"Anything Goes" thread

I have created a new thread where you are free to discuss any topics you want! 

Rules that apply: no name calling, no insulting. Feel free to exchange ideas on politics etc! 

I will ask to have this pinned so we don't lose it.

This is where you can discuss the Haiti situation!  Play nice!

Haiti, South Sudan, Gaza, Ukraine, Russia, Trump, climate change. Are we witnessing the decline of civilization as we know it in our life time? Eventually the tank runs dry.....

I guess that is up to all the people who can make a difference

@planner. following

@Steverino7777 I believe what you have listed have more often than not been issues; however, we are now more aware because if access to media.. 

Racism and white supremacy have ALWAYS been an issue in the US, and it was been more covert after the 70's'ish.  However, with the emergence of Donald Drumpf people feel that have been given permission to be more overt about it.  Additionally, people have been given permission to also be mean and cruel to one another.  Cruelty is the point.  Hence, my desire to move to DR.

In December when my partner and I were at the DR Consulate in NYC we were both amazed at how nice everyone was to one another, even though people had been waiting a long time and through delays.  I felt more peace during our five hours of processes there than I have felt or would feel in a US gov't agency.

DR here we come!

@ondami

i have met several expats in the course of doing the car search thing, and some have been exceptionally sweet human beings.  i sometimes ask them what brought them to the DR, and they say that it is a case of push-pull...the mellow aspects of the DR are the pull, while the social dystopia of the North is the push.

@cruffman well said. And succinct.  Thank you.  FYI we planning on seeking your assistance with vehicle purchases when we arrive; if you are willing and able to do so.

@ cruffman I wish to revisit your comments in regards to Haiti's history and also it's history with the DR. I appreciate your comments posted on the previos thread where Planner stepped-in and created this thread for futher discussions.

That being said, I have my understanding of the history of Haiti going back to the time when it was a former colony of France. I also have my understanding of Haiti's history with the DR.

Would you enligten us with further comments to elaborate on what you have previously posted? Your previous thoughts and comments on the Haiti are much appreciated.

@planner

This is excellent! Thank you.

AS this is an ANYTHING GOES thread I need to ask those who have built here in the DR this question: When building did you install bathroom exhaust fans in your bathrooms? In my house design, I wanted to do so as I have not seen bathroom exhaust fans in many banos here but have seen the results of NO fans.  I have seen them in many other warm climate countries where I have lived/visited and of course across North America,  I have a bath with a 10 ft ceilings & a 7 ft wall between the bath and walk-in closet. I have a small window (now) in the bath & want to install a ceiling fan in closet area that will move the air. This seems to be one of those construction issues that locals are not familiar with...thanks for your input - your assistance may help!!

@Nanosaso planner means well by starting a thread which allows for open discussion. knowing her style, i do not see the tread becoming overrun by refugees from other Dominican sites who are intent on warfare. their tenure will be fleeting..hopefull we can exchange ideas in a civilized fashion..

Exactly Cruffman.  We can be civilized in our debates and exchange of ideas!

AS this is an ANYTHING GOES thread I need to ask those who have built here in the DR this question: When building did you install bathroom exhaust fans in your bathrooms? In my house design, I wanted to do so as I have not seen bathroom exhaust fans in many banos here but have seen the results of NO fans.  I have seen them in many other warm climate countries where I have lived/visited and of course across North America,  I have a bath with a 10 ft ceilings & a 7 ft wall between the bath and walk-in closet. I have a small window (now) in the bath & want to install a ceiling fan in closet area that will move the air. This seems to be one of those construction issues that locals are not familiar with...thanks for your input - your assistance may help!!

-@mocaman67

We did not install any bath fans since nearly all rooms in our house, including the bathroom, have windows that are open throughout the day. I cannot recall what discussion we had with our builder about this, if any. But I do know the concept of venting our clothes dryer perplexed them. They did it but I wasn't watching closely enough, so I subsequently had to rip out the ceiling and the vent pipes, which were PVC (a no no) and replace it all with proper stainless. This is not really germane to your question but I guess I am trying to say that if it appears to confuse them watch the work very closely. You will have to plan for piping the vent through the concrete ceiling (or you may have a dropped ceiling like ours) and the wall. That has to be planned for. Other than that purchase your fans on-line and ensure your electrician knows what they are doing.

Fans are a good idea if you do not have proper alternative ventilation. I tell everyone that air flow is absolutely critical when building here. Have ceiling fans everywhere, ventilated closets, etc.

Thanks - exactly. I'll be back to Moca for several weeks before coming back late May for two medical procederes. I'll then be back to oversee personally.

@mocaman67

There are some considerations when moving volume of air versus pressurized air (like a vacuumcleaner): Things that affect efficiency are pipe diameter, pipe length and bends. Try big diameter, short distances and avoid too many bends. PVC builds up static electricity with moving air, which is potentially hazardous when discharged. One workaround is an exposed wire through the system grounded on both sides but avoid PVC when you can.

@Papito NL

What are you talking about?  I'm just a old guy that's built one house and renovated three others (in Canada) plus have watched construction in the Balkans, during a tour of duty there, that is virtually identical  to that in the DR.

@mocaman67

Ducting of an integrated ventilator.

@Nanosaso planner means well by starting a thread which allows for open discussion. knowing her style, i do not see the tread becoming overrun by refugees from other Dominican sites who are intent on warfare. their tenure will be fleeting..hopefull we can exchange ideas in a civilized fashion..

-@cruffman

If I'm not mistaken, planner warned you on your posted comment on the other thread related to Haiti issues for pushing the boundaries. I agree with planner's tread for letting you know to keep it civil.   

As for the rest of your comment, " ...becoming overrun by refugees from other Dominican sites who are intent on warfare". What in the world are you talking about? You totally lost me there.

For future reference, please provide some background as a point of reference to your comments so

that message you are attempting to get across could be understood by all those reading this thread.

When this is accomplished, the doors open wide and welcome those whom "...exchange ideas in a civilized fashion".

As I stated before to Planner. I'm happy she opened up this thread. She has answered all my questions and concerns.

it is never wise to assume anything.

This is the place for the conversation this happen. It's open for the politics and background of it all.

Remember there are various versions of what has happened, various points of view. I do not begin to understand it all so I read and read and learn.

What I do see is the DR doing a lot!  I see it every day.

@planner

Yes. That is very true. The DR has bent over backwards to help it's neighbor alongside other nations and humanitarian organizations.

As the world knows, Haiti is a failed state. It is really a shame that this is the reality. As the gigantic debt imposed on Haiti by France centuries ago. Haiti could never afford it and so it had to borrow funds from French, American and Canadian banks. Borrowing from Paul to pay Peter. And so they never got a fair chance to develope.

As a result, the majority of Haiti's populous has remained in a mind set of long ago as freed slaves with absolutely no means to build up it's freed slave society. They were not allowed to build a nation.

No education, no money, no help, what could you expect, really.

Lucky for those Haitian migrants whom managed to escape their country over the years for a better chance in life elsewhere, Thus receiving the basic necessities like a job, shelter, nutrition, healthcare and education.

Haiti in essence was never permitted to grow and prosper economically from the start as they were not allowed to do any international commercial business trade with other countries. They had an embargo but this was way-back-in-the-day as punishment imposed by France at the time as vengence to the newly freed slaves and this action was supported by the other economic powers who all wanted to send a very loud and clear message to the rest of the countries that still had slave driven economies.

The consequence for overthrowing thier colonial slave masters is the price Haiti is still paying for this day and age So unbelievable as Haiti was doomed from it's slave masters from the very start.

Any thoughts? Please share.   

Correction - I meant to say toward the very end is that Haiti was doomed from it's former slave master France from the start.

And what about the corruption and greed of it's politicians?  The story isn't that simple.

Haiti, South Sudan, Gaza, Ukraine, Russia, Trump, climate change. Are we witnessing the decline of civilization as we know it in our life time? Eventually the tank runs dry.....        -@Steverino7777

Climate change is a bit obvious. Even the Saudis know oil is a massive problem and will die as a failed part of human history in far too short a time to ignore. (Google Saudi vision 2030)

Haiti is a bit obvious as well. It's the result of a number of historical factors, but mostly massively corrupt and generally inept government sover the years.

Trump is a result of stupidity - pretty much like Hitler - You can't cure stupidity, so hope or praying to your preferred dietary is all you have.

Gaza was predictable, but perhaps not quite on the scale we have seen over the last months.

It's a result of knowing how perfect you are, but not even considering you might be a mass murdering pillock of the worst sort (Both sides are guilty of the same crap). As always, it's normal people who are far more interested in getting their kids to school over killing anyone who suffer the most.

China against US aggression is also a problem.

The Ukraine/Russia thing is a lot deeper than the news tells us. We have to look at the history of the CIA pushed Ukrainian revolution, how the US installed a non-democratic government to remove the pro-Russian leaders, and what that meant to Russia.

Ukraine provided to stop a pincer movement on Moscow, it allows for a further NATO expansion to the East that allows exactly that.

Look at the following timelines:

• NATO expansion east
  • US shale gas production and sales into Europe
  • The Ukrainian revolution

Put those together on a spreadsheet, and you get an idea of what is really happening in that region.

While this thread is anything goes let's at least stay focused on DR and how this directly affects us.

While this thread is anything goes let's at least stay focused on DR and how this directly affects us.

-@planner

I see you haven't been reading the news.

China is pushing its belt and road projects into the DR, and the US is pushing back.

Whilst Abinader is more pro-US, his predecessor was much closer to China than the US liked.

You had Chinese vaccines, Chinese military vehicles, and even Chinese training for your military.

Watch out for Rosa Ng - You may have to Google her.

Also, you might like to look at DR'S 5G network.

At least this comment is about the DR.

I am very aware of the Chinese influence and affect  here.  Don't assume you know what I do or do not read Fred!

My earlier post was a reply to #2

My earlier post was a reply to #2

-@Fred

Again we are going to try to keep this  DR related.

@planner Yes indeed. Corrupt politicians only looking to enrich themselves, their families and their corrupt associates and business partners. However, this evil is common place in almost all governments across the globe on all levels of government.

Lets consider the following perspective in regards to Haiti's history. Just looking back at their history for a moment and the irony of it all. The whole notion of the Haitian slaves to revolt and overthrow of the French slave masters was because they were inspired by the very French Revolution as the news arrived in the Haitian colony.

Fast forward through all of Haitian generations from past to present, they never experienced progress and so throughout all their history, their rulers, dictators, presidents, etc...they only ruled from what they knew. Cruelty and corruption. They never got anywhere. it has been over two centuries and they have nothing to show for it!

A brief general summary of Haiti and the DR. ommiting other details for brevity sake.

Hispaniola was discovered by C. Columbus for the Spanish crown in 1492. Santo Domingo - first establisment in the ""new world" by Europeans. A few years down the line Spain and France at war. Hispaniola was ruled by both Spain and France as a colony.

Fast forward to slave overthrow of France from the island colony. France imposed the debt for the so called war reparations. Haiti agreed to pay or else they would be destroyed from the canons of French navy. Haiti requested France hand over the eastern side as well in the agreemnet but France denied them ans stated the eastern side of the island belongs to Spain.

Haiti signed the agreement but still had their eye on the eastern side of the island and was awaiting for the dust to settle to the move forward with plans to gain full control of the natural resourses of the other side of island in order to help payoff it's debt to France.

Haiti carried out it's plan and took over the whole island. For 22 years, Haitians occupied and ruled the island.

The inhabitants of the eastern side of the island whom only spoke spanish were opressed by the cruel Haitian french and creole speaking rulers. They were forbibben to speak spanish and were also not allowed to practice their Roman Catholic faith. They were also heavily taxed.

The Haitians hated whites as they were shown much cruelty by the hands of their former slave masters.

The Haitians get rid of the French and the Dominicans get rid of the Haitians. It's a formula repeated over and over as a human condition of sorts. As a consequence the formula proves itself to be true. When any sector of society is opresed the natural recourse is of course to fight back and seek justice as history has taught us to be a constant theme around the world throughout the ages.

Haiti attacked the eastern part of the island, on three different occasions. Haiti even ruled and occupied the entire isl;and of Hispaniola for 22 years. Long story short, eastern side of Hispaniola sick and tired of the bad treatment is was recieving from Haitian rulers.

It got it's independence from Haiti and eventually got it's name of the DR. Though Haiti invaded the DR 3 times in history, the DR never invaded Haiti. They only drove them out and back to Haiti and then returned back to DR territory. Please note, I omitted plenty history details of course to summarize.

Any thoughts or comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Oh, one more comment I find necessary mention. In my humble opinion, just my opinion. we can agree to disagree. However, I believe Haiti's situation is a result of evil in this world. Plain and simple. I can't imagine cutting it any other way.

Thankfully, throughout history, there have been men and women of good will whom stepped-up to the plate and done the work to make things right and just. These icons have shown we can do good and succeed when we fight the good fight for the greater good of all.

Does racism exist in DR?  I ask as I have read some articles that mention there is; however, I would like to hear from people on the ground. 

If this is too touchy of a topic, I understand.

Gracias.

@ planner

Does ondami question seem  "...too touchy a topic..." as stated in the original post ?? 

Anything goes on this thread as long as it stays respectful.

Yes racism exists here.  Lots of it is systemic.  And lots of it is in your face, if you are looking!

Ask a Dominican if they are black!

Confuse a Dominican for being Haitian!  See what happens.

@ondami As one Dominican explained it to me, it's more ”colorism” than race. There is an ingrained pecking order based on skin color. Because there are many mixed-race Dominicans, it's a spectrum rather than being just black and white.

Wow colorism.  Nice word for racism! Sorry I think we should call it what it is!

Here is something to do: get a print newspaper here or look at one online. Go from page to page and look at the photos and ads.  Tell me how many people of color you see that are not in sports stories or crime stories.  I have done this with many many people.  People of color represent something like 90% of the population.  That is not what you see in the publications!

Colonialism and racism are commonly friends, but they are not the same thing.

Mauritius was colonised, but it didn't see any racism at all.

It is unwise to corrupt words for political reasons as, once you start, limits of reasonable behaviour tend to get smashed.

Hate is normally a bad idea regardless of the target group (excluding maths teachers, obviously).

I have no idea about Mauritius but I agree with the rest, 100%

@Fred well said.

@planner way to not let folks water racism down.  I figured there was some racism against those with darker skin; much like the rest of the world unfortunately.

@planner way to not let folks water racism down.  I figured there was some racism against those with darker skin; much like the rest of the world unfortunately.

-@ondami

Not just light against dark, but also dark against light.

Zimbabwe is a prime example, but they have some level of excuse when you consider how white colonionalist treated them.

Indonesia sees anti-Chinese racist stupidity, and Japan sees anti-anything not Japanese xenophobia.

The US seems obsessed with skin colour (all sides).

The problem with racism is it groups rather than looks at people as individuals, but the biggest problem with the anti-racist argument is calling everyone a racist that objects to anything the mob supports.