Just got back to Mainland from 2 weeks

On la Isla.

What a trip! Met more interesting people this time than ever. Some were, ahem, a little strange.

Many were not Borinquenos, however. So, for me that's a good sign. LOL

Observations this trip:

-Land price is to the Moon! $175k for 3 ropes. $75k for a buildable lot in a subdivision. This all near   00733 zip.

-For every 100 potholes, there are 50 speed bumps. Huh? Same asphalt, no? Probably less to fill.

-Real Estate people will NOT call you back. Especially if you do not speak Spanish. It took me the better part of the first week to get one to send me some listings I asked about via EM.

-Even after sending a Mort Broker my particulars, what I was trying to do, how much I wanted to spend and proof of funds, I still have not heard back.

-Do Not use U-Save Car Rental. They are beyond shady. Tell your visitors to check elsewhere.

-Island wide cell service outage hit the first week, so I had to go to Ft. Buchanan to get a signal for contacts back home. Which, I didn't mind a bit. Food prices at the commissary were great. So much to choose from.

-Speaking of food. If you get near Luquillo, you must eat at Earnestina's Seafood Restaurant.

Best mahi-mahi de ajo and sweet potato fries, salad and butterfly shrimp you will eat. Price is much less than what others of inferior quality charge.

I cut this off here, now. I'm hungry all of a sudden.

Coming back down this summer to continue search for triplex.

I don't know anything about Ponce, but there are cheaper land prices elsewhere. You can find 10k an acre or less.

I have no problem with real estate agents if I text them first through Whatsapp or regular text. I only contact the listing agents for particular listings since buyer's agents aren't common here.

Buena suerte

Maria

@DocRob

Hi! we are heading back to VA tomorrow!

for the mrtg co, use Pentagon Fed CU. wonderful service, had the mortgage letter in less than a day after we submitted application.

use Realtor.com for your initial search. that will get you a english speaking realtor. even then, basic english is best. make sure you use a english speaking lawyer too.

this is the path we took, worked well. DM if you want names and numbers of the people we used.

good luck!!

Buying property/ home here is a nightmare.  We closed in November.  Never ever again.  If the real estate agent didn't make us put down a deposit,  which you lose if you back out.  I wouldn't have gone through with this.  Every nightmare from the realtor, the banks and closing.   If you are a veteran good luck. As the banks make you pay 9 months in advance for real estate tax / which veterans get a break or zero taxes ( zero taxes is what we are supposed to have)   they still haven't given us this money back and taxes are escrow by the bank and they are still making us pay taxes monthly.    It's a big rip off here. Smh  it's disgusting.    Don't make the mistake Buying here.  The cost is through the roof for what you get.  We lived on the island for 7 years, traveled abroad for 2 plus and then came back because my husband needs healthcare from the va.     If you think you will save money by buying property and building.  Don't even think about it.  Nightmare after nightmare for everyone who has done this.   80% of contractor take your money and run.  Seriously. 

Before I forget to mention an appraiser comes in to so call do his job, then he list what's wrong and if you are getting a va loan the work has to be done before the va will approve the loan.   The owners we told what was wrong and they said they would fix it.

Well when the appraiser came back he approved it but really the stuff wasnt done correctly and should have never been approved.   We .ived in and less then 2 weeks it rained and we had water coming through the cement roof.  These inspections or appraisers get back and they dont do their job.

they dont go on the roof and look.  So how can that be acceptable?    We basic got screwed all the way around.   Now we are stuck with a huge payment monthly.  But we need a home base when we need medical care.  However the medical care is another topic and you really dont want to deal with that else you go to the va.  Its sad when the va has better care then you get elsewhere on the island

Sorry I dont sugar coat anything.     We lived here long enough to know what real prices should be here.  We are doing our year here since the house was bought and then we are leaving again.   No way I am staying here.  We will rent out the bottom floor and then have someone we know stay in the top unit. 

@raynerro335

Yes on PF, I joined when at the Ft. during the outage.

Figured it couldn't hurt to establish a relationship right off the bat.

Will be funneling over some funds as I begin closing some mainland (local) bank branch accounts.

Glad to hear it went smoothly, although after numerous closings, it's always a crap shoot as to what might develop unforseen. So, yes, I would like it if you would pm me your contacts there and I'll start getting some education on PR ways and means.

If you read Sandra's reply below yours, it sounds like a nightmare scenario. I am at  100%, so I will be looking at the property tax exemption very thoroughly. I have it here on my domicile as Homestead exemption, but must be renewed every year.

Having to take extra measures to obtain a Veteran benefit when for the most part it should be a matter of filing the proper forms (at least Federally).

I will have to quiz legal eagles on how to circumvent this. One thing I detest about mortgages is the escrow of taxes and insurance, if I can take measures to eliminate that one part of the equation, I will. Could be a couple of thousand $ a year saved.

@sandrarduncan

Sandra, I was in the middle of a long reply to you when the power company decided to do a line check (damn smart meters) and everything rebooted.

So, I lost all the text.

Anyway, sorry about the horrible experiences you guys have been facing. Is there not an Ombudsman, Inspector /General, or at the very least a Congressional Rep you can file a grievance through?

I am a firm believer in appealing to a higher authority to straighten out problems.

Keep going with it, even when it seems exhausting. It took me over 50 years of pursuing my claim for service connected and I still have an appeal hearing somewhere in the future over back pay.

Don't quit, but I get the wanting to leave after all you've been smacked with.