West vs. East of Puerto Rico

What are the main differences between the East Coast and the West Coast of Puerto Rico?

Lifestyle, climate, culture, business, tourists, roads, local people, expats, cost of living, access to things, education options, job opportunity, nature, flooding zones, municipalities, crime rates, pace of life, food ... anything.

IMO:   west coast, less populated, less crime, less traffic, relaxed.

East coast, greener & wetter, convenient to SJ & airport, major shopping, traffic jams, crime, some upscale areas.

Best way to determine what you like - rent a car and spend some time exploring.

Thanks for your fast reply. I'm looking for a place to settle down; therefore, I'm trying to understand better the differences between both coasts. Getting a car is in plans.

Don't forget the north and south coasts.  There are lovely spots all over this beautiful island that are not on the usual vacationers' radar.

East Coast: More and better shopping options, Tons of hotels and resorts, close to the ferry that takes you to Culebra and Vieques, close to San Juan airport, close to cruise ports, lots of tourists, wide variety of restaurants and cuisines, a lot of nightlife, more crime, more sketchy areas, more traffic, buildings and houses are very close together in most places, dirtier in some areas, night clubs, a lot of noise at night especially on the weekends in some areas, usually gets hit the worst by hurricanes, Costco, El Yunque, more jobs.

West Coast: More laid back, no nightclubs, plenty of bars and beach bars especially in Rincon, not a lot of hotels, quiet, no Costco, water falls in San Sebastian, most buildings and houses are spaced out, less jobs, not as many tourists unless you are in Rincon, most restaurants are scattered around unlike the east coast where you will find blocks filled with different restaurants, very peaceful, more of an island feel, cleaner, less traffic,    no cruise ports, more of a small town vibe, less people, no public transportation, you will need a car to get to most places, I personally love the West Coast and I plan of moving there.

I highly suggest you rent an AirBnb in several different parts of Puerto Rico, before making your decision.  It also takes around 2 1/2 hours to drive from coast to coast. There are things that I like about the east coast, but I figure I can take the drive, rent a room and stay there once in a while.

You aren't going to find a better concise comparison then above, nail it w/ little room for banter.

Nicole, it sounds like you're writing about the Metro area only?
There's a lot more in the east. Towns like Caguas, Humacao, Fajardo, Cayey and then the smaller ones like San Lorenzo, Las Piedras, Juncos, Gayama, Patillas, Arroyo..
Especially when you get away from the coast you will find nice and quiet areas, not a lot of tourists. That's my area and I love it - been here for 16 years and not planning to ever move again. :D

And then there's that, jajajaja.

Pretty sure now the OP got the advantage of two free trips in a capsule.

I lived in Guayayma & Arroyo, for 6 years;  I, by far, prefer the west coast.

There are 78 towns each with their own flavor for life. It all depends what will make you happy and the size of your budget.

I sugest you make a list of what is important to you and rank it, look at areas that meet most of those things that are important to you.

Sounds like you never been in Puerto Rico, you should take several trips to vist and see different areas each time. Spend 3 days or more in each area, use airbnb in each area for the duration.

Dont rush

Thanks for such helful information. I've visited PR, but nothing is more insightful than feedbacks and opinions of people who have been living in the county for some time or know people in the country. Thanks everyone again!

One major difference also is the weather ! Can you say HURRICANES ! A lot of times the West coast doesn't get as many. There are fantastic places to live, all over this beautiful island. That it is your choice to make ! Anywhere is great as long as your there on the island! Split the Island in two and you will find the East side will have more of everything. That is also where English is widely spoken, and there are more people on this side. It is more of a big city type of living. West side is an easier and laidback way of living and not as much action as the other. It's like living in the country. Spanish is the dominate language on this side and not as many people. We preferred the West side (we live in the country) and call Guanica are second home !

After today, I will be able to tell you a Puerto Rican tale called East Side Story, starring Maria. Hope we don't get a sharknado.

frogrock wrote:

After today, I will be able to tell you a Puerto Rican tale called East Side Story, starring Maria. Hope we don't get a sharknado.

LOL, one of my favorite stories!!!

Sending you love ❤️ and prays 🙏

@frogrock its North for me but i love to visit the west coast as well. Less traffic and beaches are not crowded.  Too crazy busy on the east coast.  i come to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle of Miami.