Who combines the best quality/price for HEALTHCARE INSURANCE?

I am retired, 73, live on the Ecuador coast for the past 14 years. For the past several years I have contracted with BMI, but their price for the same yearly coverage is constantly rising.  Current contract year price is $1,400 (only me), with a Deductible of $5K. The services offered are so many and I wouldn't use 50% of them, ever.  So I'm looking for options. Anyone?

My hubby, who is 61, recently switched over to IESS because he has no ongoing chronic medical conditions.  I also signed on with IESS with him, but due to some ongoing chronic issues still maintain my Confiamed coverage, handled through Blue Box.  I'm still leery of giving up their major medical, and prefer to pay out of pocket for doctor appts anyway.  Buy all my meds straight from the pharmacy.  I can't say it's the most economical choice, but then again there's more of a comfort in being prepared for what "might" happen, as opposed to what has not yet happened.

Are you youvtalking about health insurance? If so, is it required to live there? I am 62, my husband and I have been traveling the world with no insurance and just pay cash as needed. Is Ecaudor mandatory for health insurance?

Hi Dee, and thanks for yours. I'm 73 so I feel a need for health care insurance.  In Ecuador, I can remember when insurance wasn't mandatory.  Then the law changed and it became mandatory. And then the law simply wasn't enforced. So, what the deal is now, I don't really care because I want the insurance.  I just want some feedback from expats that live in Ecuador who have experience in their evaluation and purchasing of healthcare insurance here.

@workingwithcoffee Hi, and thanks for responding.  Re: Confiamed coverage, handled through Blue Box, can you tell me about your experience with it, such as

• How did you come about to selecting Confiamed?
  • What do you pay annually as an individual for full coverage?  And at what Deductible?
  • Are they easy to work with, or do they make it impossible to file a claim?
  • What is their annual % increase in cost for your renewal?

These are some of the questions I seek answers to if I am going to make a change from my BMI, current provider. I will appreciate any info you can give me.

@workingwithcoffee Hi, and thanks for responding.  Re: Confiamed coverage, handled through Blue Box, can you tell me about your experience with it, such as
How did you come about to selecting Confiamed?

When I initially started looking for a policy, Blue Box Brokers was the 'go to' for most.  I contacted them, told them what I wanted and provided personal data (for insurance quoting purposes), and was suggested 2 policies - Vida Buena for doctor visit type stuff, Confiamed for Major Medical.  My husband I at that time opted to go with both polices.  After a time of basically non-using Vida Buena, we cancelled it for both of us.  My hubby cancelled his Confiamed, so that is ithe only remaining private policy I have.

What do you pay annually as an individual for full coverage?  And at what Deductible?

The policy I have is not full coverage, it is specifically a Major Medical policy, with a $5,000 deductible and 500,000 limit.

I pay $65/month, a rate that reflects my age (57), but more importantly, my chronic health conditions.

My husband's Confiamed policy was going to go up 20% with his age change (to 60), so because of his excellent health he opted to cancel both private policies.  BUT, we also opted to sign on with IESS, the country's health insurance, supposedly good but I'm leery of relying totally on them because of reported funding problems and lack of access to certain services.  Some though, totally rely on IESS and are happy with it...I'm in the 'wait and see' phase.  That cost is $79 per person per month, and does not increase with your age.  It is supposedly is comprehensive, even with vision care, but I have no experience with them yet.

Are they easy to work with, or do they make it impossible to file a claim?

One thing here about healthcare is, it's a 'work in progress'.  Do NOT expect it to be at the level of the U.S.  Claims reimbursement is daunting, and their requirements VERY strict.  Let me give you an example of Vida Buena's process, say for going to the doctor and needing a lab test and prescription:

1. The request for reimbursement, which must be given to the doctor for them to fill out, sign and stamp.
  2. You pay for the doctor (if with insurance, a co pay)
  3. If the doctor writes up an order for labwork, you can show the lab but keep that because that will be needed.
  4. You pay the lab for the work, and obtain from them a detailed invoice (not enough to just get a bill with a total).
  5. If you get a prescription, you get the prescription filled, hold on to the original, that's needed too.
  6. When paying for the prescription, be sure to obtain an itemized receipt that has your name on it, that's needed too.

When you've gotten all completed and paid for, submit it as one package to the broker.  Since we don't have a postal service you'll need to bring it to their office.

-If you go out of network, more is needed, and is a much more complicated process.

You see why many just choose to go to their doctor of choice, pay the $20/30 for appt, then pay out of pocket for what may be needed?  The time, an frustration often makes folks want to just handle everything on their own.

Side note - before I understood everything, I basically had to eat a doctor visit b/c of misunderstandings. A dermatologist visit with full body check, skin tag removal, lab work to check one of them, came to a whopping $130 for everything.

What is their annual % increase in cost for your renewal?

For mine, I don't remember, it wasn't much.  But my hubby was going to go into a higher risk bracket, he was turning 60, and they wanted to go up 20%

And of course, for anyone reading this, preventive care visits are only covered if something is found.  As I said, it's a work in progress.

These are some of the questions I seek answers to if I am going to make a change from my BMI, current provider. I will appreciate any info you can give me.

-@topper4499