If I bring a PC on an airplane, will I still be charged customs taxes?

Trying to figure a way around paying 12% through customs. Anyone have any other ideas?

I'm sure there is info on this topic within this site. Firstly is it brand new, you have the receipt and it's for your personal use so not in the box but in your laptop/carry on baggage? I have travelled many countries over the years and at least 20+ times in and out of PH always with my mac, iPhone, battery bank and gadgets and never a problem.
If it is by chance for sale and it is in the unopened box?

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

It's a brand new alienware desktop. I paid $4500 for it. I'm just not trying to pay customs any extra lol

Simply claim it on your customs form and, IF asked, simply reply it is for personal use.

Noice, high end, the better half is jealous with his MSI laptop. Dream on I tell him.
I, 100% understand but a few things to consider/think about.

You obviously have the dated receipts of this purchase, how long ago did you purchase and when do you think (haha) you will be able to arrive in the Philippines? Relative.

Have you used this desktop PC since you purchased or is it an " in box unopened item? "
If so unpack it and make it look like you put it back into the original packaging for travel. Wrap it up in a plastic bag and a couple of towels in your suitcase without the box.

If it looks like a sellable item you may not only have to worry about VAT but also import duties. Only my experience but my 20 plus times coming here to PH I have never been stopped or questioned let alone a bag search. Only delayed by immi never having any change for in airport visa extensions.

The better half just said that it is a PC and as long as you have the receipt it shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck and let us know how you fare once landed.

Cheers, Steve.

Arcadieus wrote:

Trying to figure a way around paying 12% through customs. Anyone have any other ideas?

Not only that    :)  Phils have very high custom fees at some things theyu count as "luxury". 

Arcadieus wrote:

It's a brand new alienware desktop. I paid $4500 for it. I'm just not trying to pay customs any extra lol

If you "export" it then you can get VAT BACK in the country it got sold in   :) 

-  -

BUT if you officialy move to Phils you can legaly bring private items VAT and custom fee FREE if you fullfil the demanmds and follow the procedure.  I believe its max 7000 usd items worth for free.

coach53 wrote:
Arcadieus wrote:

Not only that    :)  Phils have very high custom fees at some things theyu count as "luxury".

That was already mentioned. 

Arcadieus wrote:

The paperwork to achieve that for 1 PC is not worth considering.

-  -
BUT if you officialy move to Phils you can legaly bring private items VAT and custom fee FREE if you fullfil the demanmds and follow the procedure.  I believe its max 7000 usd items worth for free.

Officially move to the Philippines? What does that entail and how does one secure? I'm interested.
Curious, what demands and procedures need to be accomplished to secure VAT and customs excise exemptions to the value of US 7K?

Given the OP's current and previous posts he/she will be coming in as a tourist, maybe I'm wrong.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

coach53 wrote:
Arcadieus wrote:

Arcadieus wrote:

-  -

coach53 wrote:
Arcadieus wrote:

Arcadieus wrote:

-  -

Sorry for the multiple posts, internet has been bad lately.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:

used .

I dont know now but before Dutere fired the highest boss over the Custom., custom handlers counted NEW price at very old things . And when the handler wanted a thing he put a ridicilous high value so the pwner give up and leave te item,...

And the advice on officially moving to the Philippines? post # 7.

Sorry coach but where did I mention the word used? post # 11.

Cheers, Steve.

A lot of chatter about this.

My experience I hand carried my laptop in a cheap laptop case. I also had a carry on that fitted under the seat, I also had two 50 lb suitcases.

I went through the nothing to declare line and nothing was checked

Pretty sure the customs fees, duty, and import fees exceed the 12% VAT by far, but follow the advice above about it not looking brand new and being for personal use and you should be fine.

I would never recommend anybody planning on moving here before living here for quite awhile first.

bigpearl wrote:

Sorry coach but where did I mention the word used? post # 11..

In post 5. 
I "borrowed" it from one of your sentenses to get relation to used things   :)

I'm actually not coming as a tourist now. My fiancée and I are being married online July 3rd. I will then apply for the spousal visa *which is possible to do this way.*

As was said before, carry it in a laptop case/bag and walk straight through.  Just look at the thousands of business people who come through the Philippines (or any other country), they would not be paying customs.
And there is always the possibility of "unofficial" fees.

Arcadieus wrote:

I'm actually not coming as a tourist now. My fiancée and I are being married online July 3rd. I will then apply for the spousal visa *which is possible to do this way.*

To the best of my knowledge currently you can only apply for a 13A/G visa in the Philippines. You would have to come with your bride and avail of a a balikbayan visa.

pilotdrh wrote:
Arcadieus wrote:

To the best of my knowledge currently you can only apply for a 13A/G visa in the Philippines. You would have to come with your bride and avail of a a balikbayan visa.

The proper name of 13A is 13A-"Nightmare". Definition of 13A-Nightmare: Red tape, delays, fees and numerous trips to government offices if you apply in Manila.

I have taken laptops many times. Nobody ever asks about it. I even brought 2 on one trip. If they said anything, I would have told them that one was for personal use and the other was for work.

Question no 5 on customs dec form includes electronic goods but appears to aim at the commercial side.
The OP is wanting to bring in a gaming desk top and not a laptop and if new in a box could come under scrutiny.

I would ask the OP what is involved in applying for the spousal visa, cost, time to accomplish, can you apply from O/S for this type of visa or just arrive with an online marriage certificate and appropriate paperwork, Balakbayan privileges? How does this type of visa affect your desktop import?
The Hotel and Quarantine requirements, swab tests, food and associated needs, the list goes on for costs for 10 or 14 days locked up.

While I'm not sure where you wife to be is at the moment, to avail Balakbayan privileges the husband and wife need to enter the Philippines together.

Philippines and recognition of virtual weddings?

The family code clearly states all parties (including witnesses) should be physically present in the same location.
Some members of government are trying to have the laws changed given C-19 but to date from what I have read? Nada.

https://tinyurl.com/3p5yvea2https://tinyurl.com/kw3fkvfj

If you know info that I and others don't please fill us in as this is why we are here.

Good luck and hope you make it to the Philippines soon.

Cheers, Steve.

There is a bill being considered in the Philippines were a virtual wedding could be performed, but both parties must be in the same location, and all requirements such as senomar, capacity to marry are obtained, the man and wife one place the preacher in another and the marriage performed on line, I did see in California there are online marriage advertised, no Matter what country your in, and a marriage license would be issued, I have no idea how this would be taken in the Philippines as far as a 13A is concerned

You are not charged a dime.. Either check in or hand carry... You ain't charged no dime.. No one will ask you for nothing.. If anyone does (never seen)... Shout.. Yes  shout...NOOO CORRUPT IKAW...

Okieboy wrote:

There is a bill being considered in the Philippines were a virtual wedding could be performed, but both parties must be in the same location, and all requirements such as senomar, capacity to marry are obtained, the man and wife one place the preacher in another and the marriage performed on line, I did see in California there are online marriage advertised, no Matter what country your in, and a marriage license would be issued, I have no idea how this would be taken in the Philippines as far as a 13A is concerned

How about being married on the Jerry Springer show by Reverend Shnorr?

Anyone anywhere in the world can get married online where each party (husband, wife and officiant) are all located in different places at Utah county dot gov

johncroy wrote:

Anyone anywhere in the world can get married online where each party (husband, wife and officiant) are all located in different places at Utah county dot gov

Yes used successfully by an American to let into the Philippines to meet his new wife for the first time  :)  (after quarantine in Cebu.)

This post seems to have created an awful lot of hot air over something that is very unlikely to happen.

Like bigpearl I have visited the country on countless occasions for business and pleasure and never been stopped. If I ever was then I would just state I am in the country on business and the laptop is for business or personal use. As long as it is out of the box there really is no problem. You should always carry a laptop in a proper laptop bag anyway when travelling for obvious reasons. Computer repair shops make more money repairing laptops than just about any other IT device.

A word of advice when dealing with officialdom in the Philippines. Many seasoned expats in the country will know this already.
If stopped always put on your best smile and I mean a BIG smile - Filipinos love it and throw in a few common courtesy words like Magandang Umaga and Kamusta Ka and many potential barriers will just dissipate.

You have to be aware that is you are traveling to the EU and the laptop is looking still brand new then customs can ask you for the receipt at all times.
Furthermore, this also could happen if the laptop or pc is not new. The regulations in the EU are much more restricted.
This only will happen if they have a suspicion that a laptop or pc is new

"The regulations in the EU are much more restricted."

An emphatic endorsement of why UK PLC has left the EU :D

Hey all, sorry for the delayed update/replies. I'm coming in on a 9A visa *secured it a few weeks ago and flying on 12/3!*. My wife and I plan on applying for a 13A immediately though. So yes I'm coming in as a "tourist" bit not really.

My wife and I were married online *we lived together before in Romania* San Fran consulate recognized the marriage, since it had an apostilled license.

@Enzyte Bob

The same for me. My carry-on items were never in question for declaration or tax.

Hey all, sorry for the delayed update/replies. I'm coming in on a 9A visa *secured it a few weeks ago and flying on 12/3!*. My wife and I plan on applying for a 13A immediately though. So yes I'm coming in as a "tourist" bit not really.

-@Arcadieus

Not sure about this but maybe someone can answer; Is it OK to come in a 29 day 9A and apply for 13A knowing that it will take much longer than 29 days to secure the visa, and BI will never approve a 13A unless current visa is up to date? To do that you must assume extensions will be both secured and approved in the middle of the application pricess. Does BI accept that? Just an honest question. When we applied for SRRV we were here on 1 year Balikbayan waiver but SRRV also does have some sort of special visa longer than 29 days but only for the purpose is securing an SRRV.

I traveled since 1996 in many country in asia with laptop ,pc and more ..you will never pay taxe even if checked..i came this year again in philippine with new pc for working was checked luggage and no problem...how do business people when they travel...they pay taxe everytime.....hi hi...pc in asia is usual item now, like your shoes....

I traveled since 1996 in many country in asia with laptop ,pc and more ..you will never pay taxe even if checked..i came this year again in philippine with new pc for working was checked luggage and no problem...how do business people when they travel...they pay taxe everytime.....hi hi...pc in asia is usual item now, like your shoes....

-@xavierasia

Agree... personal effects are never taxed except for some countries in Europe who still think PC's are luxury items. Wonder how they view smartphones you take on your flight. Tax them too? What about the socks I am wearing?

The only time have been charged was when bringing a brand new boxed unit in. Not new goods, demonstratably so, seem not to be charged duty except in special specific cases.

@Arcadieus last time I came back from USA I had a new laptop I didn't declare, when I came to customs they had an x-ray machine people put their luggage in, but there was a sign next to it that said permanent Resident with an arrow i went thru there no check of anything

@Okieboy

While I have never traveled to the Philippines with a new laptop, close but 1/2/3 months old for 13 odd years gave never had an issue with customs,,,,,, if you ever see them in the airport, mine is always carry on.

I have read that a brand new laptop should be unboxed and carry on, if you feel you need to keep the packaging then throw is in your check in luggage and keep the receipt if asked. For me Customes/checkers here seem to be more worried about nail clippers and cigarette lighters prior to boarding for exit. Upon arrival here some 2 dozen plus times I think I have faced customs twice and they never check my collected baggage, as said rare to see them here no matter the terminal. Only my experiences.

Cheers, Steve.

Simple, make it look "not new." don't pack it in it's new box, put some text on the PC in case you have to start it up. Put some water decals on the outside. And don't pack it in your checked luggage if you don't have to. If you're already got a PC in your carry on, switch it for the new one.

I'm not sure what the amount of goodies you can bring back to whatever your home country  is, but if you're under the limit of $$$$$ then no worry. I hardly ever bring anything back to the USA from the far east so I can't help you there. It should not anything to worry about.