The % tax imposed on Hybrid

Hi everyone,

I have one question: Specific model-Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid - it is a “Plug-in Hybrid” (different from typical hybrid). What would be the % tax imposed on it?
Whom should I contact for more details?

Thank you !
Sesily

Puerto Rico is waiving the excise tax on electric vehicles -- don't know about hybrids.  Let me see if I can find the article on this.....

Looks like good news for you.  Plug-in hybrids seem to be exempt as well.

Please post a link to the article.

Thank you!

I found that article too. However I would like to have official confirmation. So maybe you could advise me to whom I should contact? Thank you.

Plug-in hybrids or full electric vehicles do not pay taxes. I recently brought a plug in Volvo without issue. Here is the rule

http://www.hacienda.gobierno.pr/sites/d … l-2014.pdf

You need to have documentation that states the vehicle is a plug-in such as a brochure or dealer document.

Not sure where one would plug in an electric vehicle.  We dont have charging stations on the island

We have an electric car that we keep in Texas to use while we are there.  You can plug it right into any electrical outlet.  Ours has a little converter that we purchased in Home Depot.  You can also have an electrician on the island install big one that charges faster

This link will show you charging stations here in PR

https://chargehub.com/en/countries/puerto-rico.html

I know that I have seen a charging station at the Dennys restaurant on #2. Just east of Hatillo.

How long will the waiver on taxes last?

Hopefully, an autonomous electric self driving car will be available soon.  I believe that when they hit the market ( priced for the average buyer) , the conversion will be fairly swift.

Sitka wrote:

I know that I have seen a charging station at the Dennys restaurant on #2. Just east of Hatillo.

How long will the waiver on taxes last?

Hopefully, an autonomous electric self driving car will be available soon.  I believe that when they hit the market ( priced for the average buyer) , the conversion will be fairly swift.

I am not sure if the AI is ready for the potholes and roads falling into the cliffs, nor the narrow roads or the unnamed roads and the roads directions that many times are wrong in the GPS. Self driving cars island wide in PR is probably 40 years into the future.

Hi Modliving,

Can you tell me what the "exemption documents" they require through SURI are? With everything being closed because of COVID-19, we are having a hard time getting anyone on the phone. We tried going to the building and it was closed. We've submitted all forms and got an email back that our exemption documents were not correct, but they did not tell us what we need to submit. they also did not tell us where to find them. I can't find information on the Hacienda website or anywhere.

Please help if you can.

Thank you,

Memory

@modliving This Act was only good through 30 June 2016, at which point it was to be revisited to see if Puerto Rico would continue with the credit, exemptions, or refunds. Has this been continued? If so, where can it be referenced?

I am retiring and moving to PR and am planning on trading current vehicles and purchasing two EVs in order to avoid excise tax.

Does the waiver of excise tax on electric, hybrid vehicles apply to all vehicles or specific manufacturers? I went onto the Hacienda website and looked up some electric vehicles to see and all Tesla models show an amount under excise tax to pay.   Is there a good number to call to find out for sure? 

Thank you!

@shakiraalicea2769

I sent my 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid and I paid about $1,800. I used Rosa Del Monte to ship it and paid $1,400   .When  I called them and they said that the only cars that are exempt from tax are the completely electric cars, in other words, only those that work solely on batteries. Rosa Del Monte was great with doing all the process.

@areliscolon62

Thank you Arelis - I have a 2021 Toyota Camry but it's not electric, the excise tax on this vehicle is about $6,000 (not including the shipping charge), so I'm trying to decide whether I should trade it in for an electric vehicle instead.