Hello from Kentucky, USA!

Hello, everyone!

I have been a member for probably close to 3 years, but I still feel like a new member, as I don't think I have ever posted before!  I have been following Ecuador from afar, in as much detail as possible, over the last 8 or 10 years.  I am retiring somewhat early, at 51, and am finally only 14 months until retirement.

I am married, and the wife is not 100% sold on Ecuador.  I am of course--well, as sold as can be without actually having visited the country.  I plan on visiting in December of 2021 or January 2022.  I'll be unencumbered by employment at that time, and finally my time will actually be mine.  I'm going to take a brief break from the job, sleep a lot, catch up on some TV shows, love on my dogs, and that's about it before coming down for a month or two to explore, eat, and learn.

It's very exciting.  I know it will be different, and I expect some things to be better, and some to be worse.  I am seeking to live on the oceanfront with 2 or 3 bedrooms.  I can give up most modern conveniences, except for internet and grocery stores.  This is my dream.

I don't quite know what town to start visiting.  Salinas, Olon, or Crucita look like strong possibilities.  I hope to visit more than one during my time there.  There is a housing development down near Porsoja that really interests me as well, mostly because of the price and modern style of the homes.

One concern I have is price and lack of financing.  Living on the beach in the USA generally requires a million dollars+, and being from a relatively poor state (Kentucky), I don't have that kind of money.  I can probably come up with $80k.  I have seen some places that look like possibilities, so I am still hopeful.

That is possibly too much information that opens me to ridicule.  I hope not. :)

-Brian

bkiser wrote:

I am retiring somewhat early, at 51, and am finally only 14 months until retirement....

One concern I have is price and lack of financing.  Living on the beach in the USA generally requires a million dollars+, and being from a relatively poor state (Kentucky), I don't have that kind of money.  I can probably come up with $80k....

That is possibly too much information that opens me to ridicule.  I hope not. :)

-Brian

Dear Brian,

We're not into ridicule on this forum.  Your willingness to share your situation in detail is appreciated.

----

You can live on the beach in Ecuador without investing $80,000.  It is highly recommended that new Ecuador arrivals rent their home for the first year.

There are ways to legally stay in Ecuador without purchasing your beachfront home.  For instance, taking a class in Spanish, whether it's Spanish 101 or an advanced course.  You could make a decision on which school to choose during your preliminary 90 days on your arrival stamp .. and obtain the education-related visa for an additional year.

I could easily state many reasons to buy, not rent in Year 1.  Let's discuss two.

If you put together $80,000, make the purchase and find that your new location doesn't work for you, you are not guaranteed to be able to re-sell the property easily, quickly or at a favorable price.

If you are considering a move to a high-floor condo with a great ocean and beach view, be aware that Ecuador's coast is earthquake-prone.  When the 7.8 big one hit several years ago, many condo owners were left with cracks in their walls, rendering their units uninhabitable.  Renters were in a better position than owners.

cccmedia

Hey cccmedia, thanks for the reply!

I definitely will not be buying immediately.  Living a year there is my plan.  I can't help but get excited thinking about moving, though.  I really cannot afford my dream here in the USA.  My wife and I are looking at houses and they're $200k, $250k.  I will be paying a mortage for the rest of my life, and then leaving my kids with bills to pay.  I don't want to go that route.  I want the financial freedom to relax and enjoy my retirement, and not have to worry.

I was planning on coming down in just over a year, but now I'm thinking a short two week visit during this Christmas break might get some of this feeling out of my system before then.

I'm very excited!

bkiser wrote:

I don't quite know what town to start visiting.  Salinas, Olon, or Crucita look like strong possibilities.  I hope to visit more than one during my time there.  There is a housing development down near Porsoja that really interests me as well, mostly because of the price and modern style of the homes.

Another town of interest is Bahía de Caráquez, also known as Bahía (bah-EE-yah), population 20,000.

Since 2010 when Ecuador's longest bridge, Puente Las Caras, was finished, completing the coastal Spondylus route, Bahía has become extremely popular with Expats and folks from Quito who desired a second home at the beach.

Bahía is one of many places damaged by the big earthquake.  But future quakes are unpredictable and probably no more likely to hit Bahía than any other place on the coast.

cccmedia

+1 for take your time. Be here for a couple of seasons before jumping in. For example Olon December to May is the high season and the weather is very much not the same June to Decemeber (although this September it has been quite nice and we have actually seen the sun, that is very much not the normal - the sun goes in June / July and doesn't come out again until Nov / Dec and you can expect grey over cast and at times miserable weather for the whole time.

Historically, the coastal towns -- which have smaller populations than Quito and Cuenca -- have been far behind the highlands cities in providing health care options.

According to reports from our members in recent years, the coast has been developing more sophisticated facilities.

I suggest that Expats moving to the coast give priority to health care options when deciding on a coastal living location.

cccmedia

we did a 2 week exploratory to Quito, Tena, Cuenca, Guayaquil, Salinas and then Manta- very whirlwind. But we had traveled quite a bit including Central America and the Caribbean, so it gave us a quick feel for the place and the scenery. So i think your idea of a quick trip around the first of the year is smart. 2 years later we moved to Salinas, and have lived here for 11 months, and are enjoying it very much. When we leave here we will live in Olon for a couple of months then on to Loja or Cuenca until we decide to try the next place! Salinas seemed like a good place to start our expat adventure because we came from the coast and so we would have a little familiarity at least with the sea! Come, travel around and see if the country, people and climate pull at your heart strings!
good luck!

Hi BKiser,

Be sure to drop in on San Jacinto - San Alejo & San Clemente, all 3 small fishing villages bordered together 1-2-3, just North of Crucita and south of Bahia. maybe aprox 150 full time expats, good atmosphere, and growing by leaps and bounds.

And there is an expat in Canoa just North of Bahia from KY, he has been here 15 yrs, if you bring him a bottle of Makers Mark he will tell you all about the Manabi Province as yall sips on the adult beverage.

All the Best,
Journeyman Jack in Ecuador,

parrotsrest wrote:

we did a 2 week exploratory to Quito, Tena, Cuenca, Guayaquil, Salinas and then Manta- very whirlwind.

What are your thoughts on Manta? I'm not sure many other cities in Ecuador are an option for me, because my fiancée is a Manta native (hopefully we will be doing the deed in the next few weeks...I go down this Friday). She says it is pretty cosmopolitan with a lot of gringos around, & the arid climate (according to Wikipedia) may help with the heat. I will know soon enough about the people, but I am more interested in the environment/amenities.

Damon.

Oddly enough we just returned from Manta, we couldn't really remember it well and it is one of the few places we can travel to right now. Quite a large sprawling city with a really nice coast line. more waves than Salinas where we live now, temperature was comparable for this time of the year, but it did seem less humid than we are used to. Unfortunately with covid most bars and clubs are still closed and restaurants are quite limited, but there was still a decent variety available. We went and hiked a little in a jungle environment at Pacoche Reserve about 30 mins. South of Manta, very worthwhile and lunch was great. Best of luck.

parrotsrest wrote:

. We went and hiked a little in a jungle environment at Pacoche Reserve about 30 mins. South of Manta, very worthwhile and lunch was great. Best of luck.

Interestingly, she sent me videos of her cousin there just this morning, so that may be up on our list of things to do on my trip...

Damon.

You could tour the coast in a logical way, picking a southern point like say, Playas or Salinas, and work your way northward and stay in each town that interests you for a week or two. It's easy enough to do by bus.

Lots of micro-climates on the coast, so things like humidity, cloud cover, and rainfall can vary a lot with just 10-15 miles. Some of the local beaches have pretty calm water and others are known for surfing big waves.

You are so helpful. Thank you. I will plan the trip as you said one day.

I have read this topic with interest as I am a Canadian, also planning to retire to Ecuador as soon as possible.
What are the regulations on travelling to Ecuador at this time? Is it possible at all?
I would appreciate any information.

EveeZee wrote:

What are the regulations on travelling to Ecuador at this time? Is it possible at all?

Dear Evee,

When the national emergency declaration was lifted in mid-September, Cuenca Highlife's website reported that a negative covid test would still be required of passengers arriving  by air.  A traveler arriving covid-positive or lacking proof of a successful test would have to self-quarantine (possibly required of those ages 18-65).

The same article said that land borders into Ecuador would remain closed until further notice.

----

An update dated October 1st on the World Nomads website says the self-quarantine rules have been lifted for all passengers arriving by air. 
www.worldnomads.com (enter Ecuador in Search box)

cccmedia

Thank you.

I am in Ecuador right now. I brought a negative COVID test translstor into Spanish. Getting through the soporte at Guayaquil was relatively easy.

Damon.

Dagretto wrote:

I am in Ecuador right now. I brought a negative COVID test translstor into Spanish. Getting through (at) Guayaquil was relatively easy.

What exactly did you bring and where did you get it?

There is a place outside of Philadelphia that specializes in travel health. They are doing COVID tests. I got one there for around $200 (elective so not covered by insurance). But you can call your hospital too. You need a PCR test. Get it translated too.

Damon.