Looking forward to becoming a Cuencana soon

I am looking forward to becoming a Cuencana soon.  I visited for the first time last month and all the great things I read about it were true; the abundance of fresh, organic fruit and veg; the warm hospitable nature of the people; Cuenca's beauty, underscored by the historic architecture, rivers, green spaces and many parks (i mean, Parque Paraiso!); affordable cost of living including plenty of inexpensive transportation options and the diversity of its cultural and restaurant/cafes/bakery offerings.  The bad things I was led to believe were either untrue or not so bad. There are not more stray dogs than people; while it's true that some folks let their dogs out like we let our cats out in the US, none that I saw approached me or were aggressive. i saw loads of folks out walking their dogs on leashes too. The weather is not always gloomy, wet and cold; drought is a present problem, but coming from FL, it felt ten degrees warmer in Cuenca than the stated temp (62f felt like 72), I saw plenty of sunshine and welcome afternoon showers. And lastly, not all nationals are poor; many live better than the so-called "rich" ex pats. Most are hardworking, proud, family-oriented folks.  i did not need to conceal my cell phone or shun jewelry as I had been warned, as everyone had their cell phones out, snapping pics and selfies, just like here.  i used common sense and never felt unsafe walking alone in Cuenca.  Maybe I was lucky, but I cant wait to go back for good! Electricity Gods be with us!

@wlabarge

With regard to dogs.

We Americans really do project the best of the U.S. and look at the worst of everywhere else.

I have friends in San Antonio, TX - southside.  If you go for a walk in that area, you are at risk of getting attacked by pitbulls.  That's common in a lot of lower income communities in the U.S. and pitbull attacks are vicious and often fatal.

In all the videos I've seen of Ecuador, I don't recall seeing pitbulls everywhere.  So, normal dogs wandering the streets vs. roaming U.S. pitbulls are 2 different things.

Seems people fool themselves into thinking the U.S. is safer than it really is.

Hello everyone,

Please note that this new thread was created on the Cuenca forum so that members can share their views on life in Cuenca and how they feel living there.

All the best to the OP

Bhavna