Trying to get out of an expired real estate contract

Hi,

My ex husband is/was under contract to buy a house. The sellers are two weeks past the closing date because they didn't have their ducks in a row and they switched attorneys halfway through the process.

So he told the agent yesterday that he wanted to cancel the purchase because he found another house that's going to be a fast close.

The agent said he'll lose his deposit and be sued. Is that true even though the contract is two weeks past the closing date?

Thanks

The realtor is lying to you.   The buyer can walk away after your contract has expired.  We have a real estate lawyer we are using and she is very inexpensive.  You can message me if you want her number

I am sorry you are dealing with this

We have had a nightmare with buying a home here..sorry but you can't trust the real estate agent, the loan officers either.  I have bought 2 home in the past in the usa and never dealt with what we are going through here.   If I knew it was going to be this bad I wouldn't have even gave money for escrow , I would have walked away.  We have a clause that our lawyer put in that we let escrow back if the house does appraisal for the buyers asking price or if there is issues with crim etc that we get our escrow back. So hopefully you are protected as well.

We are getting an appraisal done on Wednesday and if it does appraise correctly I will be more then happy to walk away and get our escrow back.    We will end up losing the money we had to pay for appraisal,  flood evaluation,  the plot and survey, crim stuff etc

It's really disgusting the stuff they get away with here.

It's a mess alright. I bought my HUD home with no issues on their end, but two months later I still don't have lights. I'll message you now.

@fincanuevacreacion

Wow that's absolutely horrible.

What is luma saying why you don't have power?

This Federal Agency might be able to help if you have an issue with a lender.  https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

@sandrarduncan

please message me with her info. we have been looking for an attorney. Do they speak english? We only speak  some Spanish, and need a good translator.

@raynerro335

What area of Puerto Rico are you in??  I've had my attorney in Mayaguez for over 20 years and she is great, helped me on everything from Real Estate transactions to setting up my WILL for properties I own in PR.  There inheritance laws can be a bit tricky compared to the states.