VPN information needed

What company offers the best VPN for the Dominican Republic?

I use Express VPN

I use Express VPN as well.

I  use it because of Jgolak......LOL

:top:

I use SurfShark because it is very secure and very fast

I use that option with my NORTON package

but I hear hidemyass is good...

Currently using IPVanish.  Let's me connect more devices than the others, and they had a coupon code on their site, so it is less than half the price of Express VPN.  I have no idea if it's better or not, but it works.  Just can't stream Amazon, they're too smart for a VPN.

Another option is to have your internet company give you a router with a US IP.

This will allow you to get Amazon and eliminate the need for a VPN.

Unfortunately, my IP provider is Casa Linda.  I suppose I can buy my own router, but it's not worth it at this point. I don't even subscribe to Prime, it was the free trial thingy.

We are going to try and convince our property manager to install the common space router with a US  ip address.

With VPN you need one that does not leak your real IP address. ExpressVPN is good at that. So access to paypal for example is not a problem. Also access to Amazon Prime should work from a computer running ExpressVPN. SkySports also works with ExpressVPN. However, Netflix will not work with ExpressVPN.

NordVPN is good also, but does leak your real IP address, however, they have an agreement with Netflix, so they are the only VPN software that allows Netflix and which thinks you are in the US, that I am aware of.

I had Delancher in Sosua and they was able to give me a US IP address mapped to my router. Other companies promised it...hint Altice...but they did not deliver to me here in Santo Domingo.

-real

Hello all,

I need some help please. I recently opened my recovery house here in Santo Domingo and Altice has connected my Wi-Fi as a commercial account.

My customers are not able to use the following:
Hulu
Netflix
Pandora
Etc

Can any of you guys assist with how I go about getting a private VPN so we can log into these accounts and use it please.
I live between Miami and Santo Domingo so I can purchase whatever I may need in America also. Thanks

I've used expressvpn here for about 3 years. I bought a compatible router I believe it's a Netgear one that I can load and Flash the expressvpn software onto it. That way I can feed my whole house and only show using one account. It's truly amazing cuz I can change wherever I want it to be and it also does speed testing so it determines what is the fastest one for the area you're in. I have never ran into one issue using any banking or shopping sites. It's well worth the money for the year fee plus you get an extra 4 months at least I did about a month ago when I renewed it.

Here it doesn't matter if it's personal or commercial most US services are blocked - meaning much if not most of the contents is unavailable.

A good VPN will unlock all of the accounts.  I have heard Express VPN recommended the most.

Expressvpn seems to be your most logical company to go with. You can go on their website and see which routers support their firmware. That way you get unlimited amount of devices able to be used at the same time. The router only registers as one device and I know throughout my house here I have about 12 to 15 smart devices computers TVs I've never had an issue with them. They're also updating their locations you can change very easily through the dashboard app. Plus the speeds vary from each one. Usually with a rule of thumb is about 75% of your speed is going to be kept you lose 25% more or less when you're using a VPN here in my personal experience.

I've used NordVPN, ExpressVPN, and SmartDNS to try to get around some of the restrictions. All worked for a while but eventually were detected by the services.

We are now using LibertyShield and have been quite happy! The only drawback to LS is that you have to use one of their routers - you can't configure a router to use their service like you can with Nord, Express, and some of the others. Amazon carries their routers starting at $20 or so. With that, you get 2 weeks of free service, then it's $70-100 per year, depending on what specials they are running.

Netflix should work without VPN, but you will see DR offerings, not everything that is available in the US.

Hello

I am using Nordvpn but mostly for my Canadian banking when I am here in DR.  I select a canadian server/location, and it looks like I am in Canada.  Then the canadian banks let me access my accounts. For your usa guests, they can select a usa server location, and that should allow them to appear to be located there, and those services should work.  In theory.

But the technology changes very fast.  One day last week I was blocked with an error code.  I called support (in Canada) and they said the problem was my VPN, I had to disable it  When I did that, it worked.   Previously the VPN was required to work.

I use my netfllix account here in DR without a vpn, no issues.

What about TOR?

I'm able to access all my banks without VPN, and some, like Remitly, I cannot connect to if VPN is running.

Karin - with NetFlix, if you aren't using VPN, you'll be getting what is offered in DR. If you connect with VPN, you can get US or Canadian offerings!

hi
i am bit lost here when you guys saying VPN i understand it is virtual private network
so u need to have a Canadian provider or what
am Canadian too

With a VPN, you can usually connect through a server anywhere in the world, so your IP address shows you in that country. For websites and services with geographic restrictions, you need to show you are in a country they serve. For instance, you can connect to your Netflix account from DR without a VPN, but you will see the movies and shows offered in the DR. If you use a VPN and connect to a US server before logging into Netflix, you will then see the US movies and shows. A way to see this is to see the highlights on the home screen. They will normally list movies and "#1 in US today" or "#1 in DR today".

Even though I have no trouble getting to banking sites without VPN, Home Depot is blocked!  :|

Free person......no, canada and the dr are different countries.   You can use the internet with no connection at all with canada.  This also applies to the rest of the world.

Looks like nobody has heard of TOR. It works, and is free.

What VPN's are everyone using in 2024?

@huddleston1 coming up on 3 years with NordVPN....zero issues with performance.

We've recently switched to Nord from LibertyShield. It depends on what you want it for. Our main purpose is to stream US TV. We had problems with ExpressVPN for that purpose, and then LibertyShield, which had worked perfectly for 2.5 years, began moving its locations around, causing huge issues with using Hulu. Hulu has very strict location restrictions, so a roving VPN location didn't work!

Thanks for the updates 

Based in Switzerland, I've been using Proton VPN for several years; they have a free version for download.

@ddmcghee can you now use Hulu with nord?

I am also having issues with Express VPN and Hulu

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56

Just left Cabarete last week, but was using Express VPN without issue.  i do have it sideloaded onto a separate router.

everytime i did have an issue i called into their helpline and they straightend it out in short order. Have you tried that?

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56 Yes, for a short time, but we had other frustrations with Hulu,  so switched over to YouTubeTV at about the same time we switched to Nord.

Does Claro have US routers? has anyone used US routers here in the DR (with which provider ) ? I use PIA VPN but that only gets me access to the normal US sites (banking, Home depot, the county tax department ....) but not Amazon Prime or any other streaming service I use to enjoy -- and like all of you, I would like to find a solution to that problem

@Bigskydomes

In the DR and most of latin america several streaming services are a bit cheaper and more flexible to added devices or profiles/locations. So my step daugther in the DR has a Amazon Prime/Disney+/Netflix account and I have my own profile that I use both in the EU and the DR on her account. As far as I know I have the same content and playlist wherever I am.  Banking and other services to the EU work fine and so far I have not seen the need for a VPN. Maybe the US is more restricted to foreign access?

The router in the DR is a Mercusys, I tried logging in but no success. I have a pair of obsolete motorola/zyxel routers that I shipped to the DR but havent tried those.

If you have a firestick for streaming you should read this:

https://cybernews.com/how-to-use-vpn/ch … 20process.