Buy a car in PR or ship from NYC?

Hi everyone!

I have a question about my car.

My car and I are currently in NYC. I have 18,900 left to pay on my lease, to keep my car. I pay 325 a month and have a 2020 Honda CR-V.

I'm not sure if I should return this car (it's a lease due back in august). Or if I should buy it and ship it to the island. If I keep it, I continue to pay 325 a month until the 18,900 payment is done.

Is it better for me to ship my car or to buy one there? Also, what companies ship cars there? I'm trying to figure everything out and what's the best thing to do because I've heard cars are expensive there.

Thank you!

Do research into shipping costs (Crowley is cheapest) and especially TAXES. We were hit with an $8,000 tax bill. It would have been cheaper to buy the car on the island.

@JessicaMaria Hola, unfortunately you will not be able to ship a leased vehicle to PR. The leasing company will not give you the paperwork to release the vehicle to be shipped and the shipping company will require it as will the Port Hacienda office in PR. Additionally, PR does not offer lease options- you can only purchase a vehicle. I recommend you either return it and pay the difference after they assess an early lease return or let someone else sublease it - if possible. If you consider shipping a vehicle you buy, you will also have to pay taxes on that vehicle when it gets to PR.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much! My lease is up now and I can purchase the car now. I'm just not sure if it's better to buy my car and ship it (with monthly payments) or to buy one over there.

If I buy a car there, can I make monthly payments? I'm ok buying a used car there.

Also, they will ship from PA to San Juan and I'm in NYC moving to the west side of the island.

Thank you so much!!

@JessicaMaria Remember PR cars are at least a 30% markup. If it's 30k stateside, it'll be almost 45K here. Also, there is an inventory problem here on most things. Buying a used car could be beneficial but remember the markup and make sure you have someone with you to negotiate. If you buy your current car remember the hacienda taxes are based on year and original cost of car - you could be looking at another 8k in taxes up front on a 3 yr old car. Our car was 15K to ship. The hacienda site has a table to estimate the cost of taxes. The west side is beautiful! If you need to know anything else let me know. Enjoy!

Hi Jessica, All the best with relocating to PR. Please research the cost of import taxes on your vehicle. I happened to check recently for a 2017 Honda Civic and the import tax would be $3712.00, plus the cost to ship (from Jacksonville FL $1300.00 and then to register the vehicle approximately $260.00. Here is the import tax site: Go To SuriHacienda.pr.gov

[link moderated]

Thank you so much for the information! Im still not sure what would be better for me to do. I owe 19k - what is left on my car to pay, and then I would have to add the other fees/taxes/expenses.

My car is also leased. I don't have to buy it and bring it. I can rerun it in august. That's when it's due back.

@JessicaMaria hi its not just the shipping cost. You have to pay taxes based on the value of the car. A 2020 Crv might pay about 7 to 9k in taxes. Go to SURI PR website you can look up your vehicles info.

@JessicaMaria

We are shipping our car back from PR right now.

We used Puerto Rico Car Transport. DM me if you want the info on how to reach them.

Our 2022 Ford Bronco was 18k extra on the Island. (import tax). Then to ship it back to VA was 1200. we paid extra for door delivery, but you can cut costs by driving to the port. its about half the cost if you choose port to port.

it was VERY difficult to ship a financed vegicle. We use Pentagon Federal Credit Union, and thank goodness we did. Since they are one of the few banks that are located both on the Island and Mainland. If it was financed by any other bank, we would have had to refinance to get it transported.

i suggest you start by speaking to your finance company and get their advice. However, the paperwork costs on the island were over $400 in fees, that is NOT included in the shipping costs, and services (you need to hire a lawyer for notary and affidavid) so, if you are coming back, keep this all in mind.

Good luck!

the island is beautiful!

I just sent my 2012 Camry with La Rosa Del Monte. They chaged 1,400 to ship it and it was about 1,800 for taxes.  luckily they took care of everything, and we picked it up at their warehouse. The experience was very good and I didn't have to run around.

We shipped a car when we first moved here and it wasnt bad… we are in the process of buying here and the prices are rough…. you pay the hacienda taxes either way shipping pr buying here…

Good morning, I'm transferring from Virginia to San Juan for the USPS next month.  I'm  retired military and have access to Fort Buchanon. Reason I said this is that there are used cars for sale by owners who are transfering or are being discharged from service and not wanting to ship their vehicle back to stateside.

MY QUESTION: Which is the best option for me with the least hassle. I have a 2007 Lexus RX 350 to ship costing a total of $2700 ( shipping and import tax included).. Or buying from the used car lot at Fort Buchannon, however what hassles will it be to do so..

Last question: If I do ship my vehicle to Puerto Rico and sell it there, will there be a mark up of its value compared to the Blue Book value here in the mainland.

Thank you

@Jeffreyglenn5a  not worst it that a down payment for a much better and since the price the interest must be lower  sell it where ever you have that  dont waste your i personally was then change my mind 

respectfully Noel

@Noel Cruz Secondary

Can you explain that again for me because I'm somewhat confused by your post.

Thanks

Sorry for my speed writing truthfully constantly with the cause of interest taxes unless it a classic vehicle,go to clasificadosonline.com is kind of craigslist but in puerto rico i personally was going to payoff my car and done the same instead going to have my cousin paid the balance so he could keep here in NYC and buy either a jeep or a BMW there a good car dealer in san juan which i found on the website  good luck hope once my house is completed build in salina we could meet 

Respectfully

Noel

@Jeffreyglenn5a

Honestly, I would avoid the hassle of transport and buy on the Island. Your vehicle will have more ”value” on the Island, but it is unlikely you will see that money, as you will be paying the import fee, nor will you be able to recoup the shipping fee. I would keep in mind, if you need to finance a purchase, interest rates are much higher than they are mainland unless you use a bank located on the mainland (Navy Fed or Pen Fed) we just came back from PR 2 weeks ago, so this info is very current.

good luck!

@raynerro335

Thanks for the reply Ray, after some heavy consideration I have decided to ship my car to the island. As long as it holds up aand I get settled in would I consider buying ssomething newer. The best car note is a no car note in my honest opinion.

Looking forward to the next three years working there at the USPS.

Totally agree on the no note issue! Make sure to give yourself plenty of time to meet all if the ”checklist” items for shipping.

We underestimated the Island requirements for shipping back to the US mainland and got to the dock with 7 minutes to spare. All the paperwork is time sensitive and has to go in order. It may be easier from this side, but it was a process.

Have fun! we miss the Island already!