Verizon Unlimited Ultimate Plan

Good morning all

I keep reading forum posts about cell phones in DR. I have checked into the Verizon Unlimited Ultimate plan which, according to the company, allows one to use their current smartphone while in DR to make calls, text, and stream (plus more), while living in DR.

Has or does anybody have experience with this plan?

Thank you and have a grand day!

My understanding (after chatting with Verizon) is that that plan only gives you International calling, text and Data for Mexico and Canada.   For the DR you'd still have to pay for an international daily ($10) or Monthly ($100) plan.  i believe the international benefit they reference is for calling to a country .

If you find out differently, please share!  we have DR sims for when were here, and eliminating those and our int'l plans would save us money!

Hello, I use T Mobile and can make calls to the US or Dominican (at a .25/min charge) but have unlimited wifi and data. No daily use charges.  I also have a Dominican cell number, but bought a plan from Voiply that has a home phone with a USA number and an application that can be loaded to your smart phone whereby you can answer and make calls to the USA and many other foreign countries at no additional cost. Calls in the DR cost .10/min because the Dominican charges Voiply....but then again you would be using a DR cell phone. I put my USA home number on the Voiply account so others can call me without incurring an international charge, and likewise I can call out.... But there is always the What's App or Telegram apps that allow you to talk mostly everywhere for no cost....just using the data on your phone

I get free texts, wi-fi etc.... calls=No..... for the DR

T-Mobile account............. Magenta 55+

Mine too, plus Voiply

I had verizon 4 years ago but after i got a $60 bill for 3-4 calls i had to make , i switch to T-mobile .25 cents a min outside the states DR ,  Mexico,  Europe… doesn't  matter

@Tripp789

What you mention about the $10 daily ($100 month) is what my Verizon plan charges.  I try hard to remember to have people call me on WhatsApp otherwise I end with it costing me sooooo much!

@ondami. I had Verizon when I moved. ( I didn't realize at the time I would live here 11 months out of the year). I didn't have the ultimate, however It worked well. I traveled by car around the country and needed google maps etc.  I don't know your plans, but now I have Google Fi for my USA number that I need to keep and Altice ( DR ) sim card. Like everyone here I use Whatsapp for most communication. So if you are long term, you are much better off with a DR sim card for data. I am guessing Verizon ultimate is expensive.

We have Claro monthly plans that cost us about $28/month. I'm not sure how much data that is, but we never use it all. We have wifi at home, so that helps!

Both of us have dual SIM phones and have a Mint Mobile $15/month plan in the other SIM slot. We get wifi calling to/from our US number while we are in the DR and have 5G of data per month when we are in the US and turn on the data! This gives us a REAL US phone number for bank and other verifications. We had virtual phones for almost 3 years, but it got to be a pain with verifications that wouldn't work with a virtual number, and we still had to buy roaming plans when we visited the US.

@ddmcghee thank you.  Very informative.

Be careful with T mobile.  i was traveling in Europe for three months, then was in DR for a month (in US fir two weeks in between).  so t mobile cut all the data (cell or wifi data and text)  COMPLETELY as they said they can not cover international coverage for that long…

@rgwsf. Google Fi gives you a month of data while out if the country, but you can still text for free and makes calls over the network. The cost is 30 USD per month. That is why I have an Altice sim card as well. So my total phone bill between the 2 services is 50 USD per month. When I only had Verizon it was 250 per month. About the same as my rent for a studio apartment

Be careful with T mobile.  i was traveling in Europe for three months, then was in DR for a month (in US fir two weeks in between).  so t mobile cut all the data (cell or wifi data and text)  COMPLETELY as they said they can not cover international coverage for that long…

]    -@rgwsf

Not my plan.... on all the time here in RD

@DRCulture

Verizon has two international plans   

1) TravelPass: For $5/day in Canada and Mexico* and $10/day in other countries, you can use your domestic plan's talk, text and data allowances just like you do at home. And you're only charged for days that you use your phone. Learn more by visiting our TravelPass FAQs.

2) $100 International Monthly Plan: Ideal for trips of 10 days or more. Get unlimited data* and texts and 250 minutes for international use; *20 GB of high speed data and unlimited data at 3G speeds thereafter. You can choose to have the allowance expire after 1 month or have the plan renew every month until you remove it from your account.

At $300+ cost per month, we left the Travel Plan in favor of Monthly.   That plan's data speeds slow down considerably after switching to 3G speeds, so we each have a Claro number with 20 GB /mo Data.  When combined with the  verizon monthly plan we never seem to run slow.

Our iPhones can be set to use whichever source has available data.

@Tripp789 thank you.  you confirmed what I was told.  i appreciate the additional information and clarity, especially with Claro you provided.

Verizon just started this new plan in November of this   year.   It covers 210 countries.    Please check their website for more information.

I dont see anything new on the website - still either $10 a day or $100 for a month?

The pl is called Unlimited Ultimate.

Thank you - it looks good