Coming to Panama for the first time to check out the areas to move

Hello,

I'm leaving next week to come to Panama for the first time, to check out the different properties there.

I'll be in Panama next week on January 9, 2024 for 2 weeks, looking to possible relocate there.

I'm looking for a 2 & 2.

I'm retired and looking where to move there, that they have good healthcare, and it's affordable.

I will check out Panama City, and the beach areas. I was told that Panama City is more expensive, than Coronado, Panama and other beach towns there.

I live near the ocean in the states, and love being close to there.

I live in CA. not far from the ocean, but it is too expensive to buy here.

My main concern being retired, is the healthcare systems being in close proximity, markets etc.

Any suggestions, would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Coronado is a very nice area. I spent November this year there.

Lots of amenities. There is many expats living in the area.

I found a 2 bedroom for 425.00 a month US.

@yvescjlefebvre

Wow!  I'm also going there there next week and I didn't even plan on looking in Coronado bc of the prices! Did

you have a realtor or was it an Air BB?  I think I need to rethink my itinerary haha!

Thanks!

Kathy

Panama City, and then David probably have the most healthcare options. We live in David and have been very happy with our experiences. Panama City is expensive, and anyplace with lots of expats will be higher as well (eg Coronado, Boquete)

Panama City is not a beach area. There are only yucky mud flats. There are beach areas in Chiriqui, but not all that close to David and healthcare. Pedasi and Azuero Peninsula area is known for beaches, but again, there are clinics but not healthcare centers. Coronado is expensive but there are nearby towns and a lot of beach areas you might enjoy.

Do NOT buy any property!! Rent for at least a year to be sure you know what's going to work for you. Things here are not selling so changing your mind is very difficult. We've been here 11 years and are still renting. It's easy, our money is in the bank, not the house, landlord takes care of big things, and if/when we are out of here the family doesn't need to deal with a property in another country.

We live in David  (I know, I know... it's so hot ♨️ - but the beaches are hotter, IMO)  We have all the healthcare we would need, and shopping options, and anything else a city has to offer. It's a working city, not a tourist destination, but for daily living we have been very happy. The beaches are to the south, and mountains to the north. I don't want to live in Boquete but it's nice to have it nearby for the many activities available there.

Where in CA? My daughter lives in Santa Rosa. I love CA but it's crazy expensive! Best wishes. I hope you find a place that's just right for you.

Don't buy, I agree. First check many places out. It may not be your cup of tea. I found the extreme heat oppressive. It's always hot, even at night.

Next I went to equador, which is where I am now.

I much prefer the climate.

I am in Olon, right on the beach.

The cost of housing and living is FAR more affordable. Lots of expats.

It's a hidden jewel.

I discovered it purely by accident.

The basic necessities (internet, health care, animal care) are fairly good.

Guyaquil is the closest city that has excellent ammenities.

It's a 3 hour bus ride, but the bus cost 7.50. Nice busses, air conditioned.

I vas very surprised.

Also the cost if living compared to zpanams is at least 20 percent cheaper, and more.

It's cheaper to eat out than cook..lol.

My choice is equador, hands down.

Panama city is like dirty, the pollution and noise is overwhelming.

You get "gringoed" all the time.

Manzana 130407 42-67, Las Lajas, Provincia de Panamá Oeste, Panama

Try this place, it's where I was in coronodo.

All the details should be there.

Let me know if it doesn't work.

A suggestion, learn to use WHATSAPP.

EVERYTHING is done on the app.

If you like, you can contact me via email.

I may be able to help getting to know things.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you so much for your input.

I'm in the Oxnard, CA area.

I'm looking at buying an affordable property, and relocating there, but I want to be closer to Panama City, or Coronado beach areas, just a concern for healthcare and being close to facilities.

It's still affordable in Panama, and I'm working with a realtor.

@yvescjlefebvre

Thank you, I'm looking at buying an affordable property there.

@pathsl Check out the Azuero, the closest thing to California Beach Vibe without the expense. We have lived here for ten years, came from California, and and will NEVER return.

@pathsl

Hellooo.. i'm Tracy… nice to meet you  😊 I'm just curious how was your visit?  Did you find a place to rent? If so, what area? I will be scouting out the different locations in December. i'm thinking I will live in one of the city neighborhoods for the first year and then head towards the beach. Ultimately, I would like to live in a small walkable beach town. Researching Pedasi.  I am also retired living in San Diego, and I'm excited to actually have an affordable place to retire, actually live and enjoy life not work to live! I can't wait! any advice you have will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!🌟🏝️😊

@yvescjlefebvre Hellooo,

I haven't done my scouting trip to Panama yet. I'm still in California. I will be there this December. I'm researching Coronado, it sounds like you need a car to get around there. Is that true? I heard there are not a lot of Ubers out there. The town looks lovely but is it a walkable town? I heard it is not.  I will not be buying a car there anytime soon so it's important for me to have a place I can live and shop and have stores restaurants entertainment all within walking distance or at least an Uber ride away.

thank you for your help  😊🌟🏝️

@kristc99

Hi Kisti (I'm hoping that's your name from your profile) 😂

thanks for the great information. I live in San Diego and I'm planning on moving there in December of this year. I'm interviewing attorneys now to do my Pensionado visa. I have been doing tons of research! It's good to talk to someone like you who has lived there for so many years to get the best advice.

As an empty Nestor,, I'm thinking of renting for a year in the city. from what I hear, realtors aren't my best option to get the best price in a rental. I don't know anyone there, so I think I'm going to need a realtor to find a nice two bedroom apartment. What are your thoughts? Is there someplace else I can go to look besides craigslist if you don't recommend a realtor.

Also, how far is David from the beach? I ultimately want to end up in a nice, quaint, walkable beach town with shops, restaurants, culture.

Do you and your husband own a car? I do not plan on buying one anytime soon. That's why I thought living in the city for the first year would be a great thing to learn the buses trains, etc. And I know they have Ubers there. Is there public transportation in your town? Uber? Buses? are you in a walkable town?

Also… what's the nitty-gritty on singles there? I know you're married, but am I going to be bored, stiff, hanging out with married couples in the suburbs at the beach? 🏝️ 😂

I'm the type who has never met a stranger, so I have no problem meeting new people. I love People! 🤗 Ultimately, I would like to meet a nice man there, but are there any singles in these small towns? The city? From what I'm seeing…all the expats are either married or single women! 😂  Do I have any hope of meeting a nice 50 something single man?😂

Thanks for your time.  hope to meet you one day! 🤗

Tracy

@yvescjlefebvre

Hi Yves,

is Ecuador safe? What's the economy like there? Is it like a jungle? The town you're living in? I just talked to Amanda the other day here in San Diego who just bought property in Ecuador and I thought Ecuador? I had never even considered Ecuador. Now you're saying you can live a nice beach life inexpensive. Sounds fabulous. Do they have discounts like Panama does for the Expats with pensions? I guess I could Google all this but you're right there living it, so why not go to the source?😂

Thanks! 🤗🏝️

@Sunnymikkel

Hi Sunny,

Is your town a walkable beach town? I'm currently in California and I'm looking forward to moving to Panama the end of the year. Your city sounds great! do you have a car? I am not planning on buying a car anytime soon so public transportation and a walkable community is very important to me.

Are there a lot of Expats in your town? of course I'm interested in meeting local people as well as Expats. I definitely love to explore different countries and learn about the culture and the people there. I'm looking forward to that part. 😊

Thank You!  🤗🏝️🌟

Tracy

@Choosehappychoosehappy  hi!  Look up Bob Adams on YouTube. He lives in Panama City and knows trusted, ethical realtors there.

The closest beach to David is maybe 45 minutes away, but i dont think any beaches in Chiriqui are what you are looking for. There are beach houses, a hotel or two, and that's all, no town, no shopping. La Barqueta, the closest to us has few full time residents so even your social opportunities could be limited. i would look at Coronado, Gorgona, somewhere around there, or Pedasi, Las Tablas, and that general area.

There are many people who go their whole lives without owning a car. Public transportation is available everywhere, and there are also taxis. Uber is growing but i can't say if it would be readily available in any particular area outside of Panama City. I'd say pretty much anywhere is walkable depending on your endurance and tolerance of walking along the side of the road or uneven sidewalks. But people are very used to pedestrians and happy to drive around you if needed. It's hard to give you a clear picture with words so you'll see much better when you visit. People are considerate and respectful of others needs. Myself, i ride my bike a lot for errands or just for fun, and i haven't had any problems in the streets.

You should be fine here as a single. I know many happy singles. But it will depend on where you land, and if there are other expats there to socialize with or even better, if you know enough Spanish to make friends with the locals. I've found them very friendly,  welcoming, and a lot if fun to be around. Most of the expats i know are in gringoland Boquete, and there are a number of single guys up there. There are many handsome and sweet Panamanian men also, but be aware that they are used to more traditional relationships and might find us a bit difficult in some ways.

You sound like me. People are fun and interesting! I have a feeling you will have a good time here.

Kris

Thank you Kris! You're the BEST! 🤗 Thanks so much for the 411! I appreciate it! 😊 I will definitely check out your referrals.

I hope you have a great night!

Cheers! 🎉🌟

Aww thank you 😁🤗

@Sunnymikkel where on the Azuero Peninsula do you live?  What are your suggestions for expats with families who love the beaches, outdoors (but the Mamaa ... ie. Me, LOL, doesn't do well with extreme heat).  Thanks so much, Maria

@Sunnymikkel which beach area in Azuero do you live?  What do you suggest for expats with younger children?  Also, the Mamaa of this family, yes, Me LOL.... cannot tolerate extreme heat, so what are El Rompio, and Uverita, and other areas like?  Are there any really HILLY cooler areas within walking distance or 5-8 mins drive of any of these Azuero beaches, which might be a bit cooler for daily living?  AND, is it better to live closer to Chitre or Las Tablas.  Thanks so much in advance for your help! 🙏💙