Real Estate Commission rate

Quick question, in the north coast (Sosua/Cabarete) what fee or % is typically charged to the seller of a villa etc.?

Up to 10%.  Some, like Century21 in Sosua, are very firm on 10% (they are well respected, so I guess they think they deserve it?), while others vary from 6-10%.  When selling, our agent with Coral Bay ReMax offered 6%, and if she brought a buyer, she would bring it down to 5%, which is what happened.  Great experience with her, and would recommend her in a heartbeat.  Some agents only work "exclusive", meaning they don't cooperate with other agents, and do not share commissions.  Other agents are not so rigid, and will work with most others and share the commission.

Reputation means everything, so ask around and don't sign any agreements until you are comfortable with everything.

Mucho gracias Uncle Buck!

Reputation means everything, so ask around and don't sign any agreements until you are comfortable with everything.
-@UncleBuck

Most important part.

Note most agreements etc are in Spanish.  Don't sign until you verify what they say.  Would not be the first time a translation wasn't well done or complete.  Don't put all your trust in anyone, verify!

Do you really need an agent or is it possible to sell without one?

You do not need an agent if you are capable of doing this yourself.  Do you know the market,  social media, legal issues, speak spanish fluently????? 

and thats just touching the surface!

Do NOT assume that because you have a contract to sign from a lawyer or a Builder or a Developer etc.  that it is legal.  Be sure you understand every detail.  If they refer to another document, ask for the document and read it and understand it carefully ie. condo regulations.  Note: if you agree and sign a document containing illegal verbiage it can be voided later but this could take you years in court to do so.  Best is to be sure from the start and save yourself a pile of time and money.  There are many criminals in this country poised to take advantage of outsiders (and locals) but mostly those that do not know the system or the language.

Tread softly.

Lots of good information to think about. Thanks.

@UncleBuck

Hello,

Can you tell me who the real estate agent is at Remax you're recommending? I'm actively looking for one to list my villa in Sosua, I'm in Connecticut, (USA).

Thank you,

BB

@bbakes  PM sent.

Feel free to recommend them here! 

Appreciate your taking time to  share this info!

Hi All,

I am a realtor here in the US and looking to purchase property in Punta Cana. Does anyone know if brokers or realtors or builders would pay me a commission fee? Thats the way we do it here, wondering if they do as well. Thank you!

They will pay pretty much anyone! Negotiate it!

@planner thank you for your quick response! I have read that online as well, but so far it seems the builders and agents I have spoke to are very passive in regards to paying commissions. I will be sure to get it in writing if/when I do find someone willing to do a co-op fee. Thanks again!

You are very welcome

Yes you can negotiate a commission agreement with them. Your lawyer down here will include it in any letter of intent you sign with them. Standard commissions here are 5%.