Why are people drawn to move to the DR?

Everyone has their own personal reasons. I'm opening this thread because I see the expat community has plenty to say on all kind of topics. Most basically, I see the two main reasons people are drawn to the DR is for it's a beautiful lush country and the warm welcoming culture of it's people.

Aside from many of it's lacking qualities many expats are accustomed to, yet many still make the move for permanent residency. Every place has it's pro and cons. Please share what you really enjoy. We all have our preferences. Also, aside from lacking electrical grid infrastructure, I understand potable water and trash pick-up is also problem with exemption of gated communities.  We may all benefit from others experiences as this forum is filled with so many helpful tips, suggestions, and recommendations. I really have come to enjoy this forum. hopefully make friends and professional acquaintances along the way. These are the following reasons I believe expats migrate to the DR. If you have other reasons and or related comments, please share.

1. I see many move due to high cost of living elsewhere.
  2. Their former place of residence is spiraling out of control with gun violence
  3. Want to live in a tropical place for the agreeable weather
  4. Attractive and friendly people everywhere
  5. Happy atmosphere
  6. Many aquatic activities available
  7. World renown Golf courses
  8. Agreeable place to retire

My husband and I moved here because we were ready to retire but were too young to qualify for Medicare or a company-provided "retirement insurance plan". Healthcare costs have become outrageous in the US and we would have been spending about $2500/month on medical insurance alone. Here in DR, we have a great plan for less than $60 each!

The biggest drawback for me has been being away from family. i have four elderly parents so i try to make two trips a year to visit them, as well as seeing my son and my siblings.

Wow! That is truly fantastic! What is the insurance name and where can I apply? 1f600.svg

I can only imagine how being away from loved ones, especially our parents may feel like. At least you try your best by visiting. I'm sure they appreciate every time you visit. Cheers! For showing your love for your family.

Thanks for sharing.

Oh! How could I forget, in addition to my list of why people move to the DR, another obvious reason is for the beautiful beaches and resorts. 

I moved here for a variety of reasons. I needed a change.  This is certainly that.  I  was drawn to the culture of music and dancing. And I was drawn to the opportunities in business.

@ planner I can definitely relate. There comes a time in our lives where a change is all we need to reset and refresh ourselves. Yes! The culture of music and dancing is the magic that reflects the warm welcoming spirit of the people living in such an island surrounded by natures amazing beauty. Thank you for sharing.

I had originally planed to retire to Sri Lanka, but I became a widower when my Sri Lankan born and then naturalized  US citizen wife died years ago.  My brother died of early onset Alzheimers and I was about to be phased out of an excellent job  in the US. Three things that caused me to evaluate my next steps.  I took a vacation to the DR to windsurf, met my future wife,  bought a house and sold what I had in my home country and arrived in 2003.

Weather, water sports and wife were the main reasons... We have been married 20 years this month. 

Being far less expensive than California was another, although the weather in California is far better with no biting insects if you can put up with the costs and the liberal nut jobs there.

Zero to do with gun violence back home, but my home country is certainly increasing it's de-evolution under the current regime.

Political  talk is NOT permitted on the forums.   In the anything goes  thread  you can discuss local politics.

The DR is very self-sufficient, so from a relocation perspective; the stability draws me back.

The clean living of organic foods grown in volcanic soil, a traditional and historically rich culture, that feeling I once knew of belonging to a real community is a magnet; I even miss driving in the organized chaos and avoiding loose cattle in the roads. I miss the people, the beauty, the smell of carbon(wood charcoal)being made, fresh bakeries, and an ice cold Presidente to accompany my street vendor dinners!

@Sunbiz1

el presidente ice cold is the best beer I have ever tasted. SO good!

@windeguy

I enjoyed reading your post. In some way it allows a connection with our fellow members because sharing experiences, perspectives, opinions, journey, etc..is just gratifying to learn and appreciate.

Thanks so much for sharing.   

@Sunbiz1

Wonderfully put! I've been visiting the DR for decades and made friends with locals through out my visits. I think I share your views with the exception that I never drove a vehicle their but do know what you mean about the "organized chaos" in the driving culture of the DR as a passenger.

Thank you for enriching my feelings about my choice to move to the DR.

@brandonleverett

As Sunbiz1 mentioned. Yes indeed! Presidente taste so good especially when served "vestida de novia"!!!

Just in case anyone is wondering - Presidente bottle of beer served "vestida de novia" means served ice cold. The name stems from the white frost on the bottle when it comes from a freezer and it resembles a bride dressed in white hence the name.  So if you want your Presidente ice cold you simply ask for it "vestida de novia".

We haven't made the plunge yet, still have a few years to go to retirement, but we do love the island and the cost of living is a big plus for us for retirement. We would become snowbirds and still return home for the summer (we own a permanent seasonal camp which would be our second home). The more I read the more I love the idea.