Customs ?!?!

Help !! My job fedexed me a new laptop but it's been held in Customs for some strange reason for over a week and I have had endless emails from FedEx AND Customs asking for my passport which I have sent multiple times.  Now TODAY someone calls me and says that I am going to have to pay a tax on the shipment and they will call me back and tell me how much unless I want to prove to them that it's my laptop and I can only do that in person.  At this point I'd rather pay, whatever the hell it is to get my laptop. But when I look on the Internet to see what the charge would be for a laptop, it says laptops are exempt ! I'm so confused ! Any thoughts ?

They are charging you the 18% sales tax on the value of the laptop.  This is normal for all electronics.

Mark,

If it is a work laptop, then prove to them the item is as such.  Please do not make the mistake of just paying for a tax or any other fees just to eliminate a headache.  Those type of actions are the reason some gov officials scam the expats and tourist. In other words they know you rather pay a fee than go through a process.  You need to go to the customs office with the laptop documentation and claim it.  If you can not prove it is a work related item them as it was previously stated you will have to pay the 18% sales tax for electronics purchase.

Work related items pay 18 % tax as well!

FFS ! so if I would've flown home and put it in my bag and brought it back here it's free, but if I have it shipped to me, I have to pay an 18% tax ? To be honest I would be happy to pay the 18% tax. My problem is I've now been waiting a week and I can't get anyone to tell me how and where to do it or even that I have to do it ! its so frustrating - weve already paid an exorbitant amount to FedEx to have it here overnight and now this !

FedEx should be acting as your Customs Broker for this.  They should be sending you the invoice from Aduanas to pay.  It should take less than 30 seconds for Aduanas to appraise the laptop, find the category it falls under in their system, and issue an invoice for taxes due.  If an invoice was not included in the parcel, FedEx should be asking you for a copy of it.  In my opinion, FedEx has dropped the ball by not keeping you informed.  There is no arguing with Aduanas, they couldn't care less whether you pay the duty and collect you computer, or not and they get a free new computer.

I've had similar problems with DHL and UPS, so it is universal, not limited to one courier.

Does anyone know if customs will charge the 18% tax on electronic items having shipped with my household goods- items such as (2) desk top pc, (1) laptop, (1) tablet and (1) stereo system including (2) speakers. washer and dryer, refrigerator and (2) window mounted a/c units.

...also (3) TV sets.

including other electronics, surveillance camera system, modem and router.

Will all these electronics be taxed the 18% by customs when shipping with my household goods via shipping container to the DR?

They will not tax you IF you ship your household goods within six months of obtaining residency.

Great! Thanks.

They will not tax you IF you ship your household goods within six months of obtaining residency.

-@RockyM

In one single shipment as I understand it.  Like shipping one box or one container.

If you do it in multiple shipments, I suspect you would be paying taxes on items over $200 USD.

Good to know. Avoids costly surprises.Thanks!

Does anyone know if one should ship their yard tools and other equipment stored in a shed such as a lawn mower, hedge trimmer, etc.. ?

So, I don't know if keeping up curb appeal on one's property is also a practice in the DR as one is accustomed to in North America.

What is recommended, ship it or sell it?  And if shipping is recommended, can one find 50:1 premium mix fuel and oil, Ethanol free for sale in the DR?

Are they any big box stores like COSTCO, or BJ's and Hardware stores like HomeDepot or Lowe''s or similar stores in the DR?

If you are going to have a house and yard ship everything you need to maintain it. If you sell it stateside you  are going to get yard sale money for it. And you will end up replacing it here anyway. Prices for such things here are high and the quality is not particularly good. In retrospect, I would have bought many things new stateside and included them in our container. If you do this remove new items from their packaging (i.e. make it look used). I know in Las Terrenas many things are just difficult to get our hands on (e.g. lawn mowers, kitchen appliances, etc.).

If you will live in Santo Domingo you are much better off in regards to available goods. There are big box stores (PriceSmart), large hardware stores, etc.

We have Pricemart here which is like Costco.

Curb appeal - absolutely.  A weekly Gardner is a pretty common thing!

@RockyM

Okay. I do just that. Thanks for the savings heads-up, very appreciated.

Does Pricemart offer delivery services. If so, do they deliver outside Santo Domingo? If not, is there a similar store for example in the second largest city - Santiago De Los Caballeros for example to serve the rest of the country, maybe, hopefully?

Just asking just to avoid the bad traffic in the capital.

@ Planner

Whats an average fee for weekly gardener services?

After reading responses, began wondering if they're any storage facilities available to rent out and hold one's household goods.

I plan on renting first for a while I take time to visit and get familiar with different places.

This thread is titled "Customs", so conversations should be limited to that topic. If you have other questions, please find an appropriate thread or start a new one.

For the new resident import duty exoneration, it must be a single shipment. You are allowed a 20 or 40 foot container of personal/household items. When the container arrives, you must apply for the exoneration with Aduanas and meet with them for an interview. Using a customs broker is highly recommended to ensure the process goes well. We worked with Radca Cargo.

Most houses.are rented unfurnished so you may not need to store your shipment.

Yes let's try to stay on track.

@ddmcghee

Yes indeed, you are right. Though  I began with questions related to the thread, being so consumed and excited with planning the move to the DR, easily changed lanes if you will - outside the thread with other questions related to the move. My apologies.

Thank you so much for answering and providing very helpful information. I really appreciate it.

@ Planner

Thank you. Thais is also good to know.

I will need to do some research in other thread's for finding a place to rent. Any suggestions on which other threads to look into for renting?

@ ddmcghee

@ Planner

Disregard my last question as I immediately found the thread "Moving to DR".

Thank you both. 

@Nanosaso, Hello,  I have not added much value or made any suggestions to your questions about the DR.

However, I wanted to share this insight with you. As many of us have been here for many years and myself about 23 years off and on for long periods, and have lived in many parts of the country.

I would say this to you...a lot of the suggestions and recommendations are based off individual experience and I can tell you that if you decide to move to the DR always know and understand that you really need to first hand have those experiences of living on the DR economy and know that this month we may provide advise but next month it may totally different.

One thing I have learned living here in the DR is almost nothing is consistent, fast, and may vary on the outcome depending where you live the country.

Best of luck and if anything..have much patients, flexibility and most importantly Adaptbilty to the DR culture.

Best...

@ Christopher David56

I appreciate you coming forward and sharing. I believe what you stated 100 percent. It's about constant adaptability I recall Planner and you have made clear in the another thread. I will definetely keep this in mind.

One follow-up question - Aside from the short-falls North American and Europeans may experience while living in the DR, are you overall happy living there and if you had a choice will you choose the DR again over any other less expensive destinations  you may want to live in?

I ask because I really appreciate listening to what others view as we can all learn from each other's individual experiences.

If I fall outside the thread's theme, please forgive me as I welcome being reminded as I want to do my best to remain respectful to the rules.

Thank you once more for your valuable advise.

@Nanosaso I'll keep it very short due to the thread topic.

I wouldn't change a thing!  :)

@Nanosaso I'll keep it very short due to the thread topic.
I wouldn't change a thing!  smile.png-@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56

That's encouraging. Thanks!!1f44d.svg

In 2003, I moved a full container when I got residency.  I got screwed by customs anyway. Had to go and pay for some things I should not have had to pay for.

I got screwed by the moving company who were supposed to unpack and move everything in place.

And they didn't, I did it.

That said, I am glad I moved my house contents to the DR.  I did not bring a car since my container was full with household items and my musical instruments and gear.  I have never given serious thought to importing my own car.. That seems more of a hassle than it is worth for an individual and each time the results vary from the reports I hear about that.

In 2003, I moved a full container when I got residency.  I got screwed by customs anyway. Had to go and pay for some things I should not have had to pay for.
I got screwed by the moving company who were supposed to unpack and move everything in place.
And they didn't, I did it.

That said, I am glad I moved my house contents to the DR.  I did not bring a car since my container was full with household items and my musical instruments and gear.  I have never given serious thought to importing my own car.. That seems more of a hassle than it is worth for an individual and each time the results vary from the reports I hear about that.

-@windeguy

Your post got my attention as I'm currently planning my move. Here are my questions.

With regards to customs, what items (things) do you believe you should not have had to pay for but were made to pay anyway? 

"I got screwed by the moving company who were supposed to unpack and move everything in place.

And they didn't, I did it."

Could you please explain this a bit further?  Are you referring to the moving company where you were moving from who I suppose are the ones responsible for loading your household goods into the shipping container?

Or was it the moving company in the DR who dropped the ball where you had to unload and unpack your own household goods ?   I'm confused as to what happened. Could you clarify?

Is there a contract one signs where it is outlined as to what is expected in services provided by the moving company? 

If there was a signed contract or agreement document in place, did it state in clear terms the movers responsibility?

Has anyone experienced anything like what happened to Windeguy?

@Nanosaso

AND I would like to know were they paid in full BEFORE they did the job?

In 2003, I moved a full container when I got residency.  I got screwed by customs anyway. Had to go and pay for some things I should not have had to pay for. I got screwed by the moving company who were supposed to unpack and move everything in place. And they didn't, I did it. That said, I am glad I moved my house contents to the DR.  I did not bring a car since my container was full with household items and my musical instruments and gear.  I have never given serious thought to importing my own car.. That seems more of a hassle than it is worth for an individual and each time the results vary from the reports I hear about that.         -@windeguyYour post got my attention as I'm currently planning my move. Here are my questions.With regards to customs, what items (things) do you believe you should not have had to pay for but were made to pay anyway?  "I got screwed by the moving company who were supposed to unpack and move everything in place. And they didn't, I did it."

Could you please explain this a bit further?  Are you referring to the moving company where you were moving from who I suppose are the ones responsible for loading your household goods into the shipping container?

Two  main issues I had:  The International moving company in the USA said it would all be included door to door packing, shipping and unpacking and placing my goods inside my house.  Well,  I had to pay additional taxes at customs and had to go to Santo Domingo from Cabarete to do that before my container was released. I have no recollaction of what was actually taxed at customs.

Then the local Dominican Company wanted extra money to do what was contracted to them by the US mover.  I told them no and moved and unpacked everything myself.  Or was it the moving company in the DR who dropped the ball where you had to unload and unpack your own household goods ?   I'm confused as to what happened. Could you clarify?

As indicate above the DR company refused to unpack without more pesos. I told them to get lost. Is there a contract one signs where it is outlined as to what is expected in services provided by the moving company? 

Yep.  Door to door shipping with all costs, shipping and customs duty and delivery with unpacking included was signed in the USofA.  Clear as a bell. No reason for any doubt at all , And so it goes.
If there was a signed contract or agreement document in place, did it state in clear terms the movers responsibility?

It was 100% clear. Did not matter.  I would have had to start a lawsuit in the USA.  Keep in mind I consider this type of situation happening very normal after living here for 20 years full time. Everyone's personal experience doing the same thing is certain to vary.

-@Nanosaso

Answers to above in bold.

@ Windeguy

Thank you for your responses. Can only hope for the best and be prepared for anything different.

And please remember some things have changed as this was 21 years ago more or less. 

Some things do not change: get recommendations!  Many have had good experiences.

@windeguy similar situation for me when I moved everything 2005. The DR side tried to get more Pesos and same with me door to door plus unpacking. Yes, agree some of the DR motives (people may experience) no matter how much you cross your "T's" and  dot your "I's".....

Thank you Planner,

After reading from above,

I would like to do my very best on my end to ensure a smooth a move. Obviously, one can do so much as the the chain of custody changes hands along the shipping process.

I have a question in regards to having a vehicle included together with one's household goods in a shipping container with delivery to the DR.

For those that went through the process in keeping with any recent changes with Customs  "ADUANAS"

What happens after your shipment arrives in one of the ports in the DR?

What is the chronological order of steps in this process of getting your stuff delivered to your house?

Is your vehicle transported on a truck or towed to your house? Does it arrive at your house the same day your household goods is delivered to your house?

If I need ask any related question, please advise as I hope to minimize all the stress related concerns a move may bring.

Thanks!

Also, can one purchase Dominican based auto-insurance, with a US driver's license, just to have one's vehicle insured while in transport, or is one's shipment already covered against any loss or damage? 

Please disregard all my questions that fall outside this thread.