Travel Tax for leaving the Philippines

I will be departing from the Philippines in mid May after a 3 month visit. I am a US citizen and am not a taxable foreign passport holder, so according to my research, I do not think I am required to pay the travel tax. But do I need to apply for a Travel Tax Exemption Certficate to avoid paying the tax?

Nope, jump on your plane, simple, after 6 months you need an ECC which is a visit to immi and 500 pesos.

Cheers, Steve.

You are right no need to pay travel tax , but ECC and travel tax are completely different payments.

Nope, jump on your plane, simple, after 6 months you need an ECC which is a visit to immi and 500 pesos.
Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

That is only for tourist visas.  SRRV does not require ECC. 13A ECC is handled at the airport.

@danfinn ECC and travel tax are not the same tax .

@danfinn ECC and travel tax are not the same tax .
-@bacayo2000

Of course, we all know that, but the thread expanded to include ECC. BTW, SRRV is exempt from travel tax if previous departure was less than 6 months.

Maybe my bad for mentioning ECC Dan. That's all I pay, 500 pesos for the ECC and no travel tax but Ben as a Philippines national even holding permanent residency in Australia has to pay travel tax, he can't remember the exact amount but around 1,000 pesos.

So a question to the brains trust,,,, those who hold an SRRV; so no travel tax nor ECC if under 6 months in country same as a visitor but after that? Travel tax only or the ECC as well?

Cheers, Steve.

Maybe my bad for mentioning ECC Dan. That's all I pay, 500 pesos for the ECC and no travel tax but Ben as a Philippines national even holding permanent residency in Australia has to pay travel tax, he can't remember the exact amount but around 1,000 pesos.
So a question to the brains trust,,,, those who hold an SRRV; so no travel tax nor ECC if under 6 months in country same as a visitor but after that? Travel tax only or the ECC as well?
Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

With SRRV, you never need an ECC under any conditions. With SRRV, you do pay travel tax if last departure was greater than 6 months.

So what is the travel tax after 6 months in country? I did look at the SRRV for many reasons and one was constant travelling but since Covid we have only left the country for visa run @ 35 months, onther travels down the track but maybe once a year, found my spot here and no need to travel too often.

Cheers, Steve.

So what is the travel tax after 6 months in country? I did look at the SRRV for many reasons and one was constant travelling but since Covid we have only left the country for visa run @ 35 months, onther travels down the track but maybe once a year, found my spot here and no need to travel too often.
Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

It depends on your class of travel:

Current rates are:

Tax

PHP 2,700.00 First Class

PHP 1,620 Economy and Business

We too do not leave the country much and always pay travel tax at the airport before boarding . Tou do need exact change in  Pesos, no ither currency or CC accepted.No big deal compared to the total cost of travel. ECC is a big deal since it would require the hassle of traveling to Cebu, getting a hotel, waiting in line at some BI center etc.. Less hassle if you live in a large city but Dumaguetenos on tourist visas hate it, understandably. It's not the money you must

pay for ECC, it is the hassle. Less hassle if you are 13A where you obtain ECC at the airport.

Yes true Dan the pesos are pittance in reality, I am fortunate that my immi office is only 40 minutes drive and most times empty, the ECC was a piece of p@ss with 2 photos and a couple of thumb prints and 500 pesos on a visitor visa, shopping and dining after the 10 minute ordeal. For me the visitor/tourist visa works.

Cheers, Steve.

P.S. I will tell Ben he probably paid 1,620 pesos departure tax as he forgot.

Cheers, Steve.

Reading the comments above, It seems that I got screwed on my first visit to the Philippines. Entered and departed through Cebu and even though I was only there as a tourist for about 3 weeks, I was told to pay the departure tax. 800 pesos at the time, I think. I have never been asked to pay it on my 4 subsequent visits though.

Sad tale Cherryann, only once have I paid a fee to leave this country, P 500 after 35 months for the ECC. 12 years previous under 6 month visits no fees.

Cheers, Steve.

Sad tale Cherryann, only once have I paid a fee to leave this country, P 500 after 35 months for the ECC. 12 years previous under 6 month visits no fees.
Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

At least I know better now and like I said it was a one off so no real harm done.

Reading the comments above, It seems that I got screwed on my first visit to the Philippines. Entered and departed through Cebu and even though I was only there as a tourist for about 3 weeks, I was told to pay the departure tax. 800 pesos at the time, I think. I have never been asked to pay it on my 4 subsequent visits though.
-@Cherryann01

Happened to me too, lol. I just remember it was so confusing. Go here, go there. Pay this.

So to be Clear,

13a holders Will obtain the ECC at airport & Pay Travel tax there,

While SRRV Only pays Travel tax, and only if it's been 6 months + since last departure Correct ?

@vehicross100 Correct.

All interesting info, I on a simple visitor visa I paid P500 for an ECC @ 35 months and no travel tax but Ben a PH. national paid over P 1K in travel tax, P1,500 rings a bell.

Interesting.

Cheers, Steve.

With too much time on my hands and tired of youtube/netflix videos I checked out ECC from this forum and Google, I feel I'm on a LSD trip.

ECC (Emigration Clearance Certificate) Seems there are two types, A and B. . . . Type A Temporary, A is Tourist Visa and it must be done at BI and should be done within 3 days in advance in case of a snafu,

Type B is for holders of an ACR-1 or 13A. Price ranges between P1200 and P3,000 can be done at the airport. The ECC's is valid for 30 Days.

ECC form is 2015-08-001A, it looks similar to the application of the ACR-1 with subtle changes. There are even fill out forms on the internet.

All in all there is so much conflicting information on Google. Thus I feel I'm stoned.

Mind you, I'm not vouching for any of the info, I'm not planning on leaving . . .and if I were to leave I would dread jumping through the hoops or going down a rabbit hole that leads to nowhere.

Bob on a visitor visor it's 500 pesos after 6 months and under 3 years. Type A and B depends on your visa status. Tourist visa seems to be the cheapest aside from  flying for a holiday but those costs are relative to all countries.

Cheers, Steve.

@bigpearl I believe they made a mistake and forgot to charge you travel tax after 35 months as a foreigner.

With too much time on my hands and tired of youtube/netflix videos I checked out ECC from this forum and Google, I feel I'm on a LSD trip.
ECC (Emigration Clearance Certificate) Seems there are two types, A and B. . . . Type A Temporary, A is Tourist Visa and it must be done at BI and should be done within 3 days in advance in case of a snafu,

Type B is for holders of an ACR-1 or 13A. Price ranges between P1200 and P3,000 can be done at the airport. The ECC's is valid for 30 Days.

ECC form is 2015-08-001A, it looks similar to the application of the ACR-1 with subtle changes. There are even fill out forms on the internet.

All in all there is so much conflicting information on Google. Thus I feel I'm stoned.

Mind you, I'm not vouching for any of the info, I'm not planning on leaving . . .and if I were to leave I would dread jumping through the hoops or going down a rabbit hole that leads to nowhere.
-@Enzyte Bob

That is exactly how I have understood it. For people here in Dumaguete, most are on tourist visaa and need type A ECC. They need to go to a large city like Cebu to get the BI clearance so they have to get a hotel and wait for it to be issued. What a royal pain in the a$$ that must be. Type B ECC at the airport should be no big deal.

Sorry dan but I very much doubt immi misses a trick. I have the receipt for 500 pesos for my ECC, no other costs. Only my observation but I never paid travel tax in 12 years but the better half as a Filipino pays every time he leaves the country but not the ECC.

Cheers, Steve.

@bigpearl So when I leave I should also be exempt from travel tax. Thank you for the information Steve.

@bigpearl Filipino pay travel tax on leaving the country. Foreigners who have stayed  a year or more are also eligible to pay the same tax. 1620pesos.

@bigpearl Filipino pay travel tax on leaving the country. Foreigners who have stayed a year or more are also eligible to pay the same tax. 1620pesos.
-@temploni

Maybe so as my better half paid travel tax as he has been back here for 4 years, for me as a simple visitor (as I posted earlier) the ECC comes into play at 6 months, not 12 and it's 500 pesos in an immi office and that is only for the express lane fee, no other charges,,,,, did this in mid February this year.

Not sure where you get your info from but not correct.

Cheers, Steve.

@vehicross100 12m9

Guys?Gals? I'm simply posting the fees I paid at the 35 month mark for the ECC, perhgaps as another member suggested they made a mistake as I remember 12 years ago paying 700 pesos at the airport after being here for 6 months. I'm only reiterating the fees I paid when I flew to Singapore 4 months ago after being here for 35 months, as said I have the receipt and no problems for 10 US bucks.

Dan, late reply but I don't know your visa status, I'm only relating my experience on a visitor visa and the slow part was the thumb prints and Photo shoot and all for 500 pesos express lane fee. Will update when we go to Japan in 6/8 months.

Cheers, Steve.