for unlimited data and comes with an English app.

Excellent 4G in the city (HCM) , I do some of my video calls from the taxi.

Which company is best for roadtrips?

Which company is best for roadtrips?

-@narcrepellant2525

Greyhound

No- it's FlixBus.  Grammary police strikes again! 😂

No FlixBuss

Okay, which company has best 4G  coverage for road trips?

Aidan! (our resident expert on all such things) What happened to the thread where virtually all of the questions in this thread were answered at great length?

😌

🙏

Aidan! (our resident expert on all such things) What happened to the thread where virtually all of the questions in this thread were answered at great length?
😌
🙏
    -@OceanBeach92107

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jog my memory a bit. I can't recall just now which thread, or when.

Okay, which company has best 4G  coverage for road trips?

-@narcrepellant2525

According to people there and Tinhte forum, Viettel is the best then 2nd Vinaphone, 3rd Mobifone and last place Vietnamobile.

@yng68bld

The ranging is 100% correct compared to number of subscriber and Radio base stations (Radio Towers)

However with VNPT you typical get better speed for download   Google speedtest.net  Vietnam chose the option Mobile

https://www.speedtest.net/performance/vietnam

Aidan! (our resident expert on all such things) What happened to the thread where virtually all of the questions in this thread were answered at great length?😌🙏    -@OceanBeach92107¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Jog my memory a bit. I can't recall just now which thread, or when.        -@Aidan in HCMC

So what's the name of this Viettel plan valid for 1 year? 

So what's the name of this Viettel plan valid for 1 year?          -@narcrepellant2525

Search for:

Gói data không giới hạn của Viettel

Name:  12UMAX90M

Price:  1080000 VND

Duration:  14 MONTHS

That is the only annual unlimited data plan listed on viettelstore.vn

Name:  12UMAX90MPrice:  1080000 VNDDuration:  14 MONTHSThat is the only annual unlimited data plan listed on viettelstore.vn        -@yng68bld

Are we sure that plan hasn't been discontinued?

See here (Link to Viettel)

Google translate;

"12UMAX90 Viettel - Unlimited Data Package for 1 Year

From June 15, 2023, Viettel stops registering for the 12UMAX90 package and replaces it with 8 NEW Data and Voice + Data Combo packages below. We welcome you to consult and register

There are 2 groups of Viettel packages from June 15, 2023 as follows:

1. Common package applies to all Viettel mobile subscribers

2. Package only applies to new SIMs activated from January 1, 2023 onwards"

If that is the case then Viettel has decided to stop the 1 year data sim.  I see from the badly designed website of no new replacement.

@yng68bld

Confirmed. Just returned from Viettel where GF was told that special has been discontinued.

My guess is that it was much too popular!

She purchased the...

Gói SD90

Giá: 90.000 đ / 30 ngày

Dung lượng Data: 45 GB

1.5 GB data tốc độ cao/ngày

Thời gian sử dụng: 30 ngày

Google Translate;

SD90 package

Price: 90,000 VND / 30 days

Data capacity: 45 GB

1.5 GB high-speed data/day

Usage period: 30 days

Six months, 540K VND.

Name:  12UMAX90MPrice:  1080000 VNDDuration:  14 MONTHSThat is the only annual unlimited data plan listed on viettelstore.vn        -@yng68bld

Google translate;
From June 15, 2023, Viettel stops registering for the 12UMAX90 package and replaces it with 8 NEW Data and Voice + Data Combo packages below. We welcome you to consult and register

-@Aidan in HCMC

From all of the spam I've been seeing on my phone and our experience putting Viettel internet in at our new home, it appears they are switching to a model that is somewhat common in the United States: you can indeed get "unlimited" data (data always available and no extra charge no matter how much you use) but the monthly or daily limit of the highest tier speed is in fact limited.

So you might get X-GB allowance for 4G data streaming, and after using the full X-GB, you then get data at 3G or even 2G speeds for an unlimited amount but reduced speed.

So data is always available at no extra charge but speeds are "throttled" after using up the high speed allowance.

Sometimes I'm glad I'm phone-less.

When the sales reps go through their spiel it's all  ̶G̶r̶e̶e̶k̶   Vietnamese to me :)

It's not that  bad I guess like some plan I bought while living in Scandinavia. Did some travel across Europe and decided that would be nice to stay in touch with friends. It only gave me constant EDGE connection while on road, it could barely transmit message on Viber hahaaaaaa, what a rip off.

@Aidan in HCMC

So you pony up 540K VND at the office and have some other things to think about. Is there better deal there out? I met one dude from Kazakhstan who said he regularly torrent download files in his country via smartphone  and he showed me his app for single month - that  dude downloaded something like 10TB or more per month this was years ago. I guess this has to be yet matched everywhere.

@Aidan in HCMC
So you pony up 540K VND at the office and have some other things to think about. Is there better deal there out? 
    -@narcrepellant2525

Here are the only offers I'm aware of.

I'm not even sure if those offers are available to foreigners.

I last saw an ads about a new MVNO which ran under Vinaphone umbrella that offered unlimited BW for 65K VND per month.  I believe the name is Wintel and you can get the sim kit from any Winmart.

I don't understand why a Vietnamese citizen is asking this question as they should know the best answer then an expat.

I don't understand why a Vietnamese citizen is asking this question as they should know the best answer then an expat.
        -@cougarcar20

:)This is why

I met one dude from Kazakhstan who said he regularly torrent download files in his country via smartphone  and he showed me his app for single month - that  dude downloaded something like 10TB or more per month...

-@narcrepellant2525

Probably tethered

Has anybody tried or are using esim?  I'm looking at the Iphone 15 here in the USA ,and am trying to figure out which is the best plan when back next month.

Thanks

Google translate;

-@Aidan in HCMC

@yng68bld & @Aidan in HCMC:

It turns out you are both correct.

I signed up for the Viettel 12UMAX90 plan in February 2023 INSIDE a VIETTEL corporate STORE (Hội An) when purchasing a new android phone there with my wife's assistance.

I received 12 months of unlimited data PLUS 2 bonus months, good through April 18th, 2024 (yesterday).

Then, in June 2023, I received a text alerting me to the same info Aidan shared: that I would not be able to renew the same plan because it was being discontinued.

Two weeks ago we started looking for a new data plan through the My Viettel app.

The best plan we could find was a combo Data/Phone/Text/TV plan limiting data to 8 GB a day, for over $2 million VNĐ.

So we went into a corporate Viettel Store here in Đà Nẵng, where a helpful salesperson looked up my account and told us I was eligible to renew my 12UMAX90 data plan (no additional phone/text or TV) for the same ₫1,080,000VNĐ price I paid last year, including the same 2 month bonus I received last time (approximately ₫77,143 VNĐ or $3.03 USD per month for 14 months of unlimited data).

Very important to mention that we only requested data; not any combo plan.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, data here is ALWAYS subject to "throttling".

We went ahead and deposited the money to my Viettel account (phone number is account number) but we were prepared to receive a message saying that the plan was not available and that we needed to choose another option.

Instead, I received this text at 8 AM this morning:

Viettel TB: Gói 12UMAX90 đã gia hạn thành công. Cước phí 1.080.000đ/360 ngày (12 chu kỳ). Quý khách được tặng thêm 2 chu kỳ (60 ngày) và gói cước gia hạn sau 420 ngày.... Trân trọng.

(Google Translation)

Viettel TB: Package 12UMAX90 has been successfully renewed.  Fee 1,080,000 VND/360 days (12 cycles).  You will receive 2 additional cycles (60 days) and a renewal package after 420 days....Best regards.

(.... I removed the personal link for my account)

I *think* (don't know for sure) that I got this easily because of my TRC that's good for well over another year AND I was accompanied by my wife, and maybe because I'd previously bought that plan.

Maybe the 12UMAX90 is now similar to items on the "Not So Secret" menu at In-N-Out Burger.

You can find it if you qualify for it and you walk into a corporate store and ask for it.

(ADDED note: I still had ₫90,000 VNĐ in my phone account but I added đ100,000 VNĐ to cover any calls & texts I might make over the coming year.)

I hope this is helpful for someone.

We use my phone as a family wifi hotspot for 4 phones when we are out at the beach or traveling in a car or on the train, etc.