DL exchange Dominican Republic

I am a dual citizen of both USA and Dominican Republic but I only have the American license. Can I do the exchange for a Dominican license? The intrant requirements for an exchange mention residents on various visas can do the exchange but I am a citizen. Is it the same process for dual nationals or do we have to start from scratch and take the tests?

You have to start from scratch and take the test; I just went through this about 6 months ago.  There is no way to "exchange" or use your US license to get a DR license.  The US embassy won't apostile/certify the US license since they are state-issued, not country-issued.  Per Intranet, the US license has to be apostilled/certified in order to obtain a DR license and there is no way to do this; trust me, I tried!!  Since I don't speak much Spanish, I was worried about the test, but I just took the online practice test about 20-30 times and memorized the answers.  It wasn't bad.

@Stacy ST I can get a driving record from my home state that is true and attested with the RMV signature and then notarize and apostille that, right? And then have that apostille certified by MIREX in DR?

The driving record shows my license number, the type and its status as being active. That, alongside a copy of the license itself, should satisfy their requirement I would think...

https://intrant.gob.do/index.php/servic … dominicana

This is the link that states a foreigner residing in DR on a residency visa can exchange their license. The problem is I don't have a residency visa as I am a citizen. But I am also an American and therefore can also be considered a foreigner, I think. I have DR citizenship, that I applied for and was approved for recently, based on both my parents. But I was born in the USA. Could this process still apply to me?

@reddazzlechic Call them and ask. When my husband called (because he speaks Spanish), they told him the license itself had to be certified by the embassy, and then we called US embassy and they said they do not do that since licenses are state-issued. The best thing to do is call, but my understanding is it has to be the actual license that is certified. I don't believe your citizenship has anything to do with getting a license without going through the whole process. The key is the certified US license, regardless of citizenship.

If you have a New York State license you can get Dominican license by just paying  fee. https://dr1.com/news/2023/08/14/new-yor … ice-versa/

@reddazzlechic

Bonjour

Pouvez vous m'envoyer en français

Pierre this forum is in English. If you prefer you can go to the DR forums that are french based.

@reddazzlechic As Stacy said, US driver's licenses cannot be exchanged for Dominican. Residents from some countries can do that, but not the US.

@ddmcghee Thanks very much. I'm gonna do both tests soon. The thing that confused me was that on the link I posted, if you scroll down to additional information it outlines the process to exchange for Italians and Americans, who have to certify their license in their country of origin first before legalizing in DR. I imagine that's because their respective consulates/embassy in DR don't do that as Stacey mentioned in this forum.

My problem is the general requirements state you can only do the exchange if you have a residency visa of some sort which I do not have.

I'm a bit nervous because my father told me that Intrant is using simulators instead of real cars which was not the case when he first got his license through the DGTT transportation department that came before Intrant when he was younger. My American license road test was also in a real car and I think it's still like that (I took my test over 15 years ago). A simulator to me is gonna be a whole new thing. I might be wrong but we'll see how my test goes.