Bringing back personal items and customs

I always leave original boxes at home out of fear I'll get slapped with tariffs on my stuff. Does anyone have experience with this? I've never had any issues before and so am wondering if I'm overly cautious. I'm bringing a set of cooking thermometers and security cameras, nothing like 10 iPhones or anything.

I was pulled into customs because they wanted to look at some electronics I was carrying. I had to set up Sonos speakers and a couple tablets. Tablets were used but they asked me what their approaches were anyways. The Sonos speakers were new however I I did the same thing as you and removed them from the original packaging and then rewrapped them in bubble wrap which through the agent for a loop. He did want to unwrap them and so just passed me through but I feel that if I had been in the original packaging he would have had a discussion with me about duty. So I think we're moving from the original package will definitely help.

04/07/24    I always leave original boxes at home out of fear I'll get slapped with tariffs on my stuff. Does anyone have experience with this? I've never had any issues before and so am wondering if I'm overly cautious. I'm bringing a set of cooking thermometers and security cameras, nothing like 10 iPhones or anything.         -@rnbtg

Like you, I generally throw the original packaging away and bring the goods on my person or in my carry-on.  On top of every other consideration, original packaging is generally bulky, and I begrudge the space in my luggage.  My only exception is the original carton of cellphones, which are compact and useful for stowing accessories.  Those I toss into the bottom of my suitcase, while I carry the phone on me.  Never had a problem up to now, including at the 100% Customs X-ray inspection at Foz do Iguaçu Airport.

@rnbtgi just brought my 3 security cameras in their original boxes... I had the original receipt... walked through airport to the truck zero problems.

I normally keep the original boxes / packaging for reference or return however on my anticipated return to Brazil I have a nice golf bag to hold ALL my U-Tube Video Soft Box Lighting Kit, Webcam and Projector Stand., Camera Field Monitor and 10Ft Adjustable Background Backdrop Support System Stand as well as various backdrops.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg.

I always leave original boxes at home out of fear I'll get slapped with tariffs on my stuff. Does anyone have experience with this? I've never had any issues before and so am wondering if I'm overly cautious. I'm bringing a set of cooking thermometers and security cameras, nothing like 10 iPhones or anything.

-@rnbtg

Personal items are not levied taxes.  Nonetheless, there is a gray line. Save the invoices. Not the boxes .