As of April 1 cash cannot be used to pay overstay fines

It has been reported that as of April 1, 2024 all overstay fines for those from tourist card countries that illegally overstay their 30 day tourist cards cannot be paid for in cash. These fines  must be paid by credit card,  or perhaps a debit card will work.  This is to eliminate the possibility that corrupt MIgracion agents pocket this money and to be able to trace the payments.

This has been confirmed at POP airport.  Can that be confirmed for other DR airports?

Also, does the payment have to be made with a credit card or will a debit card also work? 

And lastly, for the moment,  what if you don't have a card that will work?  What then?

The systems do accept debit cards! 

And imagine if you don't have one or didn't bring it with you?  I imagine if pushed they will have to accept cash. 

I believe this is to stop theft of fines paid on cash!

I am quite certain it is to stop the theft of the overstay fines by Migracion personnel.  The current administration has fired many in Migracion and rotates people on a regular basis to different work locations in an attempt to reduce fraud.

Overstayers are getting bent out of shape they can no longer pay cash.  Some will never have credit cards and if they do some won't use them out of their home countries.  I guess they will have to load up a debit card.  Perhaps they could consider staying legally?  I know, I know, too much to ask..

And what does happen if they have neither a debit nor credit card they will use? 

Do they relent and accept cash or have them but a debit card in some new debit card dispenser?

I read people have missed their flights who only had cash.  Quite the stir...

Is this now confirmed for all DR airportes?

So they basically added a workaround to a workaround! Paying at migracion is like paying in a supermarket, why can't they get that under control? I recall in SDQ there were at least 2 camera's in the booth (one pointed to the customer and one to employee's desk) and you need a printed receipt so that "must" be registered too. Appearently that is not enough, not checked or the theft doesn't happen there.

I would apply for residency if it wasn't that complicated as it is now. Many expats and snowbirds desire a simple legal solution between a tourist visa and full residency.

So they basically added a workaround to a workaround! Paying at migracion is like paying in a supermarket, why can't they get that under control? I recall in SDQ there were at least 2 camera's in the booth (one pointed to the customer and one to employee's desk) and you need a printed receipt so that "must" be registered too. Appearently that is not enough, not checked or the theft doesn't happen there.
I would apply for residency if it wasn't that complicated as it is now. Many expats and snowbirds desire a simple legal solution between a tourist visa and full residency.

-@Papito NL

A simple 6 month snowbird visa would do the trick and make everything legal instead of having the lack of enforcement of immigration laws, driving without a valid license after 30 days, etc..  But no, they cannot come up with that and instead keep the exit fines. 

I absolutely agree a 6 months visitor visa with an appropriate fee is definitely a great option!

I absolutely agree a 6 months visitor visa with an appropriate fee is definitely a great option!        -@planner

If only the government would enact such a Snowbird visa.  Oh well, they just don't care about a few people that overstay their tourist cards.   I just had someone unfriend me because he thinks I called him illegal in the DR.  Well, if anyone overstays a tourist card past 30 days they are illegal in the DR.  If the shoe fits, wear it.

The focus is on AI Resorts, Cruise Ports and Deporting Haitians... no Snowbird visa is forthcoming so we continue with the infinite exit fine schedule which now must be paid using a credit or debit card before you are allowed to depart the DR.

I agree with you completely.

Anybody had an experience of getting into a serious car accident while being on expired tourist visa?

Probably, for the police it's a gift: they can lock you up and extort additional money.

I know of one person who stayed in jail until all the money was paid from the accident.  It was extortion as they overcharged for everything but she was illegal.  She immediately flew home to England once she was released.

Without sounding too sinister, requiring a traceable source of overstay payment could perhaps also allow them to identify repeat offenders?

They already track passports so this is just additional.

Without sounding too sinister, requiring a traceable source of overstay payment could perhaps also allow them to identify repeat offenders?

-@Brewpub56

They have that in a database from your passport information.  I know for sure because I had to get that information from Migracion when I applied for citizenship.  They wanted confirmation of all of my ins and outs to and from the DR.

I suspect the main reason for paying in plastic is to reduce migration agent fraud.

Amazing to me how people that are allowed to stay ilelgaly still complain about the payment method..

I am ok with paying by plastic, because I think fraud here is high and this is another way to reduce it.   I tried to pay my rent here a few times in cash and they wont allow it (preventing theft possibilities).