Getting our dog to Puerto Rico

My name is Kurt and my wife and I are moving to Puerto Rico when I retire in about 5 months. We are trying to find out what options there are for getting our dog to Puerto Rico. Our dog, Maya, is an American Eskimo and weighs about 50 lb, so we cannot take her with us on the plane in the cabin. Just wanted to find out if anyone else has taken their dog to Puerto Rico lately, and how everything worked out with that.

Hello, I'm currently in the process of moving my pets to the island. The most reliable and safest service I could find is Ebenezer Pet Transport. They provide the crates for transport, stay with pets from the time if drop off to loading on plane. Same when landing. Have Air conditioned vans, etc. Here is the number for southbound reservations: +1 (787) 209-4431. Safe travels

Well, I transported a cat in cargo. Be careful about the weather. American Airlines will not fly the animal if the temperature exceeds 75 degrees. I flew in July and they made me wait with the cat FOR HOURS in Miami Airport until the temperature dropped in San Juan. Fly outside of the summer, and it's best to book a night flight when it's cooler. Of course, the idiots at AA never mentioned any of this to me until I got to the airport.

Hi Chris Cabiya Estes,

Grateful if you can please recommend this business in the business directory : Puerto Rico business directory

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team   :cheers:

Chris, thank you for the information. I did not know about Ebenezer pet transport, I will call them to get some information. I am just trying to make some plans now but we are not moving for another four or five months.

Thank you for responding, I did not know about the temperature restrictions. We are also planning on flying out of Miami so I will try to book a Night Flight just to make sure it's cool enough.

Hi Chris,

Ballpark, what do they charge for a 50 pound dog, if you know?

Hello,
While I do not have an answer to your question, I am responding as I too plan to move to the island in the near future and my dog is between 90-100 lbs.  So interested to see responses on this.
Best,
Elena

Ebenezer quoted close to $900 to ship a 50 pound dog San Juan to Miami. Out of my league. Not clear if it includes the crate (probably not).

American charges $200.

I have two large breed dogs in the range of 65-70 pounds. It's a little more than $2,000. I believe the crate size factors in more than weight. I have one dog that is tall, and requires a taller crate. They provide the crates in the price as well.

Yeah they are more than the airlines but they provide everything including the crate. They can transport when other airlines cannot.

Moderated by Bhavna 11 months ago
Reason : Advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please register the company in the Puerto Rico business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I have to westies and a bird I can bring on thr plane. I have a 45 pound dog I may not be able to bring and won't put him in the bottom of a plane. I may have to pay for a private plane. As crazy as that sounds.

@saysme thank you for your information because I have plans in the future. It's good to read up on people that actually experienced us. Good information and well noted. Hope your cat is enjoying PR as well as you.

Hi everyone! Does anyone know of an airline that would allow 3 pets to travel with 2 travelers?

they are not service pets. One of my cats is over 20 pounds (don't judge me lol) the other pets are under 20 pounds.

Flying from NY (JFK) to San Juan.

I am ok with cabin or cargo.

thank you!

@islandmetro

did you find a private plane? please provide the details of your experience (cost,  hassle, how did you find the plane) Im moving with two sixty pound dogs- that are very anxious so i was hoping to send them via a small plane too.