Overstay & opening a bank account

Hola. I have been here past 30 days. Am I able to pay my overstay fee at the airport and then qualify to open a bank account?  Or does the bank look at the entry stamp in your passport. In years past, I return to the USA for 2 weeks per year and just pay the fee. However I do not have plans to leave the DR anytime In the near future

No you can't. You have to actually leave and come back. Consider the ferry to Puerto Rico!

Trying to open a bank account. I thought I had all necessary papers/documents. I showed passport, bank statements for business and personal, business registration. I am from Canada and have my own business. They are asking for employment certificate of the company. What exactly do they need? Any advice?

@annamayking19

Take a Spanish speaking friend with you to the bank. The bank can explain to them and your friend to you. Perhaps they mean your incorporation documents?

Trying to open a bank account. I thought I had all necessary papers/documents. I showed passport, bank statements for business and personal, business registration. I am from Canada and have my own business. They are asking for employment certificate of the company. What exactly do they need? Any advice?

-@annamayking19

I have an example of a Dominican employment certificate. This one is written and signed by the employers company (lawyer) on company paper. It is adressed to the bank. It states the employee (name/cedula/passport) works for that company (employee function/location/date of start employment),  has an XXXX monthly salary and wants to open an account at the choosen bank. It has the contact information of the company and the certificate is stamped. The signing person had Lic. ( Licenciado) added to his name which usually means some lawyer degree and therefore it is a legalized document.

I think they basically want to know: a- That and where you are employed b- Your monthly salary c- That the statement is made official/legalized

Thank you. However what happens if I own the business. I work for myself.

@annamayking19

Yes I read that. So you have to recommend yourself!

I do not know exactly what they expect you to show when when you are self-employed and have a variable income, maybe others know. I guess the bank just wants to see a fixed monthly income to fill in and the other information to tick the boxes that are needed for approval..

How silly it may look, if these are the requirements I would just give them the facts they want. I am curious how this works out, the laws and their execution are often different. And they may want every document translated to spanish. My wife (dominican with cedula working abroad) was denied recently because she had foreign bankbalance papers and the bank wanted a translation. Translation of what? Maybe "credit" and "debit", the rest is dates, names and numbers...

So odd. We have a contact helping us try to sort this out. I will keep you posted

What you can do is write yourself a letter on company letterhead with the company seal and sign it as the General Manager. That should do the trick.  Take your passport and cedula

What is a cedula

Without that you are not legally allowed to work in your own business. A letter as an employee then is invalid

You can open corporate bank accounts if in fact you have a corporation

@annamayking19

You should still have some sort of articles of SubS, incorporation, or non for profit? Or is your business a side gig that you have a 1099 for?

No gave them the articles of Incorporation and they did not accept it.

Incorp here or elsewhere? You need all your corp docs naming and empowering you to act on behalf of the company. Which bank are you trying?

It's actually my partner who is trying. It is his business. He is trying at Santa Cruz. I am a teacher so when I arrive I shouldn't have any issues with my documentation. He owns a trucking business here in Canada.

@annamayking19  As strange as it sounds, the bank just needs a letter so they can tick the box saying that requirement has been fulfilled.  It really doesn't matter what it says.  We owned our own company as well, but were in the midst of selling it before moving here.  We typed up a letter on company letterhead stating we were employees (still), earning $$$ monthly, and signed it.  It's truly just that easy.  There is never any followup.

Santa Cruz isn't great on the business side but they are on personal.  If it's not a DR company this won't work.

Tell him to try banreservas they are way better with corporations.