What will happen after the first 3 months visa visa-free entrance?

Hello everyone, my wife and I are Iranians who are interested in moving to Ecuador. As far as I know, we can enter the country for 3mounths visa-free, but I don't have any idea how we can extend our permission to stay longer or get a visa without investing and registering a company there. Is there anyone here who can recommend some strategy for that?

@Behnoodkalani 🤗 Bienvenidos a Ecuador 💜🌺🇪🇨 ... Actually, you will be automatically be granted a 90 day tourist visa upon successfully entering Ecuador. This 90 day period will be digitally linked and regestered on your passport. You then have the opportunity to apply for ONE additional 90 day extension, called a "prórroga".

It is best to contact a visa office, or independant facilitator who is familiar with the process, and who can provide translation assistance, at least 6 days+ before your first 90 days expire. You cannot technucally apply until day 90, but best to prepare and book appointments ahead of time. However, it is important to note that once you submit the visa extension application, you will be allowed a 20 day leeway beyond the 90 days to request the extension; According to the Migration Office in Quito.

The process and flexibility of the application process varies somewhat between provinces, so decide ahead of time where you will be spending the most time as the initial 90 day period comes to an end. An additional side-note; The date of day-one for the initial 90 day period in Ecuador firmly establishes the earliest date in the following years that you be allowed to enter Ecuador and repeat the start of a new, initial 90 day tourist visa for that following year and ALL subsequent years.

@rkg695Thank you so much, for the detailed information! We're excited about the prospect of exploring Ecuador. Just to clarify, based on your information, the maximum period for free living in Ecuador is 180 days per year, correct?

Drawing on our experience in Turkey, where we used the Ikamet temporary residence option that was extendable annually, we're curious if there are similar options in Ecuador. Specifically, are there other types of visas that would allow for a more extended stay without the need for significant investment or study commitments? We've been considering the possibility of a digital nomad visa, but we're concerned about the associated costs. Are there alternative options we could explore?

Your insights have been incredibly helpful, and we appreciate your guidance.

@Behnoodkalani  Yes, that is correct - maximum 180 days through tourist/visitor visas. And apart from the independent income and education visas you mentioned, also correct; Ecuador encourages investment in the country, as well as establishing that you have the financial income and or resources to live here, without adding to the strain on the health and welfare systems in place for the benefit of its citizens. Best of luck to you, and please be sure to have a look through the other "Forums" of discussion here (under the Menu tab); There is a wide variety of information being posted and updated you'll find useful for starting a new life in Ecuador.

@rkg695 Thank you so much. For sure I'll check and try to ask my questions in other discussions as well.

Also wanted to chime in, as Ecuador has some 'quirky' residency laws.

You've already been looking into Temporary Resident Visas, which are 2 years in duration, and can be obtained on a number of ways ( investor, retirement, etc.)  Each has their own requirements but they all funnel through to the Permanent Resident Visa, which can be applied for after 21 months of residency in Ecuador.  There is a newer additional option of renewing a TempRes Visa, with much less paperwork than getting one all over.

NOTE:  If you are on a TempRes Visa, with the intention of applying for a PermRes after 21 months, you can not have left the country for more than 90 days TOTAL of the entire 21 months of residency.   There is freedom to come and go as much as you like during the TempRes Visa, but you would only have the option of renewal if you left the country for more than 90 days total. 

One you have the PermRes Visa, it does not expire but still carries with it travel restrictions, 180 per year th first two years.  After that there is still some restriction, more days allowable, but in all cases with the Perm Visa you can lose it and/or pay a penalty if you exceed time out of country.

I'm not  a lawyer, just a personal interest in keeping up with laws, as a permanent resident here.